How do you think would Gus do against Stipe?

Henderson lost to Misaki @ 183...then 2 fights later wins the 205 belt

If gus hit the weights for 6 months and came into the fight at say 225-230lbs in shape, how do you like his chances?

I actually like his chances against Stipe more than I do against DC in a rematch. I think is only chance against DC is a stoppage, but I could actually see him winning a decision against Stipe if he prepared his body for the division.

Thoughts?
it is a big jump to fight against a golden glove HW guy that has also good wrestling.

I so think it is an interesting thought, but I would like to see him against some HW's first, to see how he fares before throwing him against the champ.

If gus hit the weights for 6 months and came into the fight at say 225-230lbs in shape, how do you like his chances?

I actually like his chances against Stipe more than I do against DC in a rematch. I think is only chance against DC is a stoppage, but I could actually see him winning a decision against Stipe if he prepared his body for the division.

Thoughts?

You are an idiot thinking a split decision loss means fighter has no chance to win rematch by decision. Based on their first fight you are basically saying that if you flip a coin and get heads that means the second time you will get heads again.

He would have already won the first fight had one of the judges scored round 3 for him (in which Gus almost finished him).

I think he would get stopped in round 1 or 2 by Stipe, KO/TKO

Just because he is LHW it doesn't mean he will have the cardio and speed advantage either though because Stipe is very fit for HW and he is fast for HW too. It would be a hard fight for Gus I think

Gus would definitely have a clear speed advantage, that is certain. He has the fastest hands at LHW by far. This 4 punch combo lasted a second:

ZLWpKyx.gif

Boxes circles around Stipe, stops all takedowns, wins a decision.
I'm 60/40 on the outcome of this fight with Stipe being the favorite.
Stipe has good wrestling, but is it better than Jones or DC who had trouble getting Gus down?

I think this fight would be a straight up boxing match. Stipe has the heavier hands and would control where the fight went, but I think gus wins the majority of the exchanges if Stipe abandons the ground game early on. In boxing match, Stipe loses his size advantage unless he can get inside on Gus like DC did.

I see 3 possible outcomes in this hypothetical match up.

#1 Stipe Ko's Gus
#2 Gus out points Stipe for a decision in a boxing match
#3 Stipe wins a decision in a close stand up fight where he is the aggressor and is able to land a few take down.

Gus is lacking in terms of one-punch-KO-power compared to other heavyweights.
He's also quite hittable.
I think many HW:s would be able to knock him out since they wouldn't respect his power.

But then again he's given DC and Jones the biggest wars of their lives, he's faster than most HW:s and he's shown he can finish people with combos.

If they fought ten times I think Gus would win a few, but Stipe would win the majority.

Last edited:
You are an idiot thinking a split decision loss means fighter has no chance to win rematch by decision. Based on their first fight you are basically saying that if you flip a coin and get heads that means the second time you will get heads again.

He would have already won the first fight had one of the judges scored round 3 for him (in which Gus almost finished him).
Of course I'm an idiot. This is sherdog........

I posted that I don't believe Gus wins the rematch without a stoppage. The only reason the first fight wasn't a blowout was because of a near stoppage. I don't think Gus can consistently take it to DC the way DC can to him. The chances of Gus beating DC in a decision just aren't good IMO. Like you said, I'm an idiot.

Thoughts?

I'd watch it and i wouldn't write him off but i think stipe would b too much for him.

How do you think Gus would do against Ngannou?
Sadly, like Rumble.
Gus' defense isn't solid enough to ensure he doesn't get clocked with a big shot.

But mainly - Gus doesn't have the same level of one-punch-haymaker-power to threaten Ngannou, so I think Ngannou would be able to lead the fight, absorb Gus' shots, and just wait to land that KO-punch.

Last edited:
Gus would definitely have a clear speed advantage, that is certain. He has the fastest hands at LHW by far. This 4 punch combo lasted a second:

ZLWpKyx.gif
But would he still be as quick at say 230lbs. DC looked just as quick at HW, but then again, he was fighting slower guys. Randy always looked just as quick at HW if not faster for the same reason. I've read that Gus starts his cut at just under 220lbs, so the question is, would 10-12lbs of beef slow him down? I don't think it would, as that's really not that much extra weight for a guy with his frame.

I know that I felt considerably slower at the beginning of wrestling season my JR and SR year in HS because I bulked up about 10bs for for football, but I'm only 5'9". I just don't see 10lbs of mostly lean muscle slowing a guy that size down much. I could be wrong....who knows.

I'm 60/40 on the outcome of this fight with Stipe being the favorite.
Stipe has good wrestling, but is it better than Jones or DC who had trouble getting Gus down?

I think this fight would be a straight up boxing match. Stipe has the heavier hands and would control where the fight went, but I think gus wins the majority of the exchanges if Stipe abandons the ground game early on. In boxing match, Stipe loses his size advantage unless he can get inside on Gus like DC did.

I see 3 possible outcomes in this hypothetical match up.

#1 Stipe Ko's Gus
#2 Gus out points Stipe for a decision in a boxing match
#3 Stipe wins a decision in a close stand up fight where he is the aggressor and is able to land a few take down.

I honestly believe Gus is wayyyyyyy too fast for Stipe, and the size difference wont be as big as people think. Plus they have basically have the same reach.

I honestly believe Gus is wayyyyyyy too fast for Stipe, and the size difference wont be as big as people think. Plus they have basically have the same reach.
A lot of that size is just upper body bulk too. They're legs look pretty similar in size. Gus has show to be pretty damn strong despite his lack of chest and arms. There have been quite a few fighters like that over the years like Chuck or Shogun.

Gus has fantastic TDD (inb4 Cormier slam) and very good striking (inb4 Rumble, ops too late) so he has a decent shot.

Back