How do you set up takes downs from boxing punches as a southpaw?

BringBackTRTforFairness

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Presuming they are in a 3/4 stance

Jab (right)

Straight (Rear) Left

Right (front right arm) hook, can be a long hook like Fedor throws

Left (Rear) hook, again can be like Fedor throws it ie long perhaps with an exaggerated slip etc

I find it really awkward to transition to a x2 leg, single leg, or upper body takedowns etc after the boxing punches, it doesn't seem to flow.

Hows this done?

Its like you throw a lead arm (right for sp) hook and all your weight is on the rear foot and you are turned to the side I find it slow and awkward to then go for a takedown.

For a right cross again weight is on front foot and its hard to push off the rear foot because of this to dive in for the takedown

Is there any tuition on this I rarely see it taught, or talked about

Jab, power double
Straight, step and grab the single
Straight, shift into orthodox double

Hooks can be slapping squared up hooks. In MMA my hooks are not thrown like boxing hooks with the weight on the rear foot. Remember the punches are a setup, so you're not throwing them full power anyway. How you gonna shoot a TD without the weight on your front leg?

Presuming they are in a 3/4 stance

Jab (right)

Straight (Rear) Left

Right (front right arm) hook, can be a long hook like Fedor throws

Left (Rear) hook, again can be like Fedor throws it ie long perhaps with an exaggerated slip etc

I find it really awkward to transition to a x2 leg, single leg, or upper body takedowns etc after the boxing punches, it doesn't seem to flow.

Hows this done?

I am glad you asked, because I've been spending a ton of time working on this and thinking about it in prep for fighting MMA. Here's what I've found to work best in terms of setting up takedowns with strikes in an opposite stance situation:

• A great deal depends what angle you're taking, and also your head positioning after your last pre-TD strike. If you're taking an outside angle (most common goal in opposite stance situations), you're probably pumping your jab as you step to the outside. As such, your head will be oriented towards the inside of uke's body. Because of that, your best option here will be a single. I do not recommend changing levels all the way to your knees, though it's certainly not wrong if you have a good single. Rather, I suggest shooting a high single and trying to transition quickly to a bodylock ala Ben Askren.
  • If you're taking more or an inside angle, or if you're not angling a whole lot but throwing a 1-2, your head will finish the combo on the outside line and the single will be less practical. From here, I like to shoot a high crotch but one that doesn't turn the corner a lot. Basically you're trying to run the pipe right off the shot. Again, I don't think you need to go to your knees, it's more of a blast style shot. Chris Weidman has had a ton of success with this shot if you want someone to watch.
  • Another good option that plays even more off the punch is the knee tap. Throw a few 1-2s to gauge uke's reactions, and if he's bringing his hands up and not moving his feet (pretty common), throw the jab and then instead of following with the cross follow with punching an underhook while blocking the knee with your lead hand. Really try to drive uke over your blocking hand with the underhook making sure to run through him. Dominick Cruz is the master of this TD.
For most of these, you're not really shooting off the punch so much as throwing the punch enough to get a reaction and then feinting the strike into the TD. A key to making this work is really dipping when you throw your jab, because then your jab and your shot entry look very similar and it makes it much harder for uke to read when you're punching and when you're shooting. GSP and Frankie Edgar both make very good use of this type of dipping jab to disguise their shots.

Make sure too that you're actually hitting uke with your jab (at least hitting his guard even if you're not landing clean), shooting from too far out is how Yoel Romero knees you to infinity and beyond. You want to be in punching range before initiating these shots, and you want to have threatened enough with your strikes that uke is bringing his guard high and ideally moving backwards.

One final thing: with a lot of these shots, it's important to not only try and finish the shot but also be ready to just run the guy into the cage and work from there. It's worth practicing, because even if a shot is defended fairly well if you can drive uke all the way too the cage you can often get the TD quickly off the initial cage impact.

Punches that you throw don't determine what kind of takedown you do. It isn't Mortal Kombat where you can can launch some fits-in-every-situation combination. You need your opponent to react in a way that makes the specific takedown appropriate

Against orthodox, their lead leg is pretty close already, you have a single off any combo, then do whatever, knee tap, whatever.

