How exactly does training in striking make you a better fighter? | Page 2

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by ADAMANT_, Nov 23, 2017.

1. BJ@LW&WW Gold Belt

BJ@LW&WW
  2. Agent Mulder's Hair Black Belt

Agent Mulder's Hair
  3. AndyMaBobs Purple Belt

AndyMaBobs
    Y'know your basement? Well right underneath that.
    Beause if you start sparring without hitting the bags and pads, you're going to get tired very fast - and that means you'll perform badly sparring. Also a good pad holder will try to hit you and force you to react. You'll understand if you do it a bit, so go to a boxing gym or an MMA gym, and give it a go and you'll feel the difference.

ADAMANT_ likes this.
  4. Mik3ThaMartian White Belt

Mik3ThaMartian
    How many lines did you snort before typing this?

Horse Style likes this.
  5. Mr Mojo Lane Purple Belt

Mr Mojo Lane
    TS, are you in your first week on martial arts? Do you have a traditional martial arts background?

6. spacetime Brown Belt

spacetime
    The simple answer is that it doesn't. The complex answer is that you do develop enhanced motor skills that will come in to use. You will strike harder the more you repeat. Theres a saying that great fighters are born, not created. But we train striking because it's FUN. If the training was aimed towards refining fighting abilities, we would have no hold barred fights in the gym. training striking is mostly to perfect certain aspects of striking, to get better at what you do.

ADAMANT_ likes this.
  7. ADAMANT_ White Belt

ADAMANT_
    Yeah, my absolute first time doing any of this stuff. I have no background in martial arts.

8. spacetime Brown Belt

spacetime
    A completely uncordinated nerd will not however transform to a Ninja in a gym. So that's why enhanced motor skills is a complex answer. It's mostly refining your "god" given potential

9. Mr Mojo Lane Purple Belt

Mr Mojo Lane
    Okay. You a good trainer will know the things to look for before you start sparring. Trust me, I was thrown to the wolves when I was a kid. First, it's painful, Second, I didn't really know what I was doing wrong technique-wise. Third, the stuff others have said

ADAMANT_ likes this.
  10. esum80 Tiger KNEE

esum80
    <LikeReally5>

Jimmy Jazz likes this.
  11. Frode Falch Gold Belt

Frode Falch
    <WellThere>

12. j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

j123
    Padwork and bagwork is only 1 piece of the puzzle.

And even then with padwork you need a good "holder" or you're just wasting time and building bad habits

13. a guy Black Belt

a guy
    Bruh...

You asked a stupid question.

exclamatio, j123, Sano and 4 others like this.
  14. Al Gorithm Black Belt

Al Gorithm
    Unique blend of sactimony and pussy hurt'itis aside .

New to what.........not living under a fucking rock? How do you make it to ( presumably) adulthood without being able to divine from merely observering , just a tiny bit , how humans tend to get exponentially better at things by devoting lots of time to doing them? You don't understand how practicing delivering a punch with accuracy and power is a useful facet in becoming better at punching people in the face with power and accuracy?

You deserve all the smart was remarks you've gotten.

exclamatio likes this.
  15. Fire of Youth Green Belt

Fire of Youth
    Don't forget that holding pads for someone else helps your cue recognition and thus ability to react to another's strike before it lands.

Sano likes this.
  16. 1 2 3 White Belt

1 2 3
    I'm going to reply to this as if it were serious.

I'm going to do that because I think there's this widespread folk belief among people who don't train at any combat sport (unlike every other person who reads this forum) that fighting is just sort of instinctive; if you're truly motivated, or just a really nasty character, great fighting ability will just sort of ... come out of you when the need arises.

I think a lot of people genuinely believe that fighting is different than other kinds of physical activities: they think that a person can sort of WILL themselves to be really good at it in a moment of extreme duress. I think a lot of young men also have a secret belief that they have awesome untapped fighting potential, should they choose to tap into it.

1. Sorry, that's not the case. It turns out the proper form for throwing a punch, along with most other aspects of fighting effectively, is pretty non-intuitive, and everyone who hasn't trained is pretty naturally bad at it.

2. Many of the things people think are unrealistic about combat sports (because of the fact that there are rulesets, and the like) are not, actually, and the eye-gouges and neck-elbows that you think will save you (because you're willing to be more nasty, and fight with no rules!) Will not. Basic good boxing technique and training will make you leagues ahead of most people in a street fight. Grappling, and especially mma training in addition to this, if worked to a level of substantial proficiency, will make you basically a god among men, compared to regular civilians. (Including those who are even willing to grab nuts).

3. Being conditioned and in-shape is a thing. If you haven't specifically run a long distance, or trained to do that, I don't care very much what else you've done, athletically. You're going to be bad at running long distances. If you haven't practiced playing basketball, playing basketball is going to make you incredibly tired, even if you're good at other things--maybe even running--even though that would probably be the best non-basketball thing you could do for conditioning.

Fighting conditioning is very specific, even compared to other sports. If you haven't trained fighting, and the other guy has, to paraphrase a classic movie, "your ass is a wad of dough."

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    TheGZA and ADAMANT_ like this.
  17. eternaldarkness Purple Belt

eternaldarkness
    hitting a bag is a about generating force. the more often and harder you hit the bag, the more efficient and damaging your striking becomes.

ADAMANT_ likes this.
  18. AndyMaBobs Purple Belt

AndyMaBobs
    Y'know your basement? Well right underneath that.
    No such thing as a stupid question bbz, better he ask it and be a bit smarter at the end of the day rather than sitting on it and being confused.

TheBookofSpeed and CFGroup like this.
  19. CFGroup Green Belt

CFGroup
    That,was about as bad as it gets.

U could google "how does heavy bag training help in live sparring?" and spend a month or so absorbing the limitless content on the subject.

But hey I'm an old fart and had to physically seek out quality training.

U have the patience of the gods Ando, patience of the gods, LOL!

AndyMaBobs likes this.
  20. Kframe Brown Belt

Kframe
    Dont forget technical drills with a partner, that is very important and i find many mma gyms lack in that area. Mma gyms here are all sparring and bag work with little partner drilling.