How effective is the jab or leg kicks/knees in real fight?

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by DD Kong, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Concrete Whale

Concrete Whale Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card Yellow Card Platinum Member Banned

I meant power jab (back foot) but a good step jab (front foot) from a heavy opponent is no joke either.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    Wadtucket likes this.
  2. MadSquabbles500

MadSquabbles500 Gold Belt

In a fight where clinching is allowed, if you throw jab, and opponent slips it, and throws his front hand over it, he can wrap it up, come around and throw crosses to back of your head.

Now that is just a scenario. You can snatch up straights and crosses too, but at least they have more reward if you do land, namely being more damage due to be harder punches.

Wadtucket likes this.
  3. wilddeuces

wilddeuces Brown Belt

He carries his lead hand down by his side and fires it up into their faces.

Wadtucket likes this.
  4. Bobbybackpack

Bobbybackpack Orange Belt

A speed jab is better even for self defense, unless if the other guy can't box.

Wadtucket likes this.
  5. spacetime

spacetime Black Belt

The George Foreman clip was a right hand, not jab

Wadtucket likes this.
  6. shincheckin

shincheckin Brown Belt

Leg kicking someone in a fight, doesnt have the same effect it does if your buddy said he go ahead and give me a good leg kick so I can see what it feels like. Than you kick him once, he falls down, cant get up and cant walk. You really wont see this in any type of fight. The concept behind kicking the leg is to wear the guy down and take advantage of it in the later rounds. You can stop guys with it as well, but its a build up effect..........generally speaking.

jabs kicks and knees are effective in a "street fight"

7. shincheckin

shincheckin Brown Belt

muay thai street fights

Wadtucket and ctrlaltdelete like this.
  8. shincheckin

shincheckin Brown Belt

9. tekkenfan

tekkenfan Purple Belt

i dontbelieve that u can just use a jab to ko the guy a very fast quick snap iv seen it happen many times you dont throw it as to set up a punch throw it to snap his head back that is if you are trying to punch

Wadtucket likes this.
  10. tekkenfan

tekkenfan Purple Belt

well since your a kick boxer isnt the answer for you simple on what to do if hes up close where you cant kick or jab?

grab a plum and go to town with knees and short elbows till he drops

didnt realize his post was 7 ears old lol

Wadtucket likes this.
  11. dudeguyman

dudeguyman Kosen Ju-Jitsu

Well most people aren't expecting takedowns in the street, so i'd do that and probably step on there head alot. Your jab or low kick would probably lead into a grapple anyway. Unless you have a really high level of striking. If there is a knife or gun involved you would want to get wrist control immediately anyways.

Wadtucket likes this.
  12. Deuterion

Deuterion White Belt

You make perfect sense but you are using strategy and tactics honed in sport fighting and applying them to the street. Low kicking someone who trains to see, check, and counter leg kicks is clearly going to have a different result than low kicking the average person fighting on the street. A trained person is not only going to be used to how the kicks feel when they land, they will also know how their body reacfs, and how to continue on despite the pain.

The average person doesn’t have that experience therefore they will not see the kick coming, will not know how to defend against it, will not be used to the pain inflicted in that region and it could stop the fight in its tracks. It can also be the set up for a nice finishing hook or cross. So to summarize, I wouldn’t rule out a low kick just because Amateurs and Professionals have a high tolerance for them as the same can be said for punches too. The goal is to have a bag full of tools that you can pull ou as necessary. Sometimes a low kick is perfect, sometimes a jab is, it’s all about keeping a clear head, staying focused, creating opportunities, and exploiting the holes they leave.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    Wadtucket and shincheckin like this.
  13. Canned Tuna

Canned Tuna Red Belt

The jab is very effective in fighting.

Osoto guruma and osoto gari have always been my go to in street fights. I've never really done judo, but I wrestled and I learned organically that it's really easy to get in behind a punch and do this to people with no grappling experience. Luckily I've never got into a scrap with someone who can wrestle because it's an easy technique to avoid just by having decent positioning.

Wadtucket likes this.
  14. shincheckin

shincheckin Brown Belt

im not saying dont leg kick someone in a "street" fight. what im saying is dont expect your leg kick to stop/drop someone in a fight in just 1 kick, regardless if its in the ring or not, when you are fighting, you got adrenaline etc. so you dont feel the pain as much. I have been leg kicked in fights and you dont feel it until after the fight, the leg kick is not a finishing move, its a building up move, it can finish a fight, but not with 1 leg kick, they need to add up, much the same concept as kicking a punchers arms to wear his arms down. Also I have used the leg kick in a "street" fight before, it didnt stop the guy with 1 kick. so if you want to use the leg kick in a street fight, thats fine, just dont count on 1 kick to the leg stopping the guy. lastly, i got into a street fight once when I was younger, all i did was leg kick, after 3 extremely huge wind up crazy leg kicks, the guy couldnt walk. someones who trains and conditioned would probably take more.

you can see here, muay thai in a street fight, kicks to the leg dont stop the fight.

Wadtucket likes this.
  15. spacetime

spacetime Black Belt

I agree. Too many variables involved. Which particular thai fighter is throwing the leg kick, who is receiving it, etc

Here's another example where the leg kicks did not bite

Wadtucket likes this.
  16. Deuterion

Deuterion White Belt

I agree with this post...you made solid points!

Wadtucket and shincheckin like this.
  17. Bumblebeef

Bumblebeef Brown Belt

u can leg kick to the knee. im sure it can be over.

Wadtucket likes this.
  18. Crimson Glory

Crimson Glory We are the Priests, of the Temples of Syrinx

Can be bad enough with gloves on.

Bareknuckle wouldn't be very fun.

Wadtucket likes this.
  19. Sinister

Sinister Doctor of Doom Staff Member Senior Moderator

Worked for this kid:

2nd fight.

MB5161 and Wadtucket like this.
  20. eternaldarkness

eternaldarkness Brown Belt

thats the reality of it. the jab is great if you can follow with a right hand as they come at you. a lot of untrained people will try to charge at you and tackle if it looks like you know how to punch, that's were the knee or uppercut come in.

Wadtucket likes this.