How Do You Rate My Background For Entering MMA

DaleyChamp

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
So I'm 23 years old and want to take my first official amatuer mma fight this year. This is my background. Boxing since 2010 so about 7 years and have had almost 100 amatuer boxing matches.
Didn't start grappling until January of last year but it has taken over my life, train very regularly hav competed a few times and won most of my grappling matches. Will definitely be getting my blue belt in next 5 months.
Have some experience in kicking but definitely gona work more on that before fight. Also very well conditioned.
Based on this do you think I'm ready to compete in mma fights?

Take another year and dedicate a lot of it to takedown defense, getting back up to your feet, and submission defense. Your stand up should be much better than most of your local competition. But you need to start training the ground ASAP and since you are limited on time there are specific areas you should focus on at the moment.

So I'm 23 years old and want to take my first official amatuer mma fight this year. This is my background. Boxing since 2010 so about 7 years and have had almost 100 amatuer boxing matches.
Didn't start grappling until January of last year but it has taken over my life, train very regularly hav competed a few times and won most of my grappling matches. Will definitely be getting my blue belt in next 5 months.
Have some experience in kicking but definitely gona work more on that before fight. Also very well conditioned.
dont worry about kicking as much as defending kicks. if youre confident in your boxing there are some great counters to kicks with just your hands. develop a some good checks and the offense will come along as needed

With 100 ammy boxing matches, you should go the boxing route. The only background for MMA is MMA. Boxing and then grappling separately is pointless unless its still the early UFCs. Nowadays we have MMA training, and ammy MMA. Or even something like combat sambo, or Kudo be better.

100 amateur boxing matches?

You'll be fine. Just get a good manager/coach to pick fights for you that are in your favor. There's enough amateur fighters out there who are less qualified to be in the cage than you. it's all about matchmaking honestly. You can find some good fights to get you comfortable in the cage while simultaneously improving your ground game/preparing for an mma fight.

if you lose the mma fight- outside of any severe damage taken in the fight- who cares? it's just an amateur match . No big deal. But given your boxing credentials I think your more than ready for MMA given the right opponent.

for what it's worth I've had friends/training partners with similar experience to you. 100's of boxing matches as an amateur. Step into the MMA scene and just kill people-knocking people out left and right. He was a scary hitter - i pretty much refused to spar him cause he'd KO me every time with 16 oz gloves...but had very little ground game. He went pretty far in MMA and went on to fight on some bigger MMA scenes but encountered some trouble later in his career when guys just started shooting in on him.

If that gives you any confidence about stepping in.

But he was a phenomenal boxer- I don't think he lost too many boxing matches either. but obviously everyone is different. I say give it a shot

Find a good wrestler - train takedown defense - if taken down get up - once you get good at this then and only then start fighting.

Boxing pays better... why no boxing?

Just go for it dude it's just amateur bouts you've got nothing to lose, no reason to wait just go in there and kick some ass

Looks pretty good, the ammy's are way below your exp grade. Now if they match you with an open class type (borderline pro) then it might be tougher, but given the way things I've seen, you might end up against a 0-0 guy who's been training for 6-12 months and wants to get his feet wet. You'll be fine for the most part. Do alot more wrestling and keep it sprawl and brawl. Do no engage in the ground, even if you're seduced by gnp, walk away, make them stand him up, and continue banging him

Boxing pays better... why no boxing?
Had the same thought... 100 ammy boxing bouts and you wanna do MMA?
He wants to do real fighting, not pillow fist fake fightin' ;)

You should be fine. But if you want guaranteed success I would do more MMA, clinch, and cage wrestling

Yes, you are ready, blue belt or not.

Let us know when you get a fight scheduled. Would be cool to see it too. Good luck!

If i were you i would, make sure my cardio is up, work on kick defense (blocking/getting out of the way/stuffing the kick before it gets to much velocity), and takedown defense. That way you can more or less make it a boxing match since you have much more training in that.

In short, takedown defense, kick defense, box em up.

Check out robert whittaker, he basically forces his opponents into a kickboxing match because his takedown defense is to good.

Sounds like you just need some rounding out, Good luck.

If i were you i would, make sure my cardio is up, work on kick defense (blocking/getting out of the way/stuffing the kick before it gets to much velocity), and takedown defense. That way you can more or less make it a boxing match since you have much more training in that.

In short, takedown defense, kick defense, box em up.

Check out robert whittaker, he basically forces his opponents into a kickboxing match because his takedown defense is to good.

Sounds like you just need some rounding out, Good luck.
Thank you thats good advice. Definitely need leg kick defence ha

Back