How do you gas out in the first round?!

It has nothing to do with running. Can we drop the running broscience bullshit?

One guy mentions that Conor doesn't do running for his conditioning, and all of a sudden sherdog is replete with exercise scientists telling us that the only way to build cardio is through running.

It's completely untrue.
It's absolutely true, there's a reason why the most conditioned athletes in the world run, you can't build stamina training in a cage or ring

Boxers have trained one way for over 100 years, because it works

I really don't get it with some fighters either .. but youd think these guys would be training for 5 rounds anyways .. at the "UFC" level youd think everyone could easily do 5 .. and that just may be true except when you throw in a bunch of variables ..

like getting punched in the face, or kicked in the shin, or stomach .. what about a guy who has better cardio pushing you harder than any of your training partners could have ? list goes on and on ..

I think we should start asking for more fighter stats !! Max bench, 5k times, Accuracy test, duck walks, etc .. we need more data to figure this out

It looked like Saki had Octagon jitters. Happens to a lot of fighters in their debuts. They walk into the Octagon with an already elevated heart rate.

Last edited:
The bigs are just never going to have cardio.

For the rest it's pace. I see wrestlers transitioning to MMA gas in 3 or 4 minutes all the time. A lot of it is specifically how they exert themselves. If you use your anaerobic strength to go "beast mode" and muscle your way through things it will gas you really fast. You need to learn how to fight at an aerobic pace to go the full 5 rounds with good gas. This is why BJJ players have better gas than wrestlers usually because in BJJ you have to prepare for 20 minute matches multiple matches in 1 day, you don't have to do that in wrestling it's all short sprints.

It's absolutely true, there's a reason why the most conditioned athletes in the world run, you can't build stamina training in a cage or ring

Boxers have trained one way for over 100 years, because it works

You can swim for major cardio increase, you can use climb machines, you can run stairs (not so hard on joints), bike, wrestling, etc .. those all work great ..

I personally wouldn't skip running, but that's me.. I could run miles upon miles for days .. but put me in a pool and I'm gonna die !!

each have a benefit and they all work the shit out of your lungs ..

Best answer is a combination of all these with 35 minutes straight balls to the wall !! You'll learn to recover and get second winds easily .. In between rounds will be like treats !! condition your lungs along with all the muscle groups for 5 rounds ..

I understand that some fighters have better cardio than others.
I understand that it's very difficult to go for 5 rounds in a cage fight.

But how can you gas, as a professional fighter, in the first rounds, after 3 or 4 minutes of fighting?

You have camps.
You do trainings.
You have coaches.
You have experience in the fighting field.

And stil, you gas.

PS: I am not talking about guys like Kimbo or Dada.
Going 5 rounds in a cage fight is not anymore difficult than playing 90 minutes of soccer or 80 minutes of Rugby. MMA fans need to get that out of their heads.

The fighters of today can't do it because they are not life long MMA athletes. They failed in popular sports, Started wrestling, and then ended up in MMA. That is the basic path of a current UFC fighter.

Future MMA athletes will be able to go 5 rounds at a high level. Of course, they will be tired, but they will still be able to maintain some level of proficiency and athleticism when tired.

Why will future MMA fighters be able to go 5 rounds? Because they will start at a younger age. If you learn to fight hard for 1 round when you are 15 years old. Then you learn to fight hard for 2 rounds when you are 16. Then you learn to fight hard for 3 rounds when you are 17. Then you learn to fight hard for 4 rounds when you are 18, and finally learn to fight hard for 5 rounds when you are 19.

By the time you are 25 years old, your body has built a cache of 5 rounds of conditioning, and you will be able to push it to 7 rounds if had to.

The current crop of MMA fighters don't have this cache of rounds built in them. That is why most can't fight for more than 2 rounds without endurance PEDs.

I play chess for hours and never gassed. Some of these fighters are gassed after 2 minutes, its quite embarrassing really.

And before you say chess is different than UFC fighting. Well I have played EA Sports UFC 2 on PS4 many times and never gassed, and I fought all the best fighters on it and I was totally fine, even drank pepsi and has cheese and chive flavor chips while doing it and still not tired.

Too soft some of these so called athletes, I just pity some of it
Facepalm.gif

Not meant to do this
Misjudge your peak
Bad day
Get hit in the wrong spot too many times.

This is inconceivable? Happens all the time in many professional sports.

getting kicked and punched to the body will take anyones stamina away pretty quickly.

I agree, but there is a big difference between fighters that can fight for 5 rounds without gasing that much (sometimes brawlers, who take a lot of punches) and fighters that gas in the first round. All of them professionals.

Going 5 rounds in a cage fight is not anymore difficult than playing 90 minutes of soccer or 80 minutes of Rugby. MMA fans need to get that out of their heads.

I would say that it's more difficult to perform in MMA. Rugby or soccer are team sports. In soccer, by example, the match is stopped a lot by the referee and the fighters can take short break.

I understand that some fighters have better cardio than others.
I understand that it's very difficult to go for 5 rounds in a cage fight.

But how can you gas, as a professional fighter, in the first rounds, after 3 or 4 minutes of fighting?

