How far do you think that prime Dan Severn could have gone in todays HW?

True. But to be honest, I think most light heavyweights could beat Dan Severn, Pete Williams or Ken Shamrock from back in the day...
Ken did not try no grapple with him in one of the most exciting striking fights ever

Well, let's say he was a young up n coming fighter today. Then he would train with a modern camp and his striking would be much better. How good would he be then? Maybe top 15... Impossible to really tell, but he'd be good for sure.

But if you take a prime Dan and put him in the UFC today, he'd have trouble cracking top 25.
A reasonble argument

He would lose to Stipe, JDS, Overeem, Werdum and Cain. But he has a great chance of taking everyone else down and working them over on the mat.

If a Dan Severn in his 20s with his wrestling credentials would begin to train MMA right now, he'd be championship level. You people forget that he was one the most decored wrestlers to enter MMA and without any knowledge of anything other than wrestling, start NHB at around 36-37 years of age. We never got to see him perform at his best in this sport.

If a Dan Severn in his 20s with his wrestling credentials would begin to train MMA right now, he'd be championship level. You people forget that he was one the most decored wrestlers to enter MMA and without any knowledge of anything other than wrestling, start NHB at around 36-37 years of age. We never got to see him perform at his best in this sport.
But that wasn't the question...

fucking nowhere, this man was a hug artist

Rosholt has beaten plenty of good fighters, and I'm not sure he's any better.

He's definitely not better than a hypothetical Dan Severn in "today's MMA" who trained MMA from his 20's on.
As far as striking skill, Severn makes Ben seem like Anderson Silva by comparison.

There are not that many wizards on the ground at HW.
Werdum, Barnett, and a few others. The HWs get used to overpowering guys in training, and they tend to forget technique, just power through it.

Dan was/is a real technician.
I know he fought loads of bums, but he did that as he was older.

A young, hungry Dan.
Knowing the basics in striking would have gone far, in my mind.

A true gentleman and with a great moustache

maxresdefault.jpg
Not well.

Gets trashed by the top 10, moves to Bellator, then gets trashed by their top 5.

If we were to take Prime Severn as he was back in the days and have him fight the modern heavyweight I doubt he'd make it to TOP 15, but definitely TOP 25 in modern MMA.
As a heavyweight yes, but not in an open weightclass...

Severn is awesome!! and he would be HW champ if he was in UFC right now. at age 55 he would still best most of them. 101 MMA wins, a true great and legend. ok yeah he probably wouldn't be champ, but he could beat guys like Walt Harris, I'm totally convinced about that.

I was actually at the event when Severn gave Forrest Griffin an ass whoopin, same guy that only a little later went on to be TUF winner and UFC Light Heavyweight champ.

Severn is a pure gentleman, and a true great. Very very nice man. Its a damn shame to see some people being rude and sarcastic about him on this thread, how sad.

Severn is awesome!! and he would be HW champ if he was in UFC right now. at age 55 he would still best most of them. 101 MMA wins, a true great and legend. ok yeah he probably wouldn't be champ, but he could beat guys like Walt Harris, I'm totally convinced about that.

I was actually at the event when Severn gave Forrest Griffin an ass whoopin, same guy that only a little later went on to be TUF winner and UFC Light Heavyweight champ.

Severn is a pure gentleman, and a true great. Very very nice man. Its a damn shame to see some people being rude and sarcastic about him on this thread, how sad.
He always seems really cool in all the interviews that I have seen.

His son was also some freak wrestler and I read years ago that he was wondering about going into MMA.
I wonder if he is still aiming for it

He would've been blasted apart in the HW division today and would have his hands full with some MWs.

Split decision loss to Luis Henrique

I did meet Dan around 2005, super nice guy. Was still very upset about the Pedro Rizzo stopage and claimed he could continue on the ground

Rosholt has beaten plenty of good fighters, and I'm not sure he's any better.

He's definitely not better than a hypothetical Dan Severn in "today's MMA" who trained MMA from his 20's on.

Rosholt's striking is pretty good though.
Not flashy, but very effective.

Back