I'm orthodox, but I like 1,2,3 (body), takedown.

I am glad you asked, because I've been spending a ton of time working on this and thinking about it in prep for fighting MMA. Here's what I've found to work best in terms of setting up takedowns with strikes in an opposite stance situation:

• A great deal depends what angle you're taking, and also your head positioning after your last pre-TD strike. If you're taking an outside angle (most common goal in opposite stance situations), you're probably pumping your jab as you step to the outside. As such, your head will be oriented towards the inside of uke's body. Because of that, your best option here will be a single. I do not recommend changing levels all the way to your knees, though it's certainly not wrong if you have a good single. Rather, I suggest shooting a high single and trying to transition quickly to a bodylock ala Ben Askren.
  • If you're taking more or an inside angle, or if you're not angling a whole lot but throwing a 1-2, your head will finish the combo on the outside line and the single will be less practical. From here, I like to shoot a high crotch but one that doesn't turn the corner a lot. Basically you're trying to run the pipe right off the shot. Again, I don't think you need to go to your knees, it's more of a blast style shot. Chris Weidman has had a ton of success with this shot if you want someone to watch.
  • Another good option that plays even more off the punch is the knee tap. Throw a few 1-2s to gauge uke's reactions, and if he's bringing his hands up and not moving his feet (pretty common), throw the jab and then instead of following with the cross follow with punching an underhook while blocking the knee with your lead hand. Really try to drive uke over your blocking hand with the underhook making sure to run through him. Dominick Cruz is the master of this TD.
For most of these, you're not really shooting off the punch so much as throwing the punch enough to get a reaction and then feinting the strike into the TD. A key to making this work is really dipping when you throw your jab, because then your jab and your shot entry look very similar and it makes it much harder for uke to read when you're punching and when you're shooting. GSP and Frankie Edgar both make very good use of this type of dipping jab to disguise their shots.

Make sure too that you're actually hitting uke with your jab (at least hitting his guard even if you're not landing clean), shooting from too far out is how Yoel Romero knees you to infinity and beyond. You want to be in punching range before initiating these shots, and you want to have threatened enough with your strikes that uke is bringing his guard high and ideally moving backwards.

One final thing: with a lot of these shots, it's important to not only try and finish the shot but also be ready to just run the guy into the cage and work from there. It's worth practicing, because even if a shot is defended fairly well if you can drive uke all the way too the cage you can often get the TD quickly off the initial cage impact.

awesome thankyou bro! Thanks to everyone all great answers!

Last edited:
im a righty wrestler who boxes in orthodox. i like to throw a rear cross and then step through behind it, so my right leg is forward and i can shoot my double behind it right after they block the cross. i use the hip rotation of the cross to step my rear leg

i can also shoot an outside single off my left leg, so i like to throw double left hooks, going head-> body

then on the 3rd or 4th time i throw it, ill go left hook to the head-> left side single leg, since i it lets me turn my knee in and start reaching down with my left before they can read it as a shot. people also instinctively throw at my head as a counter to the body hook, so i am shooting right under it

Touch him up with the jab first and foremost.

Work your lead hook. Mix it in the body. Then change levels and use the lead hook to scoop the leg for a single.

There is no magic combo that is going to help you. Your problem lies with one single thing that bothers even wrestlers who have been doing it for 20 years. You cant shoot very well off of a left leg lead. That is the root of all of your problems.

When I wrestled, I had a left leg lead from about 9th grade on. Shooting off of punches for me is effortless, because I am a righty with a left leg wrestling lead which is abnormal. You can learn to feel comfortable off of you left leg lead, but it takes some time and patience. If you are serious, thats the way to go rather than trying to hunt down a magic combo that makes everything feel natural.

A lot of good answers.
I'm with uchi mata... the first takedown attempt depends on my orientation to the person. As I try to use the dead angle so I am going to get usually only a few key defenses.

Back