How effective is body triangle?

I tap guys my size regularly with body triangles, bigger than I, rarely, still have success with it, I'm quite sure I'm not tapping anyone in competition though, buts it's fun, there's some squeezing technique involved, it's not just legs squeezing, a high upper body sit belt right should be aching your opponents back, then you squeeze, but shouldn't be squeezing with your abductors, the squeeze I use resembles Ryan halls stomp and curl motion if that makes sense, he has to be on his side too to make the triangle tighter....

I rather have hooks though, I love to trap arms and from there go to the rnc.

I have a training partner that can leglock you if you body triangle him from guard. So I've gotten to where I'm very careful with it

In a setting where slams are legal, do you potentially abandon a standing back body triangle?

My team mate ended up pissing blood after a nasty body triangle.

My team mate ended up pissing blood after a nasty body triangle.
Serious? I didn't think you could piss blood unless they did some type of internal injury or you were sick. Did he go to the hospital or just try and tough it out?

Serious? I didn't think you could piss blood unless they did some type of internal injury or you were sick. Did he go to the hospital or just try and tough it out?

He went to er because he was concerned about internal injury. and because he had a black eye from rolling as well, the doctor suggested he call the police. Because the doctor thought he got jumped.

Then my friend realised it looked bad so he quickly replied: no it is OK. It was just Bjj sparring.

I told the culprit to stop doing body triangle.

He went to er because he was concerned about internal injury. and because he had a black eye from rolling as well, the doctor suggested he call the police. Because the doctor thought he got jumped.

Then my friend realised it looked bad so he quickly replied: no it is OK. It was just Bjj sparring.

I told the culprit to stop doing body triangle.
Wow. That's pretty scary, especially when you own your own school.

Wow. That's pretty scary, especially when you own your own school.

Well the guy that ended in the er is a good friend and he trained with me when we were white belts back in the days but I kept training and he stopped for a long time.

The culprit is a young stud that came from a gym where they taught to dominate. So I had to educate him that it is not OK to smash everyone because he thought it was how he he fell in love of how efficient Bjj is.

I told him to stop testing people but one day I will let loose on someone coming for a real challenge

He is one of those guys that i keep on a tight leash until the day it is needed.

Well the guy that ended in the er is a good friend and he trained with me when we were white belts back in the days but I kept training and he stopped for a long time.

The culprit is a young stud that came from a gym where they taught to dominate. So I had to educate him that it is not OK to smash everyone because he thought it was how he he fell in love of how efficient Bjj is.

I told him to stop testing people but one day I will let loose on someone coming for a real challenge

He is one of those guys that i keep on a tight leash until the day it is needed.
I used to be at one of those smash everyone schools. I'm glad I was able to find my new school. My technique was ok at the old school but I feel I am being more efficient now a days.

In a setting where slams are legal, do you potentially abandon a standing back body triangle?
I do.Yeah nothing is worth getting slammed like that.

BTW it's crazy how the body triangle has become almost standard issue if your legs are long enough. I rarely see anyone going both hooks anymore. If someone does play hooks I usually see the one hook in and one hook out with the ankles crossed and pinching the hips (Andre Galvao style) back control.

I do.Yeah nothing is worth getting slammed like that.
Well by "slam" I was more thinking they fall on their backs? I can see giving up a triangle when the guy is picking you up to slam you...but not sure if you need to abandon the body triangle from a fall as well. Maia seemed very comfortable versus Masvidal, but they were on the cage so Masvidal couldn't fall backwards.

Well by "slam" I was more thinking they fall on their backs? I can see giving up a triangle when the guy is picking you up to slam you...but not sure if you need to abandon the body triangle from a fall as well. Maia seemed very comfortable versus Masvidal, but they were on the cage so Masvidal couldn't fall backwards.
Yeah. That's what I'm thinking of. Watch Marcelo Garcia vs Rico Rodriguez. Rico fell back on Marcelo like what you're describing. It fucked marcelo up. He finished the match and had a successful career after that but he's said that he's felt small effects from that slam ever since.

Falling backwards from high up like that with someone's weight falling down on you is super dangerous.

Unless I was competing for a very prestigious title or a lot of mo day I would let go of a body triangle of the other guy stood up and I knew they were allowed to throw their legs out from under them and fall back.

And from a technical perspective I would argue the body triangle isn't worth the advantage it offers compared to the danger of them falling back. You can switch to hooks or one hook for leg rides, etc. lots of good options that also let you bail faster if you need to.

Less options and transitions with body triangle plus the risk of being leg locked and rolled into the lock.

I much prefer hooks, especially using one of them behind opponents knee so they can't hop over bottom leg and get flat on their back the most commo9n escape imo it's underused but deadly effective to stop they escape to use top hook behind knee after getting points

Last edited:
I tapped to a body triangle from my boy Ben. I'm a thick belly boy. He locked it on and I nearly shit myself. LOL. The girls next to me laughed. That's life. LOL. All y'all talking bout you beat the body triangle are tripping. Why aren't you in ADCC? Why aren't you better than Lo or Barral? LOL.

Yeah. That's what I'm thinking of. Watch Marcelo Garcia vs Rico Rodriguez. Rico fell back on Marcelo like what you're describing. It fucked marcelo up. He finished the match and had a successful career after that but he's said that he's felt small effects from that slam ever since.

Falling backwards from high up like that with someone's weight falling down on you is super dangerous.

Unless I was competing for a very prestigious title or a lot of mo day I would let go of a body triangle of the other guy stood up and I knew they were allowed to throw their legs out from under them and fall back.

And from a technical perspective I would argue the body triangle isn't worth the advantage it offers compared to the danger of them falling back. You can switch to hooks or one hook for leg rides, etc. lots of good options that also let you bail faster if you need to.
Thanks man that was the info I was looking for.

What about the body triangle where your hooking leg is tucked behind their knee trying to stretch them out? I wonder if that's enough to negate the threat of a complete back flop (meaning you can make them fall to their butt rather than them launching themselves completely on top of you).

What about the body triangle where your hooking leg is tucked behind their knee trying to stretch them out? I wonder if that's enough to negate the threat of a complete back flop (meaning you can make them fall to their butt rather than them launching themselves completely on top of you).

Best I could find lol

I got to the conclusion that at this at high level, body triangles are a must.

in MMA, kron refuses to use them in both of his last fights he lost back control by not using it. I believe the control it gives you on the person is extremely important. If I had longer legs I would use it more, I dont though, so I use it when my opponents size allows me to use it.

Back