How do you read an opponent in a fight / sparring?

szJack

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
James aka 'a guy' being as aswesome as he always is, has pointed out to me that I need to focus more on reading my opponent. I'd love to hear a discussion about it here.
How do you read your opponents when you're fighting or sparring (one, 5 minute round, next round - someone else, so you do not have much time).
Do you throw for example jab or front hook and see how they react? So if they react two or more times the same way you try to exploit it until they adapt?
I'm not really sure how to even ask questions here, it's just quite a big topic.
How would you read your oponent / set him up when you know your southpaw right hook, liver / head kick, and right questionmark kick are your best weapons? How would you strategize and 'read' him?
I'd love to read some examples.

I hope I am expressing myself correctly :)
Cheers!

Hard question ... there are quite a few variables and factores inherant to it ... and its also a very interesting discussion cause every fighter has his own perspective and presents his own set of skills and techniques.
What makes this discussion even more interesting imo , is that i compare this subject to asking a cook what are his recipes ... if you get what i mean.
Its harder to adapt to a fighter or a sparing partner who you dont have much information on , so imo whats more important is ones experience , ones set of skills and ones capability to maintain calm, composed and focused in every situation.
Personaly what i worry the most is adjusting the correct distance and i try to "measure" my oponents speed and reaction time as soon as possible ... i try to use feints to provoke reactions and look for patterns i can exploit on.
When i sense my oponent is fast, technical and experienced , a few tricks i try to use is to change the rhythm, variate the distance between us , circle and work on angles in a way that it enables to create an opening ... i try to time my oponents "confort" level and footwork catching him "off balance".
Its very probable that ive made some grammar errors in my post , so i apologize for it , hopefully i made some sense and was able to contribuit to this discussion.
Anyways , congrats on having a great idea for a topic and ill be looking forward to the continuation of this discussion and for other guys perspectives on it.
Cheers

Perspective is a great word to put it. I'd love to have an ability to look through some fighters' eyes and know what they're thinking. But that's not gonna happen, so a discussion must suffice. What I'm most interested in is [maybe that's a way to put it] what are you looking for and what are you watching for comparing to your favourite weapon / combination.

That's a good question. Like the poster above said, I'm sure it's different for everyone to some extent. Part of it is testing your range, putting out things to gauge how they respond. Part of it is trying to pick up tells before they make a move. I have bad eyesight (subpar depth perception) so I tend to look for big things because I wouldn't really pick up the small ones. And because of that I tend to look for things that allow me to keep the distance, until I'm ready to come closer.

I'm sure what I cue in on would be different if I was stronger, weaker, faster, slower, did or didn't have the reach advantage or had better eyes.

I'm curious about what other posters say.

I do the usual and keep my eyes around their upper chest to try to get the whole picture as much as I can. As for their attacks, I base it around their step. You would normally stand a distance where the both of us have to "step in" to strike, we're both normally slightly out of our range typically. So, any movement / step in is what I use as a read.

At the general level, it's about empathy. Try to think about what his goals are, and then watch for him trying to accomplish them. A lot of people are REALLY obvious with what they're trying to do. For example, if someone has a good rear foot left high kick and fight from orthodox stance, they might "randomly" switch stances and do absolutely nothing with it (while looking for an opening for that kick). Or if they have a good rear foot right kick from orthodox, they'll throw 2 low kicks then the third will be high. The whole 2 fakes 3rd real is pretty common for any technique from any style.

I don't think that's exactly what the topic is, as you're probably asking about instinctual reading like seeing a hook coming, but empathy is part of the overall picture.

1. I think you gotta get a feel for his range first. See how far away he can comfortably hit from.

2. You gotta keep your eyes open. What does he look like when he's throwing a punch? I say let him throw a little, at first. Stay at the end of his range and block, parry, and catch some.

3. Does he like to pressure? Counter? Where does he like to operate? Does he like to snipe from a distance? Does he look to get inside--or to get the outside angle? What's his goal or preferred spacing, distance-wise in the fight?

4. Look at the way his body moves, everyone has a rhythm. Get a feel for his rhythm. Set it to music in your head, if you can.

