How do you keep your hips under you in wrestling?

Tony40

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
What does it mean to keep your hips under you in wrestling? Does it mean your hips are lined up with your shoulders?
Also, I know you set up a shot to maneuver your opponent into a position that is easy to attack, but is it also because your are in a vulnerable position when you shoot? Aren't your arms extended?

Ok, first things first. Are you actually looking at the resources provided? They should provide many of the answers to your questions...

And yes, in “general” you hips should be underneath your shoulders in a straight line. You “generally” want either “shoulder, toe, knee alignment” or “knee, hips, shoulder” in a straight line depending on context. Head is up.

Or more simply.

“In the neutral position, you never want your ass at equal height or higher than your head”
;)

If your back is strong and is straight with your head looking up (to make your neck straight too), you shouldn't really be in a vulnerable position. Or at least, you should still be able to use your arms/head to defend whatever may be coming.

Watch wrestlers like:
Abdulrashid Sadulaev
Kyle Snyder
Jordan Burroughs
Soslan Ramonov
Hassan Yadani...

Anybody from any country basically, they will show you good posture and how to use set-ups without risking bad positions.

Ok, first things first. Are you actually looking at the resources provided? They should provide many of the answers to your questions...

And yes, in “general” you hips should be underneath your shoulders in a straight line. You “generally” want either “shoulder, toe, knee alignment” or “knee, hips, shoulder” in a straight line depending on context. Head is up.

Or more simply.

“In the neutral position, you never want your ass at equal height or higher than your head”
;)

Yes, I am! Thank you so much for helping us. Sometimes I just need someone "spell out," am answer to a specific question in a deferent way. I really appreciate the help you all have given us.

Yes, I am! Thank you so much for helping us. Sometimes I just need someone "spell out," am answer to a specific question in a deferent way. I really appreciate the help you all have given us.
No problem

Back