How far would Cus D'amato's Tyson have gone

Mysterio

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think the decline this guy faced after Cus died is one of the most real stories of self destruction in boxing history.

He literally owed his entire career to him and when he was gone he was a misguided, delinquent, shell of his former self.

D'Amato/Rooney trained Tyson KOs Holyfield but loses to Lewis.

GOAT discussion would've had merit by now. Dude KOs Holyfield and avoids Lewis, knowcking out guys until retirement.

You guys do realize Cus died when Tyson was 13-0 and just starting out?

Not really sure why ppl act as if he had a downward spiral, he literally won his next 24 fights after Cus passed.

But go on with this dumbass narrative

I think the decline this guy faced after Cus died is one of the most real stories of self destruction in boxing history.
More like one of the biggest myths made up by millennials who discovered Tyson with Very Bad Trip.

Cus died in 1985. Tyson then went on to become the youngest HW world champion the next year and defended his title multiple times. His decline began when he fired Kevin Rooney in 1988. That's why we all say Tyson's prime lasted from 1986-1988.

Kevin was Mike's real trainer, Cus was just a paternal figure. It was always Kevin who worked with Mike on the mitts or coached him ringside (Cus never travelled to events and just sat home waiting for the phone call). To an interviewer who asked him what he'd learned from Cus, Mike said "he didn't train me technically, just talked to me for hours about life in general".

Sure, Cus played a very important part in Tyson's life; he taught him to clean his room and built his confidence. He even trained Rooney who went on to train Mike. One could even argue had Cus been alive longer, Tyson would never had parted ways who Rooney and would have had a much better career but let's stop with the narrative that Cus' death marked the start of Mike's decline because it's simply not true.

Last edited:

Not really sure why ppl act as if he had a downward spiral, he literally won his next 24 fights after Cus passed.

No, no, no... this is bullshit.

After Cus died Tyson stayed with Rooney and while their professional relationship was good, Tyson declined emotionally after the death of his father figure, and his working relationship with Rooney became a mess. When they parted ways the decline was reaching its zenith.

More like one of the biggest myths made up by millennials who discovered Tyson with Very Bad Trip.

Cus died in 1985. Tyson then went on to become the youngest HW world champion the next year and defended his title multiple times. His decline began when he fired Kevin Rooney in 1988. That's why we all say Tyson's prime lasted from 1986-1988.

Kevin was Mike's real trainer, Cus was just a paternal figure. It was always Kevin who worked with Mike on the mitts or coached him ringside (Cus never travelled to events and just sat home waiting for the phone call). To an interviewer who asked him what he'd learned from Cus, Mike said "he didn't trained me technically, just talked to me for hours about life in general".

Sure, Cus played a very important part in Tyson's life; he taught him to clean his room and built his confidence. He even trained Rooney who went on to train Mike. One could even argue had Cus been alive longer, Tyson would never had parted ways who Rooney and would have had a much better career but let's stop with the narrative that Cus' death marked the start of Mike's decline because it's simply not true.
Rooney was a great trainer but he wasn't a great mentor.

Mike needed both to hold himself together, being unstable as he was, and his relationship with Rooney deteriorated as a result.

No, no, no... this is bullshit.

After Cus died Tyson stayed with Rooney and while their professional relationship was good, Tyson declined emotionally after the death of his father figure, and his working relationship with Rooney became a mess. When they parted ways the decline was reaching its zenith.
So the "zenith" of Mike Tyson's decline was his fight against Michael Spinks in 1988. Consider never posting again.

So the "zenith" of Mike Tyson's decline was his fight against Michael Spinks in 1988. Consider never posting again.
I said it was "reaching" its zenith. He lost 6 months later and got dropped in sparring prior.

Please stop being condescending. This is what I do. You have no chance.

Tyson is probably the most overrated fighter of all time.

Tyson is probably the most overrated fighter of all time.

Yes, & in a weird way now he's simultaneously one of the most under-rated.

