How effective is the jab or leg kicks/knees in real fight?

No but it does blow my mind how often guys get taken down in muay thai fights because their opponent catches a kick and sweeps him over easier than getting paris hilton in the sack.

My Muay Thai instructor spent a full 1.5 hours every two weeks with the MMA class training NOTHING but how to catch a kick and either punch, sweep, or teep the planted leg. Has yours not gone over that? It's something that according to him, a man that was born and raised in Thailand and won multiple gold medals in college tourneys, is trained constantly.

But that's not gonna slow down any pissed off tough guy from getting right in my face

Unless said pissed off tough guy is blitzed on alcohol or super high on PCP you land a hard enough kick to the leg with your shin they are probably gonna go down clutching their leg. First time sparring a guy threw a leg kick at me at half his normal strength (been training for 3 years sparring with me with 4 months experience) while wearing shin guards. I hit the ground faster than a hooker gets on their knees.

I'm not arguing that man, I'm sure I could get a kick off at an off-balanced open target. But that's not gonna slow down any pissed off tough guy from getting right in my face where kicks are useless, maybe jabs will though. But you're right I'm sure if I got good enough at front kicks you can execute them without gettin your foot grabbed. No but it does blow my mind how often guys get taken down in muay thai fights because their opponent catches a kick and sweeps him over easier than getting paris hilton in the sack.

Yeah, and 99.9% of the guys youre going to be fighting are Muay Thai Experts.

Yeah, and 99.9% of the guys youre going to be fighting are Muay Thai Experts.

Valid point except for I'm sure any kid with high school wrestling could get a TD or any tough guy could bumrush and you'd still go down to when your foots up in the air.

and Gregolian yes leg kicks most definitely do fuck shit up. But I haven't once seen a legit street fight decided by leg kicks so I'm gonna have to think it's not that practical for that setting.

Valid point except for I'm sure any kid with high school wrestling could get a TD or any tough guy could bumrush and you'd still go down to when your foots up in the air.

LOL dude, jesus christ, just stop.
What's the point of asking a question if youre going to argue when someone older and more experienced than you is going to be nice enough to give you an answer?

Line up a high school wrestler in his first season my height and size and i promise you he's no where near capable of catching my leg, let alone take me down in a streetfight.

And either way, that's why you should grapple, so if youre ever on your back, you can sweep/hip out.

and Gregolian yes leg kicks most definitely do fuck shit up. But I haven't once seen a legit street fight end in one so I'm gonna have to think it's not that practical for that setting.

Just because you havent seen doesnt mean it doesnt exist.
Stop being dense, man, we know what we're tlaking about.

Having never been in a street fight and my only experience with them is YouTube yes I know people bumrush you. But how many bumrush you with the intention of taking you down? All I ever see is them bumrush swinging with technique that makes Leonard Garcia look like fucking Muhammad Ali. Teep to the knee that will stop them.

and Gregolian yes leg kicks most definitely do fuck shit up. But I haven't once seen a legit street fight end in one so I'm gonna have to think it's not that practical for that setting.

The only reason you haven't seen a legit street fight end in one is most of the street fights you see online are between two meatheads with the outlook that "kicks are for pussies".

Anyways, if you want to know how to survive a street fight you should be watching this:

Yes, you have to yell "bang bang bang!". And like he says EVERYONE underestimates the kick to the groin.

And either way, that's why you should grapple, so if youre ever on your back, you can sweep/hip out.

Do Judo IMO so you can throw them on their head and then it be over.

Just IMO of course.

Judo is the most effective art for streetfighting.

LOL dude, jesus christ, just stop.
What's the point of asking a question if youre going to argue when someone older and more experienced than you is going to be nice enough to give you an answer?

Line up a high school wrestler in his first season my height and size and i promise you he's no where near capable of catching my leg, let alone take me down in a streetfight.

Okay you're right, I'm sorry if you got genuinely offended about our argument. I do appreciate your feedback and help and sorry if it got outta hand. I'm not trying to be small minded but I just can't see the effectiveness of kicks when someones right in your face with immediate power punches. Agree to disagree. But yes grappling training is definitely neccesary I train jiu jitsu/wrestling as well as standup. Just more skilled standing than off my back.

What is your take on jabs in a street fight?

Correct me if I am wrong but Sinister he can do it because of the way he holds his hands isn't it? His lead hand is always down like by his waist isn't it?

It's a combination of where his hand is, and how his legs are positioned.

It's a combination of where his hand is, and how his legs are positioned.

what about his shoulders?
Vitali's always held them a little low in comparison to Vlad.

Ive watched very little of Vitali, to be honest.

I'm with Da Speeit, kicks are great for self defense. Most people rushing with bombs are leaning and planting heavy on their front foot with sloppy punches. Cover up, blast a full power leg kick, and angle out with a jab. Repeat if he comes again. Against an untrained average joe, I'd say 1-3 leg kicks and he's had enough. No broken hands for you.

Also, for self defense, I think liver shots are great. Time a sloppy, wild haymaker, bob, hook to liver. You should also have a nice angle to throw a kick after if you want.

Body shots and leg shots will be good fight enders. People keep talking about how leg kicks work in MMA and kickboxing because they are long fights that take effect later in the fight. Well, these professional fighters are used to taking kicks. Your average joe isn't prepared for a shin to the leg or a punch to the liver or solar plexus.

MAJOR difference between even an amateur who spars frequently and someone who has never eaten a technical leg kick.

Yes I can agree with that, I mean they're not trained to take leg kicks so it would definitely do some quick damage. And yes body shots can't be stressed enough they make the toughest men cowards.

As an additional note, if you end up fighting a wrestler, chances are he'll want to dump you on the pavement or hard floor anyways. It would be easy for someone with a wrestling background to shoot a double and dump someone painfully, even without a kick being thrown.

As an additional note, if you end up fighting a wrestler, chances are he'll want to dump you on the pavement or hard floor anyways. It would be easy for someone with a wrestling background to shoot a double and dump someone painfully, even without a kick being thrown.

Yes I know that's why I train wrestling and avoid kicks against them, so I can do my best at keeping the fight in my comfort zone, standing.

A real fight is not one specific event, its not strictly defined in the dictionary. A real fight can occur in any environment, in any situation, against any type of opponent.

As a result, its hard to say this technique definitely works in a "real fight." Or that technique "definitely" works in a "real fight."

If you're sucker punched in a real fight, (very real possibility) a good shot can disorient you to the point that seconds seem like eternity, which just happens to be enough for your friends, his friends, outsiders to jump in and stop the fight. You could have 5 black belts, but in that situation rumor is going to be you got your ass beat and you did not have a chance to even through one technique. And thats just one example, of many, many which could present itself in real life.

If you think a real fight is standing in each others face, talking a lot of shit, shoving each other and then somebody throwing a wild hey maker your idea of what might work, and might not work is going to be different to the guy who dont play no games, who just starts swinging and worries about the shit talking later. Its going to be situational, if you're both coming from opposite directions and meet each other head on, yes a jab is going to work. A front kick is going to work, waiting for somebody to slip and upon their return to their feet kneeing them into unconsciousness works.

The jab, knee's have all proven to be effective in specific environments. But how often are real life scenarios within the same boundries of the sports of kick boxing, thai boxing, boxing etc? Its all situational.

I would wager being a badass is a great solution for many scenario's. Not reading blogs about jabs and knee's and thinking you've got your bases covered.

What is it about his legs?

He lowers his elevation very well, and is usually well-balanced while doing so and still taller than his opposition. So he doesn't have to punch downward and can in-fact, punch up with leverage on it.

Back