5. Don't watch his hands. Watch his body. He can't hit you hard without putting his body into it, anyway. The relationship between his torso and his legs is the most important one. Also, secondarily, his legs' tension against the ground.

6. Once you get a feel for the space in which his body moves, you can kind of imagine the outer envelope of the arcs all his punches might take. You can project that field of trajectories in space in front of him and see how it ebbs and flows, and cycles with his steps and his movement. You can put yourself just outside of it. Or you can act like you're going to be in it, then pull your head out of it, just as he throws and smack him from outside of it.

7. It's kind of like what fluffball said about empathy. He's got two arms to try to hit you with, and he's got to get the side of his body near enough to you, and sort of facing you, to hit you with that arm. You have to kind of see how he's trying to accomplish that and anticipate it or mess it up somehow.

This is a big topic, so these are just a few disjointed thoughts that come to me as I sneak in some unproductive time in the office.

It's tough for beginners to make reads because they're too consumed with their own techniques.

There is a difference between reading specific opponents and having "fundamental instincts" i.e. my opponent has slipped outside my jab, so I can expect a rear handed strike to come my way. Reading opponents has to do with observing their reactions to your movements.

Once you're at a level where you can flow without having to "paint-by-numbers," you can start playing with feints and probing punches to see how the opponent reacts to specific techniques.

If you spot an opening, don't rush it. Tuck it away in your mind and come back to it later for best results. Let's say my opponent reaches to parry my jab often. I'm not going to rush the hook off the jab to exploit that opening. I might be in a bad position to land the hook when I first notice it, so I will be patient instead. Not wanting to spoil the element of surprise without a big payoff, I'll move inside, do some work there, then feint a jab on my way out. Anticipating his parry, I'll slam a big left hook in behind it, making the most of the read I made earlier.

You should "mine" the same vein for awhile to learn their options, too. If I probe a jab and my opponent parries it, I'll probe a few more times to see what he's got in his defensive arsenal. If I am probing jabs at a guy and he's parrying, pulling, slipping, ducking, fading, etc, then I'm going to look elsewhere for predictable behaviours, OR "deepen" my feinting game.

boss coming. I'll be back lol.

At the general level, it's about empathy. Try to think about what his goals are, and then watch for him trying to accomplish them. A lot of people are REALLY obvious with what they're trying to do. For example, if someone has a good rear foot left high kick and fight from orthodox stance, they might "randomly" switch stances and do absolutely nothing with it (while looking for an opening for that kick). Or if they have a good rear foot right kick from orthodox, they'll throw 2 low kicks then the third will be high. The whole 2 fakes 3rd real is pretty common for any technique from any style.

I don't think that's exactly what the topic is, as you're probably asking about instinctual reading like seeing a hook coming, but empathy is part of the overall picture.

Nope, that's exactly what I had in mind.

So many awesome posts here. I will study them carefully.

Yeh lots of great posts here.

I think it's more important to emphasise asserting your own game and your own rhythm on your opponent than it is to try to discover anything about your opponent's that you can tee off on.

Reason being simply that it's easier to make your opponent guess wrong than it is to correctly decipher your opponent's intentions.

So get into your own rhythm, blend fake and half movments with real movements and real strike to prevent your opponent from having the time to think clearly. That will pull his instinctive reactions out of him, which won't change during the course of a fight unless he is getting punished for them.

See how he responds to your movements, keep him uncomfortable and unable to think while staying safe by controlling the distance, and put together a plan to pick him apart or walk him onto stuff.

James aka 'a guy' being as aswesome as he always is, has pointed out to me that I need to focus more on reading my opponent. I'd love to hear a discussion about it here.
How do you read your opponents when you're fighting or sparring (one, 5 minute round, next round - someone else, so you do not have much time).
Do you throw for example jab or front hook and see how they react? So if they react two or more times the same way you try to exploit it until they adapt?
I'm not really sure how to even ask questions here, it's just quite a big topic.
How would you read your oponent / set him up when you know your southpaw right hook, liver / head kick, and right questionmark kick are your best weapons? How would you strategize and 'read' him?

