How exactly does training in striking make you a better fighter? | Page 4

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by ADAMANT_, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Al Gorithm Black Belt

Al Gorithm
    What exactly are you on about? If you could clarify exactly what I said that youve taken exception with enough to open that man pleaser of yours that'd be great...mmmmmkay .

2. Pugilistic Black Belt

Pugilistic
    Perhaps the TS was asking about the exact mechanics and physiological adaptations that occur during bag work and how those carry over to actual fighting. I'll assume the TS is a complete noob and break down some assumptions.

1. It's actually not that easy to hit the heavy bag properly if you don't know what you're doing. You have to practice proper alignment with your knuckles and wrist when punching and this takes practice to get right even on a stationary target. Also, punching isn't just punching, you have to learn how to snap and dig into shots. Most people who haven't trained tend to push with their punches.

2. Even if the target is stationary, most people who haven't trained don't know how to figure out the range and space they need to punch. And things get trickier when they step in a bit more than they wanted and the bag is closer than they wanted. They are trying to learn how to do the things from number 1 at different ranges. Then add to that, you learn how to move around the bag which makes things harder. Then it gets even harder when you're putting together different punches into combinations.

3. The bag isn't actually stationary. It moves around when you hit it. You can practice defense and timing on the heavy bag. I practice timing when the bag swings towards me and I imagine a guy stepping in with his jab and I time a right hand over it. When the bag swings away, you can step in with it and throw combinations. When it swings back to you again, you can practice pivoting to create angles.

You can argue that you can do all of those things on the mitts or sparring partner, but people who are willing to take punches for you aren't always available. Also you can unload on a heavybag in a way you always can't on mitts or sparring partners.

Dreadlock666 and panamaican like this.
  3. dudeguyman Kosen Ju-Jitsu

dudeguyman
    Hitting the bag/mits makes the technique for the strike better, but you are right that alone wont be enough. you have to spar, practice throwing the strike against someone who is also trying to hit you and not be hit. that's how it really helps you.

4. panamaican Senior Moderator

panamaican
    Understanding the range and space you need to punch is worth it all by itself. It's what I was going to write but you've covered so much more and better.

5. Universal Kombat Blue Belt

Universal Kombat
    Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but did you not imply that TS was stupid for asking that question?

6. Dreadlock666 Founder of the militant wing of the Salvation Army

Dreadlock666
    I'll bite.

Organic matter is highly adaptable. We are constructs of organic matter.

If we have an intent that is greater than our ability and we act on that intent - pursuing something beyond what is presently within our capacity, then over time we adapt to the stresses placed upon us and become better at the thing we are doing.

Now, I feel your follow up argument might be "we aren't going to fight an inanimate object so why train with one".

The answer to that is because the amount of crossover benefit significantly outweighs the result of having not done it.

As an analogy, someone who's played a lot of racing video games will likely be better at shooting games than someone who's never played video games. The amount of crossover practise (using a controller, spatial awareness in digital environments etc) will give a tremendous edge.

To apply it to combat sports - a guy who spends a year training on a heavy bag would have an advantage over the same guy who spends a year not doing so, because there is a tremendous amount of crossover over (strength, cardio, neuromuscular/propreaceptive development).