How good and relevant is fujiwara submission master DVDs?

snowman22

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
This DVDs all in Japanese. Is there any problem learning without the translation? Is this DVD still relevant today given its age?

Last edited:
Other than a neat kimira grip not really worth buying

My 2nd Pro Rasslin Shoot style match , he was on the same card, got a nice pic, seemed like decent guy

^ seriously all this guy does is name drop.

The clips I've seen of it I think are very useful and educational, but I think unless you have another person learning grappling regularly with you who is willing to try catch stuff, you may not get much use out of it. Not because its useless, but because it's hard to use the stuff you've learned in the DVD unless you do a catch wrestling class.

For a similar example, because of my sambo training, even when I try some more BJJ style submissions like gogoplatas and stuff like that, I don't have those fundamentals particularly sound because I don't really get to practise them much because I'm doing so much different stuff.

They are entertaining, and they are a good glimpse back in time into another era, but in terms of showing the high percentage stuff that you see again and again in modern competition (or even on the training mat against an equally skilled opponent), well, most of it can be safely ignored. Then again, maybe seeing that one crazy technique will give you the inspiration to invent the next big thing in BJJ...

You know, I'm not sure how long the Fujiwara instructional is, but a long clip of it is available on youtube. It is in Japanese like you said, but if you are an experienced grappler it isn't like the stuff is beyond your understanding or anything.

As far as how "high percentage" it is, or how applicable, well, people have been doing armlocks and neck cranks for a very, very long time. I don't think it is bad to know anything. At the very least just to know that these things are possible and could, potentially, be used against you. Or maybe you'll see something he did and it may really click for you.

In the sales copy it mentioned the infamous Fujiwara 'oil check'. I didn't see it anywhere within those DVDs.

Back