Cheers!

Sometimes, (if you're comfortable doing this) simply moving into their space and doing nothing will illicit a response you can counter on. People expect "something" to happen when you move in, so when nothing happens they feel compelled.... To act.

Or you can try to lead them like Super Goon Wallace Talks about here:

1) Understand your positions; where the likely strikes are going to come from any one position. For example, weaving under a left jab to the outside of their left foot means that their right uppercut needs to come a long way at an awkward angle. Therefore you can free up some of your cognitive load by not focusing too much on that strike and more attention on the threat of another strike (e.g. spinning elbow).
2) Control them by showing a hole in your defence. For example if you hold your guard somewhat wide, you are covering against hooks easier at the expense of opening yourself up fro straights down the middle. Knowing this means that you are intentionally inviting the straights and you will have your defence (and counter) ready. This makes you look faster than you are because you have steered your opponent into the attack that you want.
3) See a lot of shit get thrown at you. There is nothing wrong with having whole defence rounds. If you can get out of that ego mentality of needing to "win" sparring then you can focus on different things for each round you spar to greater benefit. Letting them attack you with your only motivation to defend against those attacks, will sharpen up your defence considerably. Again you are not dividing your attention between defence and attack so you can devote more attention to the cues of their attack and the response of your defence. Essentially, you will get better at reading their attacks over time as you see a shit load of attacks coming your way. You will pick up on their attacking cues much earlier leading to a better reading of your opponent.

First I make a quick visual check: is he southpaw or orthodox? Wide stance karate stance? Boxing stance? In those cases I'll leg kick the shit out of him. Muay Thai stance ?

Just this helps me know the style I'm dealing with and I have some go to strategies depending on this.

Their body types. Long and lanky or short and bulky require completely different strategies.

Then the bell rings. OK, how comfortable does he look? I'll circle a bit, feint and teep to see his experience level, what kind of attacks does he throw, his reactions and if he catches my kicks, in which case I'll be careful to set them up very well.

And then it's on baby. I'm usually a slow starter, first time I spar someone I'll mostly study him through all the first round.

Thought I'd add to this as well.

A great way to read an opponent or to get the same effect is simply apply some pressure.

By pressure I mean setting the pace of a spar/fight & increasing the amount of pressure you'd apply - so that whoever your sparring/fighting feels as though your on him/her.

A lot of times you can lead your opponent and make him follow you - by just applying a little bit of pressure. It essentially stops your opponent from reading you and responding to you instead.

When you do this most people will become reactionary and respond to you - rather than attempt to read you. Especially if you're really trying to smother them. It becomes a lot easier to catch them & make them eat some leather lol.

In the process of being reactionary - they will stop reading you and (a) try to fight back with the same intensity and in the process open up (or try to back off & establish distance - well smarter fighters will do this). I think general craft really comes to play if you do use this approach because a lot of times you can pressure someone and cut off certain spaces - and effectively funnel them into bad positions without them really realizing it.

I think with this style of fighting though you need prerequisites to be able to effectively pull it off. You need the gas tank, physicality & the know how of that kind of game. I think this kind of game suits those of a shorter stature much more than those who are rangier.

This is what I try to do - I'm continually working on it though because my gas tank isn't particular that great but it's a working progress.

Using the first round of a fight/sparring session really helps as well - I'll often just do the same with more of defensive mindset (with a lot less pressure/pace) & use the opportunity to make mental notes.

Sometimes, (if you're comfortable doing this) simply moving into their space and doing nothing will illicit a response you can counter on. People expect "something" to happen when you move in, so when nothing happens they feel compelled.... To act.