Some people (I think, perhaps, the OP is one of them) go "Tyson's prime lasted exactly the forty-five seconds it took him to knock out Michael Johnson & he should be let off any & every flaw he ever showed in any fight post this 'cos extenuating circumstances"—they have an excuse for why Tucker hurt him, why Bonecrusher nullified him, why Quick Tillis showed what a guy with a gameplan & fast hands could do & on & on & on.

But I think because of people like this, in the last ten years some people have over-reacted & are like "Well, he was basically shit".

A terrifyingly fast starter & savage puncher with blinding handspeed & a very solid chin, Tyson had a chance at getting to almost anyone you can name early on. But I'd back Holyfield to take him at every single sport you can name at every single point in their lives (whether boxing or table-tennis, I think 99/100 he takes it to Mike in a way that Mike wouldn't like, & Mike would always always break first whether they were 21 or 102) & Ali would get in his head beforehand then make him look like a mug (though I think he'd put Ali down at least once, but get so bamboozled he'd foul his way out or get so pasted late on the ref would stop it, especially in a 15 rounder). A 30 year old Larry Holmes would give him a far better run for his money than the old version did. Lewis would've always been a stylistic nightmare for him.

He's not the invincible ogre his fanboys cream over but he's not the one-trick pony he's been painted as since.

It would have been interesting to see him mentally focused in the 90's stay out of jail and fight guys like Tua,holyfield,bowe,morrison,briggs,foreman and lewis. He could have left an impressive legacy.

had he lived, the money that still came would have tested the relationships in the same way and mike was gullible and easy to con, i still think someone could turn him against cus. he says it would never have happened but talk is cheap. as far as, would he have been greater? hard to say, cus had a style and mentality, but i don't know if he could have encouraged tyson to do things that would make someone with his short arms and height to excel under any circumstance. the reach/height are real issues that would have caused problems without some more versatility in his skills.

Kevin was Mike's real trainer, Cus was just a paternal figure. It was always Kevin who worked with Mike on the mitts or coached him ringside (Cus never travelled to events and just sat home waiting for the phone call). To an interviewer who asked him what he'd learned from Cus, Mike said "he didn't train me technically, just talked to me for hours about life in general".

Sure, Cus played a very important part in Tyson's life; he taught him to clean rooney was a cus room and built his confidence. He even trained Rooney who went on to train Mike. One could even argue had Cus been alive longer, Tyson would never had parted ways who Rooney and would have had a much better career but let's stop with the narrative that Cus' death marked the start of Mike's decline because it's simply not true.
cus was a lot more than a paternal figure, he had rooney do a lot of the hands on stuff but rooney was a cus disciple.one thing that nott too many people mention is all three men had the same features , with the same funny eyebrows, strange.

Tyson didn't need Rooney. He needed a father figure or someone he respected to guide him and keep him in line and on path. Maybe, had Tyson grown up in a stable environment he would not need Cus or someone like him as much. By the time Tyson became champion, it was too late to get him to listen to anyone else. Almost all of Tyson's faults are the result of stuff out of the ring: bad prep, bad women, prison, bad coaching, bad financial decisions. Athletically he was a speciman and IQ wise he is pretty smart and knowledgeable about boxing.

Could have been the greatest ever, or could have still went into a downward spiral.

Tyson is a once in a lifetime talent. But nothing will change that he was a total headcase and wildly unstable on top of it.

Still would've lost to Holyfield and Lewis and still wouldve been scared of old man Foreman.
It should have happened, it still scares me to think about it!” and “Tyson [had] the best uppercut in boxing.” and “I would have been scared, Tyson was some champ.”

He literally owed his entire career to him and when he was gone he was a misguided, delinquent, shell of his former self.

He had a LOT of wins after Cus died. 'One of the most real stories of self destruction in boxing history'? Objectively, that statement is slightly over dramatic. If he had one of the greatest declines in boxing history after 13 fights, let's be honest here. We probably wouldn't be talking about him.

Back