How does Khabibs wrestling compare to Chad Mendes?

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was thinking about this Khabib - Conor match-up.. There are fights Conor should have stylistically lost, against wrestlers, where he has been on his back a lot and still turned things around.

The Chad Mendes fight springs to mind.

So.. How does Khabib's wrestling compare to Mendes's?

Well chad was probably 25 lbs lighter than Conor when they fought

Chad has a better double leg

Khabib has more diverse takedowns and way better ground game. If Conor gives up mount as easy as he did against Chad, he is in big trouble Mike

I think Mendes has the more explosive shoot but Khabib has much more strength in the clinch, relentless pressure and incredibly high level top control.

Khabib is better mainly got to do with how well Khabib can holding down a opponent and do damage. After Chad doesn't get the takedown on the first shot he seems to reset and try again where Khabib will chain wrestle that makes it really hard to get away from khabib.

He mas a much more varried TD game, dominant top game, and better guard passes than Chad. Plus Khabib is one of the most stubborn chain wrestlers in the game. Very different from Chad who banks on single shots. Plus, Khabib having freak strength doesn't hurt either.

Mendes' only real advantage over Khabib is his explosive blast doubles. He is crazy fast with those double legs but not spectacular with his top game.

I was thinking about this Khabib - Conor match-up.. There are fights Conor should have stylistically lost, against wrestlers, where he has been on his back a lot and still turned things around.

Mendes is a better wrestler. Khabib is more dangerous and better control on top.

I think Mendez would have a great shot at beating Khabib. I don't think Conor does

Chad would propably carry Khabib as a backpack for a few rounds and then give up his back .

Mendes actually has the best blast double in the UFC since GSP and actually shoots regardless of fence or no fence. Mendes leaves more openings to escape whilst Khabib offers options of escape so he could get to a better position.

Khabib has the better chain wrestling and more relentless pressure. He also some of the best GnP in the sport. Khabib is a different level grappler to Mendes.

Khabib poses more problems for Conor theoretically, but Mendes had success because of Conor's knee injury.

Conor either sleeps Khabib or is finished savagely on the ground. I also think Conor has some of the best anti wrestling strategies in the ufc with the framing and cross arm tactics fused with distance control. Anyone disputing this didnt see the Alvarez fight. Khabib also moves back in straight lies with his neck far behind his body exposing his body to Conor teeps and body blows. On the feet Conor is overwhelmingly the favorite, but then again on the ground its Khabib who is just as overwhelming.

a lot better than chad.

Spoiler alert:

Conor's getting rekd by Khabib

He had a fucked knee (apparently) in the Mendes fight in all fairness though

different types of wrestlers, khabib is bigger so his would be better.

mendes is one of the best wrestlers in MMA for his division though.

Mendes actually has the best blast double in the UFC since GSP and actually shoots regardless of fence or no fence. Mendes leaves more openings to escape whilst Khabib offers options of escape so he could get to a better position.

Khabib has the better chain wrestling and more relentless pressure. He also some of the best GnP in the sport. Khabib is a different level grappler to Mendes.

Khabib poses more problems for Conor theoretically, but Mendes had success because of Conor's knee injury.

Conor either sleeps Khabib or is finished savagely on the ground. I also think Conor has some of the best anti wrestling strategies in the ufc with the framing and cross arm tactics fused with distance control. Khabib also moves back in straight lies with his neck far behind his body exposing his body to Conor teeps and body blows. On the feet Conor is overwhelmingly the favorite, but then again on the ground its Khabib who is just as overwhelming.

And you gotta give the wrestler better chances if you play this one out 50 times.

Chad was smaller and came in on short notice.
Chad is also really good at getting guys down, but not nearly as good at holding them down like Khabib.

No disrespect to Chad, but I don't believe his wrestling is anywhere near Khabib...

Chad is a very accomplished NCAA wrestler... so I don't want to disrespect him... but Khabib is just a totally different animal when it comes to his sambo/freestyle wrestling combo... those Dagestani wrestlers are just unique and insanely effective.

Spoiler alert:

Conor's getting rekd by Khabib

He had a fucked knee (apparently) in the Mendes fight in all fairness though

This is one of the few excuses I actually buy in all honesty. Re-watching the fight he doesn't move like he usually does at all, I do think the knee injury was real, although probably exaggerated

Pretty sure Chad takes him down the way he did regardless though, I think the knee troubles did lead to Chad being as effective standing as he was though

And if Khabib gets on top of him, he's not diving on dumb guillotines, he's pounding the life out of Cono

Mendes is a better wrestler. Khabib is more dangerous and better control on top.

I think Mendez would have a great shot at beating Khabib. I don't think Conor does
Respectfully disagree. Mendes has an amazing blast double and is insanely quick but that's about it. His other TDs aren't nearly as good and he is not a proficient chain wrestler. And like you said, his top control pales in comparison to Khabib.

Even if Chad got Khabib down, Khabib has shown to have good sweeps/stand ups as well as dangerous subs off his back. I think Someone like Frankie would be a bit more of a threat to Khabib.

Back