How far would prime Roy Jones. Jr have come in this era?

I always try to see what it was about Robinson and Roy Jones always comes to mind. When I compare athleic, physical and style attributes, everytime I can't see how Ray would handle Roy. I mean Ray Robinson inhis prime got KO'd by lesser guys.
In Ray’s famous loss to LaMotta, he had fought two weeks prior, I think. He fought two or three times a month, he HAD to be fighting hurt and having off nights, yet he didn’t start really getting beat until way late in his career. I can’t say much about how the style of the times match up, but there is no way to pick apart his record, really. It’s virtually unmatched by anyone.

*and beat LaMotta like... five times? Funny that that was even turned into a ‘rivalry’

In Ray’s famous loss to LaMotta, he had fought two weeks prior, I think. He fought two or three times a month, he HAD to be fighting hurt and having off nights, yet he didn’t start really getting beat until way late in his career. I can’t say much about how the style of the times match up, but there is no way to pick apart his record, really. It’s virtually unmatched by anyone.

*and beat LaMotta like... five times? Funny that that was even turned into a ‘rivalry’
Looks like I am wrong. It had been a month and a half since he had fought when he fought LaMotta.
His only stoppage loss was against Maxim, lhw champ, and he was winning handily.

That's all fine. Im looking at style match-up, speed, power agility, athleticism, ring IQ.

I absolutely love Golovkin (and want him to crossover to MMA SO bad), but he is a sitting duck for Roy. Terrible matchup. Too slow and plodding, and too tough, would just eat wayyyy too many punches. Roy would tee off on him.
more than likely Roy would've ducked GGG per Tom Loeffler

Roy, at his peak, before going to HW, was the best ever at beating retired cops.

Considering Jones was schooled by old McCallum, I would say Golovkin in his prime fighting in a similar fashion as McCallum but more explosive and better athlete would finish Jones by the later rounds.

Considering Jones was schooled by old McCallum, I would say Golovkin in his prime fighting in a similar fashion as McCallum but more explosive and better athlete would finish Jones by the later rounds.

Jones got schooled by McCallum? Golovkin has a similar skillset to McCallum? Interesting stuff.

Josuha wrecks any version of Roy Jones.

HW these days are much bigger and better.

I think joshua would even bullrush Ali.
tenor.gif

AJ_Pike_GIF_copy.gif

Jones got schooled by McCallum? Golovkin has a similar skillset to McCallum? Interesting stuff.
Do you even box?
Yep he got schooled. Watch the fight. This is perhaps the only fight Jones feels uncomfortable at his prime.

Both Mike and GGG cut.the.ring, position greatly, work of the jab and wreck the body. Both wonderful pressure counter punchers with subtle slips and weaves and using elbows and other body parts as defensive tools. Again their strenghts are working in good positioning and the.jab. McCallum is more text book boxer while GGG more athletic and bigger puncher that are the main differences.

Do you even box?
Yep he got schooled. Watch the fight. This is perhaps the only fight Jones feels uncomfortable at his prime.

Both Mike and GGG cut.the.ring, position greatly, work of the jab and wreck the body. Both wonderful pressure counter punchers with subtle slips and weaves and using elbows and other body parts as defensive tools. Again their strenghts are working in good positioning and the.jab. McCallum is more text book boxer while GGG more athletic and bigger puncher that are the main differences.

Reading is fundamental son.

You do realize Mike said in his “ The best I ever faced” interview that Roy was the smartsest fighter he had ever been in the ring with don’t you? He said Roy was a “ step ahead of me all night.” These are his words not mine.

Do you even box?

Wow. Giving a good account of yourself yet still getting beat wide is schooling a guy, now. Interesting stuff. You're comparing the body punching of Mike McCallum, one of the best body punchers in history, with a guy who barely threw and landed to the body against the only two genuinely good fighters he has ever faced? Do you rate Canelo and Jacobs that much higher than Roy Jones Jr.?

I don’t think the divisions are as deep as they used to be and he’d do fine at lightheavy and dominate the lighter classes.

I am not a huge fan of RJJ but check out this first hand account of Roy fighting Gerald Mcclellan by John Scully

"It was a great fight though and the decision was legitimate. It was a good back and forth fight. A lot of people get on Roy about boxing too much and being careful, but when Roy wanted to dig down and fight, he could. I remember I was fighting that day. I was gonna fight like two fights later and I was supposed to be loosening up, but the fight was so good. Hell, I remember I had my gloves on and was suited up, but I actually sat there and watched that fight because it was so good. I remember Roy was on the ropes for a lot of the fight, especially in the 2nd round. Gerald had him pinned to the ropes, but Roy was giving just as much as he got off the ropes. He was bombing Gerald with combinations. It was definitely...I would say in my life, it was probably...certainly top 5 amateur fights I've ever seen; maybe even top 3. It was a war. Anybody that was there will tell you that it was a fight. Roy didn't box. Roy was a great boxer as an amateur. Speed was his thing, just like as a pro. I don't know if Gerald made him fight or if he chose to fight, but he fought."

Here is the full article http://www.fighthype.com/news/article18324.html

Back