You have camps.
You do trainings.
You have coaches.
You have experience in the fighting field.

And stil, you gas.

PS: I am not talking about guys like Kimbo or Dada.
Because if a marathon runner sprints hard they won't finish the marathon. Mma takes composure and proper exertion to maintain

He tried too much to get the KO in the first round.
Hope he doesn't try that again next fight, or he's gonna lose a fight or two and learn the hard way. Let the knockout come to you, don't run after it.

Usually a combination of not pacing yourself and condition entering the fight.

Dan Henderson regularly went 5 rounds but still gassed out in the first against Shields because he was going for the finish so aggressively.

Because gassing is more output related than time related.

In Saki's case; by coming back after a long time without fighting, by being used to fight 3min rounds, by throwing bombs, by being more anxious than usual, by having to worry and deal with wrestling and bjj, by being old ....

I agree, but there is a big difference between fighters that can fight for 5 rounds without gasing that much (sometimes brawlers, who take a lot of punches) and fighters that gas in the first round. All of them professionals.

I would say that it's more difficult to perform in MMA. Rugby or soccer are team sports. In soccer, by example, the match is stopped a lot by the referee and the fighters can take short break.
First, It is not. Your bias for MMA makes you think that. Second, MMA fans get defensive and start to approach the argument from a "soccer vs mma" stance.

The argument is not "soccer >>> mma." The argument is a relative one. Meaning, if a professional soccer player can play for 85 minutes, and still have the energy to explode one last time in the last 5 minutes, to score the game winning goal, likewise, a professional mma fighter should be able to find that last burst of energy and finish his opponent in the final minutes of the fight.

Don't think about it from a "soccer vs mma" perspective. Think about it this way, if you hire a plumber, you should expect him to live up to a high standard for his profession, and if you hire a surgeon, you should expect him to live up to high standard for his profession.

You can't say "well, it is ok for the surgeon to not be competent at his job because surgery is much harder than plumbing." That is some bullshit way of thinking.

If surgery is too hard for a person to perform at a high standard, then maybe he/she shouldn't be a surgeon, because there are high quality surgeons. It can be done.

We have seen mma fighters that can perform at a high level through 5 rounds (even at altitude), so the excuse of "mma is much harder" is utter bullshit.

People who keep saying running is the issue have obviously never fought in a higher level sanctioned fight before. You can be a marathon runner and gas in the first round if nerves get to you. He prob had a shit load of adrenaline pumping being his second mma fight ever was a pro debut in the UFC coupled with the pressure of just being expected to always knock people out. He def wasn't trying to score points with any of the strikes he threw... one of the reasons why he is my favorite modern era kickboxer above 70 kg.

First, It is not. Your bias for MMA makes you think that. Second, MMA fans get defensive and start to approach the argument from a "soccer vs mma" stance.

The argument is not "soccer >>> mma." The argument is a relative one. Meaning, if a professional soccer player can play for 85 minutes, and still have the energy to explode one last time in the last 5 minutes, to score the game winning goal, likewise, a professional mma fighter should be able to find that last burst of energy and finish his opponent in the final minutes of the fight.

Don't think about it from a "soccer vs mma" perspective. Think about it this way, if you hire a plumber, you should expect him to live up to a high standard for his profession, and if you hire a surgeon, you should expect him to live up to high standard for his profession.

You can't say "well, it is ok for the surgeon to not be competent at his job because surgery is much harder than plumbing." That is some bullshit way of thinking.

If surgery is too hard for a person to perform at a high standard, then maybe he/she shouldn't be a surgeon, because there are high quality surgeons. It can be done.

We have seen mma fighters that can perform at a high level through 5 rounds (even at altitude), so the excuse of "mma is much harder" is utter bullshit.

The argument for my "mma is much harder" excuse is strictly based on two things:
- team sport vs one man sport;
- the number of breaks;

I've played some and I have watched a lot of soccer in the past. Also, I have watched rugby.
The thing with soccer is that there are a lot of moments when the players do nothing.
- faults or injuries;
- offsides;
- arguing with the referee (happens all the time);
- corners;
As a defender, you benefit breaks when watch how your team is doing on an attack.
As a striker, same when the other team is attacking.
Sure, you must pay attention to your position and to your opponents, but it is kind of break, whatsoever.
In mma, you don't have this. Except fights like Woodley vs Maia, there can be 5 minutes of no breaks, of punches and kicks and takedowns.

I agree with the "surgeon/plumber" argument.

Your main argument is that "The fighters of today can't do it because they are not life long MMA athletes. They failed in popular sports, Started wrestling, and then ended up in MMA. That is the basic path of a current UFC fighter."

I am not sure I understand it fully. DC, for example, didn't fail in a popular sport.

Conor, for example, is a striker in MMA. He doesn't try to wrestle. Very rarely, he tries a kick. He uses his boxing in his MMA fights. And still he gased against Nate. I don't see professional top boxers gasing that way after two rounds.

I hope you are right with "Why will future MMA fighters be able to go 5 rounds? Because they will start at a younger age. If you learn to fight hard for 1 round when you are 15 years old. "

Back