How does a Prime Matt Hughes match up with Tyron Woodley?

VanMMA

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Hughes was one of the best WWs ever. He had great wrestling and BJJ. Also he demonstrated some improved kickboxing over his career. Thoughts?

Last edited:
That actually would be a fun match-up. Tyron has the punching power edge, but the grappling exchanges would be gnarly.

Woodley would destroy him.

Big Matt hughes fan but cmon he would get destroyed in that fight, he legit has no path to victory.

Hughes is in worse condition than he is now after T Wood lands a few bombs.

Hughes was one of the best WWs of his time. He had great wrestling and BJJ. Also he demonstrated some improved kickboxing over his career. Thoughts?

I have it that Hughes was one of the strongest combatants, pound-for-pound, to grace the sport. I would put prime Hughes against any welterweight and think he could overwhelm woodley were he to complete a takedown.

I think Hughes has the better gas tank and would end up submitting him

Mr Spill the Beans like to grab the fence.

FormalLankyApe.gif

Seems like some people are forgetting that Matt was a savage. T Wood would have to stop every tkd because Matt only needs one.

Seems like some people are forgetting that Matt was a savage. T Wood would have to stop every tkd because Matt only needs one.
Good luck getting Woodley down, and if you can, you're not pounding him out. I hope Matt can secure a heel hook.

Damian Maia would have wrapped up Hughes faster than BJ did.

Just because Hughes showcased his crushing ground game in most fights does not mean he will be able to put Tyron in peril.

And since Tyron is a wrestler as well, the x factor here is Tyron's punching power.

Woodley via KO. There might be a few fun grappling exchanges, but I think Woodley is too strong and too explosive for Country Breakfast.

Back