How good is Michael Johnson?

Hydrated RDA

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
For some reason this guy gets a lot of hate (probably for that Gathjie trash talk). Though just cause you don’t like him doesn’t mean you can’t give him his credit. His fighting style is pressure, explosive, and good wrestling and stand up. Although he might have lost 4 out of his 5 fights, how good is he? He has had fights he should of won but lost like to Diaz, Brookins, and Maidadi. He was robbed by Dariush. His notable wins tho make up for those losses.
He starched Dustin Poirier
giphy.gif

Whooped Barboza’s ass
3.gif

Last person to beat Tony Ferguson
B9C9DE09-01FE-4224-B95E-FEDCC985EF45.jpeg
Other wins against Tibau and Lauzon. Hopefully he’s successful at FW. Very underrated at LW. He probably got the heaviest hands at FW
51B86D1B-18E8-48F5-B5DA-7F9AD5B69421.jpeg

Top 4 goat lw

Y'all don't know who Michael Johnson is, do you?

He’s a very dangerous fighter who can beat a lot of the top ten on his best night. He’s just inconsistent.

I’m curious if he will still have a handspeed advantage at FW.

Dude has super explosive hands. He just needs to improve his fight IQ. He is a skilled striker but not a smart one.

He's good, i think his current ranking of 10 is pretty accurate. Havent really seen anyone hate him except flame him a little bit for him complaining about his spot on tomorrows card because of his recent losses but i actually agreed with him considering there's WMMA on the main card.

It'll be interesting tomorrow. Wonder how he's gonna look after two brutal stoppages and a new weight class.

He's well rounded with heavy hands....problem is he doesn't pace most of the time. He puts all his power in every punch. Once the fight goes beyond 2nd rnd he get's in trouble most of the time. Any decent technical striker beats him.

Brilliant conclusion. So all you need to beat Ferguson, Poirer, and Barboza is speed. Fighters should take notice.
Ferguson & Poirier yes, Barboza you would need pressure and not let him set his striking + speed.

Well his fighting I like, but his attitude I do not. I think he blows up Elkins though.

You cant develop speed like that
My post was intended to be tongue in cheek

He's well rounded with heavy hands....problem is he doesn't pace most of the time. He puts all his power in every punch. Once the fight goes beyond 2nd rnd he get's in trouble most of the time. Any decent technical striker beats him.

I agree for the most part but I consider Poirer and Barboza to be technical strikers and MJ beat them both handily

He has the ability to beat most of the fighters he has lost to, except for Khabib. He just needs to fight a little bit smarter. Entertainment wise I hope he doesn't though.

He kind of reminds me of a young Melvin Guillard or Paul Daley (and not because he's black and athletic).

Extremely heavy handed, lightning speed and unlike the aforementioned fighters, really excellent wrestling. As others have posted, he is extremely inconsistent, and just doesn't seem to string it together when he needs to the most. I think it has less to do with fight IQ, and more to do with how he handles pressure. When he is the aggressor/bully in a fight, he is a world beater. When he gets pressured, he kind of forgets about the tools he has at his disposal and goes into survival mode.

Very good fighter but too small at lightweight.

Looked tiny against Barboza, Gaethe, and Khabib.

Be interesting to see how he does at feather.

For some reason this guy gets a lot of hate (probably for that Gathjie trash talk). Though just cause you don’t like him doesn’t mean you can’t give him his credit. His fighting style is pressure, explosive, and good wrestling and stand up. Although he might have lost 4 out of his 5 fights, how good is he? He has had fights he should of won but lost like to Diaz, Brookins, and Maidadi. He was robbed by Dariush. His notable wins tho make up for those losses.
He starched Dustin Poirier
giphy.gif

Whooped Barboza’s ass
3.gif

Last person to beat Tony Ferguson
View attachment 324565
Other wins against Tibau and Lauzon. Hopefully he’s successful at FW. Very underrated at LW. He probably got the heaviest hands at FW
View attachment 324567

And he lost to:
- Nate
- Khabib
- Dariush
- Miles Jury
- Krausse
- Gaethje
- Brookins
- Sass
- Eric Marriott
- Madadi
- Joe Brammer
- Ted Worthington

He is 17-12

I know, you are wondering who the fuck are some of those guys

He's pretty average

I expect him to beat Elkins though

My post was intended to be tongue in cheek

I agree for the most part but I consider Poirer and Barboza to be technical strikers and MJ beat them both handily
Poirier isn't technical. He's becoming more technical. He is like Gaethje. I see him using more jabs nowadays so a rematch with MJ would be interesting. Barboza as I said, doesn't like getting pressured. Any fighter who can push Edson and force him to backpedal and not let him setup his kicks, he always gets in trouble.

Back