Or you can try to lead them like Super Goon Wallace Talks about here:

Bill The Foot Wallace was one crazy fighter and tough as hell. I envy those individuals who get some instruction from him.

southpaw or orthodox
kicker or puncher
counterstriker or aggressive

:p thats what i look for first. people usually lean towards one or the other

after deciding what their style is, make them uncomfortable. in southpaw vs orthodox, orthodox usually like to circle to their left (they like to move on their left foot). start moving so they have to circle right, some ppl even start tripping on themselves. for a kicker swarm them at angles, for a puncher kick them at range. for a counterstriker overwhelm them or make them the aggressor. and for aggressive time them coming in or beat them at their own game. these are all generalizations ofc

if you cant read styles, just read strikes.

there are ppl that like to throw a lot of jabs and their game is to maintain range, and ppl that are just throwing whatever just to setup their cross. some people that feint or throw a soft roundhouse to setup punches, and people that throw punches to end with a hard roundhouse. find their favorite strike and time them, because fighters usually resort to a few strikes to open with or have "go-to combos."

its all about pattern recognition, fight the same sparring partners for weeks, you'll know their game and tendencies better than they do :D

Cheers!

Reading an opponent mostly comes down to pattern recognition. The human brain loves patterns just like it loves rhythms. It's amazing to think about how much we process automatically on a daily basis. Take body language. Through years of human interaction we learn how to read people before saying a word to them. You can probably sense a lot more about a person just by noticing the patterns in their body language than you can consciously explain. You just see the different cues, process them subconsciously, then come to a conclusion. That same kind of processing is at play when reading an opponent, with the difference being that the conclusions you come to are associated with trained responses.

The way to improve pattern recognition is experience. In the long term, that means processing fighting patterns thousands and thousands of times--when you've had 10,000 right hands thrown at you you'll start noticing all the cues that come before someone throws their right hand like tensing that shoulder, dropping the hand slightly, rotating the body a certain way, things like that--until you see it all together and come to immediate conclusions about what's happening. In the short term, this means watching how your opponent moves. However, you can't rely on anyone smart just showing you their hand. You need to FORCE them to react so that they'll start showing you their patterns. Note that they don't necessarily need to be reacting to your attacks. They can also be reacting to your defensive positioning, your movement or anything else, but the concept is easiest to explain using attacks.

In order to read an opponent quickly, you need to make him show you his patterns repeatedly. The easiest way is with feints and throwaway punches mixed in with a few real shots to keep him honest. Watch how he reacts to your attacks and your suggestions. This is where a snappy, uncommitted jab works wonders. You can throw it with plenty of volume to make him respond and start showing his hand, but without exposing yourself. Once you get a sense of how he moves and what he's trying to do, you start planning your attack and defense.

So from southpaw, let's say you have a great right hook. It's money. You can't just lead with it though, guys will see it coming, pick up the timing and punish you for it. Then you get a favorite tool taken away, start feeling uncomfortable and get out of your game. Instead, you start with your jab. When you throw it, maybe the guy parries it. You feint it and throw it a couple times, sometimes he pulls back or slips, but mostly he just pats it down. Great. Now you know that when his hand is coming away from his face, he's open for that hook. So you condition him to expect that jab. Try to get him reaching for it, even jab to the body and see if he'll reach that far. Then, when he feels comfortable in his defense, you feint the jab and come crashing around his hand with your hook.

Great work, but now he's on to you. When you try the hook again he pulls back and steps around to avoid it. Well that sucks...until you figure out that you can keep using that hook to make him step towards your left--directly into the path of your liver kick. Now you start working that 1-3 combo while stepping off to your right. Let him feel like he can move away from it into safety. When he gets complacent, you blast him with the liver kick and he walks right into it. It hurts him. He's sick of getting picked apart like this, so he steps in and wings and overhand at you. It misses because you kept your eyes open, but now he wants to come forward.

When you jab, he steps in and throws bombs. No problem. You feint a jab, then spear him with a lead leg teep as he steps forward. You work that right leg to his hip and torso, sometimes as a teep sometimes as a front snap kick. Soon he doesn't want to step forward anymore. You pick up the right knee, he hesitates, then you turn it over and question mark kick him. Now he's really getting frustrated. Your jab is always in his face, blinding him and disrupting his rhythm. Anything he tries to do about it gets him in trouble. You just keep setting up your moves. You know he's worried about the question mark kick, so you pick up that right foot only to spring forward onto it and blast him with the liver kick. He tries to circle away from the liver kick so you walk him into the right hook. You just keep building these attacks off each other as his reactions to one thing opens him up to another. When you lose track of him, you go back to your jab. You keep seeing these patterns and exploiting the openings when they're available, but spending most of the time watching for and working to create openings.

