How far would Cus D'amato's Tyson have gone

The best is when the nuthuggers say he wasn’t in his prime for the douglas fight

Seriously i dunno if i have ever heard anything so ridiculous.

The best is when the nuthuggers say he wasn’t in his prime for the douglas fight

Physically/age, at his peak. Mentally, nope.

overrated/under-realized

I remember reading somewhere that Cus said he would never want Tyson to fight Foreman. And he never did. In my book, it ends there.

dude was doing copious amounts of coke and banging prostitutes instead of training.

no one is saying he was too old. people are saying he was in shit shape for that fight.

You could say that about a lot of fighters though. You can’t hold onto woulda’s and coulda’s, only what they’ve done.

What if Buster Douglas put the same effort into every fight, the same as the night he did with Tyson? Some fighters just don’t have what it takes to keep a consistent effort.

dude was doing copious amounts of coke and banging prostitutes instead of training.

no one is saying he was too old. people are saying he was in shit shape for that fight.
And whos fault is that?

If it was any other fighter he would be shitted on for it so its rightfully so that he does too.

But this whole he wasn’t in his prime stuff is lunacy. You train like an idiot you fight like shit. Nothing to do with primes

And whos fault is that?

If it was any other fighter he would be shitted on for it so its rightfully so that he does too.

But this whole he wasn’t in his prime stuff is lunacy. You train like an idiot you fight like shit. Nothing to do with primes
Hes pretty much unanimously called one of the biggest wastes of talent ever.

And whos fault is that?

well yeah. it's not like anyone's saying it wasn't his fault. they're saying he wasn't in prime condition. i don't see the problem with stating that obvious fact.

I don't it would have changed things for his whole career. I do believe that Cus could have had a more encouraging effect, to be sure. Still, a ghetto kid getting the world title at 20 and then all the riches imaginable would surely have a corrupting effect. Plus, pressure fighters with a high workrate fade. The usually don't do well after 30.

Early Lewis gets blown out by prime Tyson. Older Lewis had better balance and more savvy, closer fight.

Holyfield gives everyone the gut check. Hard to say, but I could see a prime Holyfield winning potentially.

“If” Cus could keep Tyson somewhat disciplined and Rooney stayed as his trainer, Tyson would have run his record past 50-0 easily. He was in his prime vs Douglas, but he was not in proper fighting shape both physically and mentally. Only guy I’d favor over him is a seasoned Lewis.

He still would have lost to Douglas in tokyo, he was just too damn good that night.

Tyson should have cut to cruiser and he’d be the GOAT

Back