How does a Prime Matt Hughes match up with Tyron Woodley?

Woodley is really overrated and a paper champion.

Let's be honest woodley is too thick. Isnt this guy pushing 190 on fight night?

Good luck getting Woodley down, and if you can, you're not pounding him out. I hope Matt can secure a heel hook.

Damian Maia would have wrapped up Hughes faster than BJ did.

Damian Maia?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*Clears throat*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Woodley would beat him handedly, it'd be a rare opponent he wouldn't be giving up reach or height too and Hughes would find himself KO'd early

All of the third generation wrestle boxers handle Hughes easily

I think Hughes has the better gas tank and would end up submitting him
Woodley's never been submitted and even prime Matt Hughes wouldn't be the first to pull it off. Matt got destroyed twice by fat lightweight BJ penn. Woodley would steam roll him standing or grappling. Prime Matt Hughes was a wrestler. His striking was garbage although it did improve. He had no punching power that I can remember. Prime BJ stands a better chance against Woodley.

Woodley's never been submitted and even prime Matt Hughes wouldn't be the first to pull it off. Matt got destroyed twice by fat lightweight BJ penn. Woodley would steam roll him standing or grappling. Prime Matt Hughes was a wrestler. His striking was garbage although it did improve. He had no punching power that I can remember. Prime BJ stands a better chance against Woodley.
Yet he was one of the only two people to ever best gsp .

Good luck getting Woodley down, and if you can, you're not pounding him out. I hope Matt can secure a heel hook.

Damian Maia would have wrapped up Hughes faster than BJ did.
Damian Maia?

*Clears throat*

Demian Maia absolutely submits prime Matt Hughes....with Royce cageside.

Hughes was one of the best WWs ever. He had great wrestling and BJJ. Also he demonstrated some improved kickboxing over his career. Thoughts?

<mma4> Good fight up until Matt gets KO'ed in the 3rd...

I think the Woody One would win. Not sure who is the stronger wrestler but Woodley's right is infinitely better than any of Hughes' weapons on the feet. If the wrestling is close to even I tend to favour the better standup fighter. Interesting matchup though.

I don't feel like talking bad about Matt right now. But today is a different game and as great as Hughes was I'm afraid Tyron stops the takedown and might connect with a bomb at one point or another.

Yet he was one of the only two people to ever best gsp .
True. But GSP proved he was the superior fighter by destroying him in both subsequent rematches. And that "green" GSP was putting it on Matt until he fucked up. Prime Matt vs prime GSP is a total wipeout. Prime Matt Hughes loses badly vs any current "well rounded" top 5 welterweight.

Sounds like a bad stylistic match up for Hughes. I can't think of a time Woodley has ever been taken down.

woodley can shut anybody down; he inherited the schaub shutdown.

I think Woodley would have a tremendous size advantage.

I'd still have to favour the most dominant ww champ of all time.

War Hughes.

As an aside, I hope he is recovering well.

Matt Hughes would get destroyed. No path to victory. Not a great striker. AVG BJJ. No chance he gets T-wood down.

Damian Maia?

*Clears throat*

Maia would get Hughes down and do what ever the fuck he wants to him.

I have it that Hughes was one of the strongest combatants, pound-for-pound, to grace the sport. I would put prime Hughes against any welterweight and think he could overwhelm woodley were he to complete a takedown.

Did you see how his fight with Pele Landi ended?
Now imagine that Pele Landi was also an outstanding wrestler with good MMA boxing.
Kind of like Woodley....

Back