How good is Anthony Joshua?

No chance Joshua is still a novice he hasnt even had 20 pro fights. He hasn't hit his peak..

Joshua fought the best version of Wlad we have seen in a very long time.

That Wlad would have beat fury easily.

Joshua is the best heavyweight since Lewis, and has the potential to be as good as any heavyweight we have seen. Lets just hope to see there is some top class competition coming through over the next 5 years to see how good he can be.

There is another young british fighter coming throug who has the potential to challenge joshua but he is 3 or 4 years away from challenging him.
Give me a break Wlad is 41 with tons of fights and milage. 10 years ago he would have mopped Joshua, almost did at 41.

He has a decent offensive skillset to go with his considerable physical gifts. He has a nice punch selection and he isn't limited to only being effective at a single range. That said, he still has a question mark around his stamina (even if he did get a second wind last time out), and he did look genuinely confused for stretches when Wlad chose to move and fight more defensively. He's probably the best there is out there at the moment, but if he wants to be considered genuinely great, he has a fairly long ways to go (and I don't think he'll ever really get there, although, there is nothing wrong with that; he can still be a fairly dominant HW and a massive star).

Give me a break Wlad is 41 with tons of fights and milage. 10 years ago he would have mopped Joshua, almost did at 41.

It was Joshua's first big fight. He is a relatibe novice and still a few years off his peak.. that is the best i have seen wlad fight in a very long time. He was more motivated and in better shape than in a very long time.

Heavyweights are normally only at there peak in there late 30's anyway so lets not pretend joshius was fighting a washed up old man. The wlad that fought Joshua would have beaten fury... he didn't respect fury in the same way as he did Joshua amd paod the price.

Joshua has a 100% knockout record i don't see anyone going the distance with him.

It was a massive learning experience for Joshua and he will be a much better boxer for it in the future.

Mike Tyson is the most overrated fighter of all time. He lost to every good fighter that he went up against like Holyfield douglas and Lennox

Tyson beat a bunch of cans. Who is his best win, Spinx? LOL

overrated by dick riders and underrated by haters

It was Joshua's first big fight. He is a relatibe novice and still a few years off his peak.. that is the best i have seen wlad fight in a very long time. He was more motivated and in better shape than in a very long time.

Heavyweights are normally only at there peak in there late 30's anyway so lets not pretend joshius was fighting a washed up old man. The wlad that fought Joshua would have beaten fury... he didn't respect fury in the same way as he did Joshua amd paod the price.

Joshua has a 100% knockout record i don't see anyone going the distance with him.

It was a massive learning experience for Joshua and he will be a much better boxer for it in the future.

It's that Fury has better movement. Oldest heavyweight champion ever is 45, next is 38 and after that 36. So your late 30's line is the stupidest thing I've read on Sherdog so far.

Mike Tyson is the most overrated fighter of all time. He lost to every good fighter that he went up against like Holyfield douglas and Lennox

Tyson beat a bunch of cans. Who is his best win, Spinx? LOL

Larry Holmes, Tony Tucker, Trevor Berbick, Tyron Briggs, Razor Ruddock etc

Last edited:
It's that Fury has better movement. Oldest heavyweight champion ever is 45, next is 38 and after that 36. So your late 30's line is the stupidest thing I've read on Sherdog so far.

Heavyweight fighters are usually at there peaks in there mid 30's and don't decline as quickly as fighters at lighterweights usually do.

Wlad was 39 when he lost his titles, and is probably still the 2nd or 3rd best heavyweight in the world at 41.

Heavyweight fighters are usually at there peaks in there mid 30's and don't decline as quickly as fighters at lighterweights usually do.
That's just not true. Only been a handful of mid 30 heavyweight champions ever.

That's just not true. Only been a handful of mid 30 heavyweight champions ever.

The laat 2 main heavyweight champions beford fury/joshua spanning the last 17 years havs been in there mid 2 late 30's so i would massively disagree... klitschko and lewis..there was holyfield aswell prior.. so over the last generation the heavyweight champions have primarily been in there mid to late 30's

The only heavyweight champions to EVER win a championship after 35 had already been a world champion before, usually multiple times (Ali, Foreman, Wlad, Holyfield). All of them would have lost to a younger version of themselves. A heavyweight prime is about 29-32.

Joshua is the best heavyweight now and could end up being a legend.

He's very good. Super talented, anf likely the best in the division right now.That being said, he beat a guy who was on the wrong side of 40 and had just been schooled by an overweight dude with cinderblocks for feet. Not to mention his history of having a soft chin and poor punch resistance. Yes he won, but it's not like he wiped the floor with Wlad. He went tooth and nail.

There's a wee bit of revisionist history about Wlad now, mostly by Joshua fans, since Joshua beat him. I just feel like the rating of Joshua has been inflated because the quality of his performance, and opponent, have been conflated with the quality of the fight (which was great). But Joshua isn't great. Not even close. Yet.

My only worry about him, which others have stated, is his bulk. But that shouldn't be a problem until he has to dig deep stamina wise. (The Wlad fight was tough, but Wlad doesn't exactly set a fast pace. I'd worry if someone really went after him for 12 rounds. But idk if that guy is out here right now.)

Hes not exactly a technical wizard but hes big, hits hard and his skills are decent enough.

he's the best right now.

I reckon the Tyson Fury that beat Wlad would cause massive problems for AJ. Wlad would still have a decent shot in the rematch too. Shame they've both taken themselves out of the equation.

Other than that, Ortiz could be a threat if they can make the fight happen before hes in a retirement home. Usyk if he came up could be a handful as well.

Wilder, Parker et al lose to Joshua.

I reckon the Tyson Fury that beat Wlad would cause massive problems for AJ. Wlad would still have a decent shot in the rematch too. Shame they've both taken themselves out of the equation.

Other than that, Ortiz could be a threat if they can make the fight happen before hes in a retirement home.
meh, i don't understand how anyone's impressed by fury's victory over wlad. that was the most uneventful fight ever, they stood there staring at each other, then clinched. that's not how joshua fights, and fury's herky jerky style wouldn't help him much. i think AJ puts him on his ass pretty quickly. i feel wlad would get finished in the rematch as well, only quicker.

and ortiz's issue isn't age, it's his inability to not get caught roiding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back