How far down should you squat?

clarence-kennedy-260kg-pause-squ.jpg
Harry Potter is jacked. :eek:

There is no general limit/goal for how deep a squat can and should be, NONE! Some have legs and hips to go ass to grass with ease and some will never be able to do it. There's other things to look at..

you can target ass/quads without going deep/low.. :

If you want to target the ass -> make sure your knees doesn't push out over your feet(push your butt backwards and out)

If you want to target quads -> push those knees out over your feet(and tuck the butt).

Either can be done with 1-100% range of motion!

What in the actual sweet Jesus fuck.

How far down should you go when you squat?

I'm six feet tall, and when I squat, my butt is around 9 to 12 inches from the ground.

A old, experience bodybuilder came to me and told me that I should only go half way down.
He said that I'm going to mess up my knees and regret it when I get older.

I followed his advice and I feel like I'm hitting more of my quads
than my glutes. I rather have my quads grow than my glutes. However, I have a passion for martial arts, I train in it, and prefer performance over looks.

So how far should you go down when doing squats?

Parallel if you're squatting low bar.

Below parallel if you're squatting high bar.

Next time, tell the bodybuilder guy to mind his own business. If he's the kind of douche that walks around giving unsolicited advice and/or assistance to the chicks, then tell him to fuck off.

Bah, commercial gyms.

There is no general limit/goal for how deep a squat can and should be, NONE! Some have legs and hips to go ass to grass with ease and some will never be able to do it. There's other things to look at..

If you want to target the ass -> make sure your knees doesn't push out over your feet(push your butt backwards and out)

If you want to target quads -> push those knees out over your feet(and tuck the butt).

No.

I'm sorry did I shit on your bible? What verse? <45>

Ezekiel 23:20

There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses.

Clown with no arguments, as thought :)

Yeah, sure. I'll dissect your stupidass post.

Almost anybody can perform a full squat. If you can't, well, you just need to develop the mobility and flexibility in the legs and hips, barring the fact that you have a major disability in those areas.

Even then, Lamar Gant has scoliosis and he was able to squat over 600 lbs.

Save this ego lifting bullshit for the poseurs bodybuilding forums.

That's not how you do a proper squat. Knees extend over the toes.

No, you don't tuck your butt in either.

Oh really? So I can just get under the bar and twitch my knees (That's about 1% ROM, right?), and I'm well on my way to developing huge quads and ass, huh?

Almost anybody can perform a full squat.
If by "full squat" you mean squat as low as they can go with good form, then yes.

If by "full squat" you mean perform a proper bellow-parallel squat, then no.

How far down should you go when you squat?
For general strength development, you should go as far down as you can go while maintaining proper form and having no pain.

Skip the squat and add in another bench and curl day. You can do quarter hand-assisted leg presses to help build your tri's.

It actually feels more natural for me to squat a2g so that's what I do.

Some say 90 degree but my coaches always screams LOWER LOWER LOWER. They won't be happy until my ass is all the way to the ground.

As for the knees, just make sure you're on your heels. As long as your knee is not in front of ur toes, you ought to be fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back