How do you gas out in the first round?!

quantiqus

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I understand that some fighters have better cardio than others.
I understand that it's very difficult to go for 5 rounds in a cage fight.

But how can you gas, as a professional fighter, in the first rounds, after 3 or 4 minutes of fighting?

You have camps.
You do trainings.
You have coaches.
You have experience in the fighting field.

And stil, you gas.

PS: I am not talking about guys like Kimbo or Dada.

USADA, 2.5 years not fighting, new sport and yada yada

Ask Conor.

He gasses out in the 2nd and is an experienced MMA fighter with 20+ fights under his belt.

Luis Santos was thiiiiiiiiiiiissssssssssss close to beating Askren.

giphy.gif

On the professional level I'm not quite sure, you would think fighters would recognize how vital it is to have good cardio.

A friend who was a decent boxer once told me that everyone has a pace, and if you fight at your pace you won't get tired.

I don't always think fighters gas, some guys need to get a second wind, I'm like this in every run, I start strong have a bit where I need to grit my teeth then pull it back.
Not to mention did you see the amount of bombs he was throwing, he wasn't doing Diaz taps.

On the professional level I'm not quite sure, you would think fighters would recognize how vital it is to have good cardio.

A friend who was a decent boxer once told me that everyone has a pace, and if you fight at your pace you won't get tired.

If not them, their coaches.

I assume you can improve that pace, though.

Can it be summarized into "effects of weight cut"?

I think a lot of gassing is a byproduct of anxiety.

If you’re winning by a large or comfortable margin, you seem to use your gas efficiently, but once a weak minded fighter encounters resistance, they start panic breathing.

Of course, some talented fighters simply lack the proper genetics like those who lack brains or muscle etc.

Wow it took 2 replies before the dumb USADA response.

Gassing out happens in other sports too so it's normal. Middle distance runners fading on the last lap or final straight you even see it in 400m races where they go too hard and die in the last 100m. You see it in swimming and track cycling as well.

Whether it's conditioning, nerves, pacing, adrenaline or genetics as has already been mentioned, you can never really tell.

Sometimes the first round is like a sprint. You can only sprint for so long.

Go hit a punching bag with repeated rights and lefts nonstop as fast as you can for as long as you can.

Even if you are a world class athlete you can only explode 100% for so long.

Fighting is unlike any other sport. There are so many different positions and techniques and situations that can quickly exhaust a fighter.

Also, taking damage slows you down as well. Blows to the head and body can additionally suck your wind

I understand that some fighters have better cardio than others.
I understand that it's very difficult to go for 5 rounds in a cage fight.

But how can you gas, as a professional fighter, in the first rounds, after 3 or 4 minutes of fighting?

You have camps.
You do trainings.
You have coaches.
You have experience in the fighting field.

And stil, you gas.

PS: I am not talking about guys like Kimbo or Dada.
Most mma camps are 6 weeks and they don't run like boxers

Also mma fighters cut a lot of weight

One of the biggest reasons is probably because of the weight cut. Other reasons might be because of adrenaline dumps, going hard for the finish but failing to do so, being pressured, anxious or overwhelmed.

Maybe some fighters might just not focus on cardio or not really bother pushing themselves in that department which would be pretty dumb.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
one of the reasons why mma fighters are looked at as D level athletes

getting kicked and punched to the body will take anyones stamina away pretty quickly.

sometimes its definitley a fight that is going a way you are not conditioned to fight normally. (Fedor v Crocop)

Crocop is used to controlling the center and firing at will. Fedor backed him up the whole time,using the threat of the takedown,miking it with his strikes,being fearless and unpredictable...then he got the takedown and mauled him on the ground,constantly switching positions to keep mirko working.

Im telling you theres no way Mirko expected it to go down like this. He was able to survive,but he was tired after rd 1.

Back