How effective is body triangle?

Kind of funny how guys are all "haha these guys don't know how to deal with body triangles," but they seem to be the ideal control in sub only comps and ADCC.

cons:

You can have your foot broken if the guy is calm and knows whats what. We drill this alot so when people who watch alot of MMA do it in comps we can fuck them over.

Its easier for them to turn into you, although it is easily countered if you know whats what. what.

How do you break the foot? Also, how is it easier for guys to turn into you?

I'm no expert, but the body triangle offers better control and makes it harder for him to turn into you, whereas the hooks offer better mobility, which means you can switch to other subs than a rear choke. With the triangle, there's not really anything you can do except work for the choke. Also with the hooks you have a better chance to trap one of his arms. Lastly if you use the hooks you can use them to move your opponent around with your legs. For example if he starts getting too high on you, you can move him down with the hooks.

What are some good escapes from the triangle? I tend to get stuck in that position.

I don't want to be too much of a contraction but try the armbar from the body triangle when you're laying in the side of your under arm of the seatbelt. It's very easy to uock the triangle and climb the top leg up. Your lower leg will already be across their body. Galvao, Rafa, and Durinho are all great to watch for this. You just need to secure the Kimura grip before unlocking.

I also like the bow and arrow from the body triangle if I'm in the gi and I'm laying on the side of my under arm side of the seatbelt.

I don't want to be too much of a contraction but try the armbar from the body triangle when you're laying in the side of your under arm of the seatbelt. It's very easy to uock the triangle and climb the top leg up. Your lower leg will already be across their body. Galvao, Rafa, and Durinho are all great to watch for this. You just need to secure the Kimura grip before unlocking.

I also like the bow and arrow from the body triangle if I'm in the gi and I'm laying on the side of my under arm side of the seatbelt.

You do realize this is a necro thread, and you responded to a 5 year old post lol

I posted a video on page 2 about how to foot lock someone who body triangles you.

Seems like it would work if they don't get a proper triangle. Does it work if a guy has his legs triangled over the ankle and not the foot?

Seems like it would work if they don't get a proper triangle. Does it work if a guy has his legs triangled over the ankle and not the foot?

It does, but when they have the ankle sunk you have to turn your hips out into the knee thats across your body (this presses their foot higher into thier own triangle). Then you press down on that knee to force the angle up

Obviously it wont work every time (I got smashed by a triangle because the person was on top of me just this week) but its a nice enough thing to know about. Even if you don't get a tap, you can put some uncomfortable into an otherwise strong position.

Last edited:
You gotta be careful; there's a way to make someone 'toehold' themselves when they close a body triangle on you. Since I hit someone with that at my school, many less people are doing body triangles.

at the highest level of competition, if you try to make someone toe themselves from the body triangle they will just choke you. The choke will always win that exchange

How do you break the foot? Also, how is it easier for guys to turn into you?

I posted a video on page 2 about how to foot lock someone who body triangles you.

It does, but when they have the ankle sunk you have to turn your hips out into the knee thats across your body (this presses their foot higher into thier own triangle).

Obviously it wont work every time (I got smashed by a triangle because the person was on top of me just this week) but its a nice enough thing to know about. Even if you don't get a tap, you can put some uncomfortable into an otherwise strong position.

If you have a body triangle locked from back mount, you don't want the lock to be on the mat. If you can, place you foot on the mat to stop the guy from turning you over.

15:25
[YT]watch?v=sMGB_qEStXA[/YT]

at the highest level of competition, if you try to make someone toe themselves from the body triangle they will just choke you. The choke will always win that exchange

First, at the highest level of competition, I've NEVER seen a body triangle. *edit* I'm told there was a ton of them at this years adcc, I'll go check it out

Second, you can still defend the choke when you apply the technique we've been discussing.

Third, If this perfect storm happens, and you're rolling against highest level of competition, and they have a body triangle on you, and you don't have the equal skill to match them, they're going to choke you regardless of what you do if thats what they wanna do. You don't get a say in it, you're just gonna get rag-dolled when there's that much discrepancy. Chances are however, that if your rolling against the top level guy, and he's put you or me in a body triangle, he is waiting to see if you can do something about it; Having this move available is nice.

Last edited:
First, at the highest level of competition, I've NEVER seen a body triangle.

Second, you can still defend the choke when you apply the technique we've been discussing.

Third, If this perfect storm happens, and you're rolling against highest level of competition, and they have a body triangle on you, and you don't have the equal skill to match them, they're going to choke you regardless of what you do if thats what they wanna do. You don't get a say in it, you're just gonna get rag-dolled when there's that much discrepancy. Chances are however, that if your rolling against the top level guy, and he's put you or me in a body triangle, he is waiting to see if you can do something about it; Having this move available is nice.

What? Cobrinha used a body triangle in the adcc final, just as one example. Did u actually watch any matches from this years adcc? Body triangle was the preferred method of back control for most guys

Really? I might just go check it out then.

Honestly the only adcc match I saw this year was the glover one cause budo put it up for free; I really was under the impression that it was something you stopped seeing high up. My bad

Really? I might just go check it out then.

Honestly the only adcc match I saw this year was the glover one cause budo put it up for free; I really was under the impression that it was something you stopped seeing high up. My bad

You tend not to see it as much in ibjjf comps because you don't get points for it. In adcc body triangle is worth the same as hooks. You see body triangles a lot on mma too. Demian Maia uses the body triangle

With the triangle, there's not really anything you can do except work for the choke.

Yep, totally agree. That's also why I think it's more suitable to mma where you can create openings with strikes in order to slid your forearm under their chin.

While body hooks are more effective, I actually find myself using the body triangle more. I have long legs, and I am able to sink it chokes better when I use my body triangle.

davou, I take it you don't watch much BJJ competition? Because I'm not referring to the highest level of competition rolling against me, I'm talking about the highest level of competition rolling against the highest level of competition. Body triangles are frequent, but I've never seen anyone get subbed by the other guy toe holding them outside of local competition.

It's a move shown to white belts that doesn't translate to upper level competition.

cons:

You can have your foot broken if the guy is calm and knows whats what. We drill this alot so when people who watch alot of MMA do it in comps we can fuck them over.

Its easier for them to turn into you, although it is easily countered if you know whats what. what.
That's a different body lock your talking about. That's the one where you cross your feet in front of the opponents waist and yes you can get leg locked from there. The body triangle involves putting one leg behind the opponents leg and one above their waist. Like Anderson Silva vs dan henderson. No leg lock from there and Anderson gave a good ground and pound before submitting him with RNC.

That's a different body lock your talking about. That's the one where you cross your feet in front of the opponents waist and yes you can get leg locked from there. The body triangle involves putting one leg behind the opponents leg and one above their waist. Like Anderson Silva vs dan henderson. No leg lock from there and Anderson gave a good ground and pound before submitting him with RNC.

Haha you made an account to respond to a comment I made 7 year ago? You can still get your leg fucked with in the body triangle (whether you apply it from guard or from back mount).

Back