how does Semmy Schilt rank all time?

black belch

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
im no expert in k1 or kickboxing, but he seems uncharismatic, but his results are second to none

how does he rank all time?

I think Semmy kind of gets overlooked sometimes because of his height and his personality, but I agree with everyone here, he's one of the greatest HW's of all time.

He is the most accomplished and arguably the best. The argument against him being the best is that he had a physical advantage over pretty much all his opponents.

He is the most accomplished and arguably the best. The argument against him being the best is that he had a physical advantage over pretty much all his opponents.

what happened in the fight he lost to Badr Hari?

I watched it on youtube and they barely show what happened, seemed incredibly shady at the time

It doesnt matter what his advantages are he is the greatest HW of all time or at the very least top 3 with only Aerts and/or Hoost ahead of him

He is the best standup-figher that has ever lived.

He focused his skills where the money was, but if There was no upper weightlimit, And he focused his training om MMA, he would be nearly unbeatable There as well.

Last edited:
Semmy is my all time favorite. So for my money he ranks #1.

He focused his skills where the money was, but if There was no upper weightlimit, And he focused his training om MMA, he would be unbeatable.

he started out doing MMA and was 6 years into his career when he lost to Fedor and experienced when he lost to Barnett and he was probably in or close to his physical prime around that time and still lost.

He had his first MMA fight in 1996 and his first K-1 fight in 2002.

obviously he improved his striking in K-1 technically but physically he was in his prime he was 29 when he went into K-1 and when he lost to Fedor and he is/was older than Fedor it isn't like he fought prime Fedor either even if you excuse his early losses.
he also was more experienced than fedor who started his MMA career in 2000 allthough he had combat sambo experience

he was a good MMA fighter and if he was younger and went to an elite MMA gym he might very well be a top 10 HW nowadays but surey not the best ever his wrestling could be better with a modern elite gym but it's unlikely that he would win the UFC belt

he started out doing MMA and was 6 years into his career when he lost to Fedor and experienced when he lost to Barnett and he was probably in or close to his physical prime around that time and still lost.

He had his first MMA fight in 1996 and his first K-1 fight in 2002.

obviously he improved his striking in K-1 technically but physically he was in his prime he was 29 when he went into K-1 and when he lost to Fedor and he is/was older than Fedor it isn't like he fought prime Fedor either even if you excuse his early losses.
he also was more experienced than fedor who started his MMA career in 2000 allthough he had combat sambo experience

he was a good MMA fighter and if he was younger and went to an elite MMA gym he might very well be a top 10 HW nowadays but surey not the best ever his wrestling could be better with a modern elite gym but it's unlikely that he would win the UFC belt

Semmy had a very good MMA career, had great submissions, And of course great standup. He only lost to the greatest guys, some of them Are still active at the top.

Fedor is spesial, so who knows if Semmy would have beaten him at his best, but I wouldn't say Semmy was more experienced when they fought... Fedor was doing full time Sambo, while Semmy did karate And some grappling.

If the limit was 300 lbs, And he did extensivr training, I have no doubt he would win the UFC belt.

Semmy had a very good MMA career, had great submissions, And of course great standup. He only lost to the greatest guys, some of them Are still active at the top.

Fedor is spesial, so who knows if Semmy would have beaten him at his best, but I wouldn't say Semmy was more experienced when they fought... Fedor was doing full time Sambo, while Semmy did karate And some grappling.

If the limit was 300 lbs, And he did extensivr training, I have no doubt he would win the UFC belt.

Fedor was 24 or so while Schilt was 29 he was in his physical prime and had 4 years more MMA experience and fedor around that time was not in his prime his striking and transitions from striking to grappling got much better.
Fedor was a pro for barely 2 years opposed to Schilt's 6 years.

combat Sambo is similar but not the same there are tons of combat sambo guys nowadays who also do MMa and most have average records.

Barnett did MMA for 1 year less than Schilt with no sambo experience and was also 4 years younger than Schilt and still beat him.

Sure Schilt lost to talented guys and that's why he could be top 10 today with an elite camp if he was younger but at no point would he beat prime Fedor and unless he really fights the right guy at the right time and has a little bit of luck no way he wins the UFC belt today.

He was basically like Stefan Struve with much better striking skills he had pretty good BJJ but no wrestling and he wasn't a Werdum or Mir who would submit anyone he fights just because they are on the ground

When he made that run in K-1, it was pretty ridiculous. Top 3 HW all time K-1.

Semmy was not impressive on MMA like he made on Kickboxing,his striking abilities was much better under KB rules.

He also had a speed disadvantage against pretty much everyone he fought. Not disagreeing with your point entirely, but there are pros and cons to having such size. Difference being is he, unlike other taller fighters, made the best use of his natural size as possible.

He also had a speed disadvantage against pretty much everyone he fought. Not disagreeing with your point entirely, but there are pros and cons to having such size. Difference being is he, unlike other taller fighters, made the best use of his natural size as possible.

quoted for truth

He said himself that he was to tall for MMA. And that his hight hampered his groundgame

He is the best standup-figher that has ever lived.
Stop it.

Like I said in the Aerts thread, he's the most dominant Kickboxer of all time. I don't equate most dominant to greatest however. It's only a facet of greatness.

If you go by the numbers and use the k1 wgp and the 1 glory hw slam then its hard to argue him being the best. He might not have been the flashiest but he was certainly the most dominant. I love Aerts and Hoost and all the legenda but they had as many or more opportunities to win the wgp and didnt as many times as Semy did.

Back