Reading an opponent mostly comes down to pattern recognition. The human brain loves patterns just like it loves rhythms. It's amazing to think about how much we process automatically on a daily basis. Take body language. Through years of human interaction we learn how to read people before saying a word to them. You can probably sense a lot more about a person just by noticing the patterns in their body language than you can consciously explain. You just see the different cues, process them subconsciously, then come to a conclusion. That same kind of processing is at play when reading an opponent, with the difference being that the conclusions you come to are associated with trained responses.

The way to improve pattern recognition is experience. In the long term, that means processing fighting patterns thousands and thousands of times--when you've had 10,000 right hands thrown at you you'll start noticing all the cues that come before someone throws their right hand like tensing that shoulder, dropping the hand slightly, rotating the body a certain way, things like that--until you see it all together and come to immediate conclusions about what's happening. In the short term, this means watching how your opponent moves. However, you can't rely on anyone smart just showing you their hand. You need to FORCE them to react so that they'll start showing you their patterns. Note that they don't necessarily need to be reacting to your attacks. They can also be reacting to your defensive positioning, your movement or anything else, but the concept is easiest to explain using attacks.

In order to read an opponent quickly, you need to make him show you his patterns repeatedly. The easiest way is with feints and throwaway punches mixed in with a few real shots to keep him honest. Watch how he reacts to your attacks and your suggestions. This is where a snappy, uncommitted jab works wonders. You can throw it with plenty of volume to make him respond and start showing his hand, but without exposing yourself. Once you get a sense of how he moves and what he's trying to do, you start planning your attack and defense.

So from southpaw, let's say you have a great right hook. It's money. You can't just lead with it though, guys will see it coming, pick up the timing and punish you for it. Then you get a favorite tool taken away, start feeling uncomfortable and get out of your game. Instead, you start with your jab. When you throw it, maybe the guy parries it. You feint it and throw it a couple times, sometimes he pulls back or slips, but mostly he just pats it down. Great. Now you know that when his hand is coming away from his face, he's open for that hook. So you condition him to expect that jab. Try to get him reaching for it, even jab to the body and see if he'll reach that far. Then, when he feels comfortable in his defense, you feint the jab and come crashing around his hand with your hook.

Great work, but now he's on to you. When you try the hook again he pulls back and steps around to avoid it. Well that sucks...until you figure out that you can keep using that hook to make him step towards your left--directly into the path of your liver kick. Now you start working that 1-3 combo while stepping off to your right. Let him feel like he can move away from it into safety. When he gets complacent, you blast him with the liver kick and he walks right into it. It hurts him. He's sick of getting picked apart like this, so he steps in and wings and overhand at you. It misses because you kept your eyes open, but now he wants to come forward.

When you jab, he steps in and throws bombs. No problem. You feint a jab, then spear him with a lead leg teep as he steps forward. You work that right leg to his hip and torso, sometimes as a teep sometimes as a front snap kick. Soon he doesn't want to step forward anymore. You pick up the right knee, he hesitates, then you turn it over and question mark kick him. Now he's really getting frustrated. Your jab is always in his face, blinding him and disrupting his rhythm. Anything he tries to do about it gets him in trouble. You just keep setting up your moves. You know he's worried about the question mark kick, so you pick up that right foot only to spring forward onto it and blast him with the liver kick. He tries to circle away from the liver kick so you walk him into the right hook. You just keep building these attacks off each other as his reactions to one thing opens him up to another. When you lose track of him, you go back to your jab. You keep seeing these patterns and exploiting the openings when they're available, but spending most of the time watching for and working to create openings.

God damn... that is pure gold.
Thanks!

Oh, by the way - I don't really want to start a new thread - how do you feint a jab into hook?
Do you pump in the air, retract and throw hook [much stronger] or throw like a jab but turn over at elbow and into a hook [much smoother, faster, but weaker]?

Back