How does BJJ rank compared to other sports on injury rate?

Straightcross

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I love BJJ but boy in a year of BJJ I picked up more injuries than in years of boxing. At least I'm not getting brain damage and stuff. Makes me wonder how the injury rate in MMA isnt higher when they have to train both grappling and striking. And it's not just me, nearly every week someone at my gym is sitting out due to an injury or training with one and we leave our ego's at the door and tap early.

And then there's also all the skin diseases you can pick up even with clean mats and defense soap

Judo is a lot worst.

But to fair no one is ever 100 percent. You have always something.

You either get use to it or quit.

I also think we should have an off season to let the body heal...maybe like 2 months off but no one does that.

BJJ

Where broken Judoka go to pasture!

What ever you train, you have to carefully craft a conditioning routine that strengthens your specific physiological weaknesses to limit injury and promote your longevity in your art.

Injuries come from training partners, the more inexperienced they are they more harm they can cause.

When I first started about 2 years ago, I remember for the first 4 months or so my fingers were incredibly sore and hurt and my ribs were ALWAYS bruised.

Now thats gone, and replaced with mostly nagging shoulder and lower back pain that comes and goes. Nothing big or major so far and I hope it stays that way.

Frankly of all the regulars at my gym, I recall only one being out with an extended knee injury, but then again I've only been doing this for less than 2 years.

Time will tell... but so far its not bad at all even at 36 years old.

I've been doing BJJ for the last 8 years and I've accumulated a nice list of injuries that have made me contemplate quitting, many times. I have a torn meniscus in both knees as well as a torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder and my left shoulder is currently fucked (haven't had an MRI yet). Also, I've injured my hip/lower back muscles. Sometimes I think that its just me and maybe I'm injury prone. The real fucked up thing is I like to think I'm pretty technical and not a spaz, but I'm injured every two months with a new injury or a reoccurring one. anyways, if it makes you happy, stay in there. I'm at the point where doing jiu jitsu is like riding a bike. as long as i can get on the mat and drill and do some flow rolling then I'm good. Btw, i am 30 years old and stared when i was 22. Hang in there.

The study below shows that competition injury rate is substantially lower for BJJ. I got much more injuries from Judo than from bjj. Funny, though that Judo is way easier for my body than bjj.

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/2325967114522184

10.1177_2325967114522184-table2.gif

The study also shows that straight armbar is the most common cause for the injuries. Keep your trapped arm relaxed and fight it with other arm!

That's a pretty cool study.

I get why MMA has such a high injury rate. That Judo injury rate is off the charts though compared to BJJ and Wrestling.

Back