How does Khabibs wrestling compare to Chad Mendes?

Conor got exposed by Mayweather.. He is not a hard puncher. He is a precise counter puncher. Conor can't punch Khabib out by brute force, and there's no way he keeps it standing all the way

It's hard to say because Khabib is more of a general grappler than a wrestler, but since your post indicated you meant something more like who's a better grappler in a fight, there's no comparison.

Not only is Khabib significantly bigger and stronger, he's also better at using his wrestling because his cardio and chin are better. He's better at establishing the positions that allow him to use ground and pound more effectively. His top control is better, so it's harder to get up when he takes you down. And technique-wise, he uses a wider variety of techniques, chains them together in a very effective way, and has better balance and leverage in general. So yes, he's a much more effective grappler in a fight in every relevant respect I can think of.

Chad has way more experienced under the rules of wrestling, but sometimes you get a situation where one guy would beat the other in a wrestling match, but in MMA. the guy who would lose the wrestling match ends up being far more effective in the grappling. I don't think that's the case in this example, but when you look generally at athletes at the highest level, in most sports it's not a huge leap from semi-pro or mini-tour or minor leagues to the highest level. It's just that small notch of difference that keeps some guys out, like just not being quite tall or fast or strong or coordinated or strategic as the guys who make the cut. So I don't think you could take a guy who's got the accolades of Mendes and say anyone is way, way above him.

Conor got exposed by Mayweather.. He is not a hard puncher. He is a precise counter puncher. Conor can't punch Khabib out by brute force, and there's no way he keeps it standing all the way
You have 0 idea about striking, go to a gym and see how different it is punching with a boxing glove and an mma glove. See how the mechanics change, this comment is kinda embarrassing.

Respectfully disagree. Mendes has an amazing blast double and is insanely quick but that's about it. His other TDs aren't nearly as good and he is not a proficient chain wrestler. And like you said, his top control pales in comparison to Khabib.

Even if Chad got Khabib down, Khabib has shown to have good sweeps/stand ups as well as dangerous subs off his back. I think Someone like Frankie would be a bit more of a threat to Khabib.

I think this whole chain wrestling, chain throwing shit is little insane. If anybody watches high level wrestling, you don't see at all, at all, someone chain wrestling like they say they do in MMA, because once you take your shot, they don't let you chain wrestle or anything, you either hit a single or whatever, and and you may wrestler on, but this whole thing about oh you are a high level wrestler so you chain wrestle is a bs, because when you watch high level wrestling internationally, when both are good wrestlers, its just not how it goes.

I'd bet my soul that Mendez, if they are the same size, would smash Khabib in a straight wrestling match.

You have 0 idea about striking, go to a gym and see how different it is punching with a boxing glove and an mma glove. See how the mechanics change, this comment is kinda embarrassing.

Your comment is embarrassing...Floyd destroys him with any type of glove.

Khabib does everything better then Mendes the only exception being the explosive double leg.

Khabib is also much bigger and I would imagine stronger.

I think this whole chain wrestling, chain throwing shit is little insane. If anybody watches high level wrestling, you don't see at all, at all, someone chain wrestling like they say they do in MMA, because once you take your shot, they don't let you chain wrestle or anything, you either hit a single or whatever, and and you may wrestler on, but this whole thing about oh you are a high level wrestler so you chain wrestle is a bs, because when you watch high level wrestling internationally, when both are good wrestlers, its just not how it goes.

I'd bet my soul that Mendez, if they are the same size, would smash Khabib in a straight wrestling match.

Even the size they actually are, in a wrestling match Chad destroys him

In an MMA fight Khabib could get Chad down and I think Khabib's wrestling is more effective for MMA

But in a wrestling match I'd be pretty confident in Chad mopping him

I have no problem blasting with 16Oz gloves in my boxing gym. I grew up with something like 4oz in traditional martial arts. And Conor had 8oz in the fight..

Conor got put on his back against Mendes because Mendes has a strong blasting double.

Mendes-takedown-McGregor-1.gif

ImpishFlatAuklet.gif

Khabib has more of a grinding clinch/cage based style of wrestling. Which happens to be the vast majority of takedowns Conor has stuffed. Conor has been taken down some 6/26 TDA in the UFC, and 4 of those were like the above from Chad. Conor is much better at stopping grinding styles of wrestling.

Mendes also had success while he sat in Conor's guard (though he still got elbowed very badly), while Conor had his success when Chad tried to advance his position or go for submissions, just like he's had in his other fights barring Diaz (though even that fight he still also swept him and also escaped a guillotine). Khabib prefers to be more active and try and advance his position/go for submissions. Conor would have much more trouble with a guy who's content to just sit there racking up points and positional dominance.

People are going to be very surprised at how this fight would go as it's not the style matchup they think it is. Khabib's style of grappling is not the kind to be very effective against Conor, barring it's draining ability on him. But Khabib needs to survive for that long for it to be a factor.

Even the size they actually are, in a wrestling match Chad destroys him

In an MMA fight Khabib could get Chad down and I think Khabib's wrestling is more effective for MMA

But in a wrestling match I'd be pretty confident in Chad mopping him

That's not what I've heard... What I hear Khabib is destroying everybody wrestling only in camps.

I was thinking about this Khabib - Conor match-up.. There are fights Conor should have stylistically lost, against wrestlers, where he has been on his back a lot and still turned things around.

The Chad Mendes fight springs to mind.

So.. How does Khabib's wrestling compare to Mendes's?
Khabib has a mixture of freestyle wrestling, plus combat sambo, as well as BJJ, Mendes is an NCAA All American wrestler and a more well rounded grappler, but Khabib, IMO has the better GnP of the two, plus Khabib's pressure and grip strength is outta this world.

I genuinely like Conor, but he can't let Khabib close that distance and take him down, it will probably be as bad as Shevchenko vs that Priscila chick once it hits the mat. Khabib is just on a different level than any other LW rn.

Money has a real chance, especially when he lands some bombs or even hard shots early on. Like they've never been hurt before, they panic. Khabib would never accept the fight.

Money has a real chance, especially when he lands some bombs or even hard shots early on. Like they've never been hurt before, they panic. Khabib would never accept the fight.

If Khabib has a granite chin, I give Conor zero chances. If it's a weak chin, 2-5% chance

Dude, you have a vast misunderstanding about chain wrestling. It is used at the NCAA and Olympic level. This is especially true in freestyle wrestling.

Even in Folkstyle and Sambo, the highest level guys are extremely good at chaining body locks, to trips, to TDs. Askren is a good example of this.

Chain wrestling is a key tool for any wrestler because it focuses on creating openings instead of trying to capitalize on spit second openings.

Back