How does Rory fair against Lima/Larkin?

Guile

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Simple question. I think the Lima/Larkin is a near 50/50 fight. Lima is very powerful and well rounded. Larkin is fast, precise and powerful but doesnt have an amazing ground game. How do you see Rory doing against both? Can he outstrike either or will he resort to his excellent grappling. I think Lima would be an easier fight for Rory. These two are for sure Rory's toughest matchups in Bellator ww division, along with Koreshkov. I think Rory 49-46 UDs Larkin and subs/tkos Lima within 4. Thoughts?

Larkin has elite takedown defense, is amazing at controlling distance and is very good at getting back up to his feet. If you remember Larkin at 185lbs in the UFC he arguably beat Derek Brunson and Francis Carmont and was formidable on the mat vs them from what I remember. Dudes ground game is just fine and has only gotten better.

I favor Rory to beat Koreshkov and Lima, but those are both great and competitive fights.

I think Larkin wins a decision vs Rory. I think Larkin has what it takes to beat anyone at 170lbs, he just needs to stay mentally strong.

I think if Larkin is on his A-game he's as good as any WW in the world and even the super talented Rory would have his hands full. I can see Larkin hurting Rory if it stays standing but can also see him getting wrestled and controlled on the ground. It would be a great fight.

Lima is a guy who has big power and if Rory fights him to his strengths it could end bad for Rory.

All fantastic match ups. 170 is no joke in Bellator.

I think if Larkin is on his A-game he's as good as any WW in the world and even the super talented Rory would have his hands full. I can see Larkin hurting Rory if it stays standing but can also see him getting wrestled and controlled on the ground. It would be a great fight.

Lima is a guy who has big power and if Rory fights him to his strengths it could end bad for Rory.

All fantastic match ups. 170 is no joke in Bellator.

Also gotta say, it's exciting to see how Chidi Njokuani will develop...people don't realize Chidi is a guy who took Simon Marcus to a draw in a kickboxing world championship bout, Marcus was the number 1 Muay Thai and Number 1 ranked Kickboxer in the world at 175lbs. Chidi had a Thai bout with Joe Schilling too where he fought 15lbs above his weight class and it was a very close decision. He's 17-4-1, 28 years old and a giant for the weight class with wins over Fialho and Alan Jouban by KO in MMA. He's a great prospect, excited to see where he goes.

Michael Venom Page is another guy, 30 years old 12-0, really talented and interesting striker with the frame, maintenance of range and movement to give grapplers fits. I'm not sure how good Page is, he's given spotty performances and hasn't beaten anyone of note yet but he's got scary power, speed and a lot of hype behind him. 1 marquee win and he could blow up big time. Great prospect too.

Andrey Koreshkov at only 26 with a record of 19-2, he has been overlooked with guys like Lorenz and Rory being signed, a guy like Page is so prolific his hype can shadow a guy like Koreshkov too but I don't think we've seen the last of this Russian, he's so young and talented with big wins over Benson Henderson and Douglas Lima. But I do fear we will lose Koreshkov to one of the big Russian promotions soon, unless Bellator makes a real effort to penetrate the Russian market (which I hope they do, guys like Abubakar Nurmagomedov, Alexey Kunchenko, Mukhamed Burkhamov are three of the best welterweights not in the UFC or Bellator that they should sign.)

I really hope Bellator does all the things the UFC hasn't been. Bellator should aggressively try to break into Russia, put on big cards there and sign their better fighters, it's an investment worth making. Also I think putting a higher value on prospects and being willing to pay them is another great investment for Bellator, they've been doing it with American fighters but I'd like to see them branch out to international fighters too like Bekzd Abdurakhmonov, Robin Van Roosmalen, Tenshin Nasukawa etc.

Anyways yeah, if Bellator signs a few more great Welterweights like Ben Askren, Kunchenko, Burkhamov, they could have a Welterweight division on par with the UFC nearly.

Larkin is the tougher match

Sorry guys I'm not so High on Rory

We saw in the matches Rory had against Thompson and Lawler that Rory has real trouble with good strikers that can grapple and don't gas out quick, Especially guys who wait for that big power punch and pick their shots

Guys who are elusive on the feet and have decent grappling instincts are Rory's biggest problem and Larkin, Koreshkov, Lima are all like that (elusive in that they can play the range and counter striking game if need be)

Let's be honest Koreshkov, Lima and Larkin would have all beaten Daley as well..

As for page maybe he gets taken down and wrecked or may we see a repeat of Thompson vs Rory ? After all, page is another Elusive striker is he not ?

Rory treats Lima like Askren did.

Larkin breaks Rorys nose again

Awesome matchups nontheless, hope Larkin can take home the belt

First step, done.. Daley is taken out

Now it gets interesting...

Both tough matchups, and I think Rory has his hands full with Lima. I have slept on the guy for a long time, and look how that turned out.. he put Koreshkov to sleep (the guy that put a clinic on Bendo)

It's gonna be interesting, but Rory seems to be on a mission. If Lima retains he's UFC caliber imo, this will be a big test for him and it will be on the feet.

Both Larkin and Lima have good low kicks, power, etc.. They could pose problems.. But I think this is a smart, motivated Rory and he gets it done

We shall see.

IMO healthy Rory is top 3, only losing against WB and Robbie (both close fights)
yeah, I think he would beat Maia and Woodley again

Larkin has elite takedown defense, is amazing at controlling distance and is very good at getting back up to his feet. If you remember Larkin at 185lbs in the UFC he arguably beat Derek Brunson and Francis Carmont and was formidable on the mat vs them from what I remember. Dudes ground game is just fine and has only gotten better.

I don't remember those fight being that close TBH, specially Brunson's

Let's be honest Koreshkov, Lima and Larkin would have all beaten Daley as well..

Lima already did, but not in nearly the dominant or impressive way that Rory destroyed Daley.

Rory beats lima easily but loses to larkin badly.

Back