How do you defend against flurry of punches?

1. Traditional Karate Fighters must be physically conditioned.... That's a great lesson of Shotokan karate with its low stances & full ROM training....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. YOu guys talk about training hard, physically, to give you the physical edge. Traditional karate's discipline gives you the mental edge.... Of course against a mentally disciplined fighter you have a battle.... YOu have a battle against any determined fighter.... you don't just walk out there and the guy runs away...

>>> it's not guess work.... it's mentally disciplined WORK,,, deliberately, synchronized martial action against the opponent's reaction {<< in your case as you've stated}. You lose....

A mental edge will only get you as far as your body and experience will allow it. If your opponent is faster than you and willing to go the extra mile he will remain faster than you no matter how deep you dig. Having conviction isn't going to give you an edge if your opponent or advisary has it too. 'YOU' guys, I find this funny since you seem to be implying that I'm some kind of mixed martial artist or a boxer. I'm a mixed Karateka. A shodan in Goju-ryu and after a move interstate another in Kyokushin. Twelve years of Karate and a bit of Kickboxing for the extra Kumite practice.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Whittling down, you could say that.... The mistake on your part is that you are still looking @ kata physically, when the significance is kata training is mental.... You still want to cut & paste some 'clever' kata technique / bunkai & outfool--outguess our opponent....

>>> that is an element of the application of kata, the bunkai dimension.... The foundation of kata's mental training way overshadows what you see & try to take from kata.... which is outward physical form.... which is not kata....

Traditional karate can of course involve reflexive action, because karate is expressed physically in fighting.... The overall guiding mental activity & skill is not reflexes--it's conscious, deliberate thinking.... which then propels your action.... dynamically...

Kumite is what brings Kata to life, experience gained by trial and error. I'm not saying that Kata is useless, it's through Kumite that students find out that only half of the jodan uke is useful for defending your head against a punch, the rest is wasted energy unless your opponent has also decided to follow up with a kick to the ribs. More to the point if he has decided to follow his punch with a kick to your head defending your ribs is worse than wasted, it's counter-productive. Trial and error to find out how it works effectively. Kata is a guide, like the bible - You can swear by it all you want but at the end of the day it's someone else's take on the world, not yours.

4. Trail & error.... this is not the system of the karate curriculum.... You'll never get karate.... it's mental >>> not physical do this, try that....

Fierce_RED Belt steps in right throws right cross.... WHAT DO YOU DO? He's also ready to do follow up / left as combo.... What do you do?

I step in Left fighting stance (inside--now by boxer's lingo--Southpaw)... Where is his Right.... to my left....

What do I do? Block {do I block with my Left which is on that side or do I block with my Right which is away from that side...?}.... time is ticking---it's a free sparring test to win.... What about his left ready to punch my face as I step in? What do I do? If I block with my Left v. his Right {thrown} I still have my Right to protect against his Left--or should I strike with my Right {wait, did I SAFELY defend against his Right...?} If I block with my Left--fierce Red-Belt has a wide open shot to my head or body.... what should I do...?

So you get it right first time every time eh?
Funny, even the genious fighters don't manage that. Maybe you've transcended the very notion of martial arts altogether?
Pfft.
No matter how correct the technique may be you learn to use it by getting it wrong until you do it right and even then you might encounter someone who is so damn fast that it becomes wrong all over again.

5. True, but a vague generality....

>>> The conclusion is the poster / boxer's don't know how to make tactical decisions like I do....

Riiiiigggghhht. Because no boxer has ever countered a move before, they jsut swing for the stands and hope for the best.

>>> Against the Fierce Red-Belt, I had time to do the basic, "karate-defense-first" since he threw the Right alone.... and have to close the gap....

--- Hence my first counter-move was a block against the forearm / wrist of his Right Straight / Cross...which also had the effect on him of what?????

That depends entirely on his ability to judge and react. He might be sharp enough to counter with an elbow, he might just continue on through and knock you over with a shoulder charge or he might over-extend and open himself up the way you predicted.

---Traditional karate is not about marching up & down the floor performing physically... it's about mentally driving every precision move.... putting your whole, coordinated body strength behind the physical move....

In this I agree but your methods of getting that precision seem awfully questionable considering there have been no errors.

---This is very arduous & mentally taxing.... not the pitty McDojo tag you see, in a lot of boxing as well ***.... later you use that mentally-driven precision to take out the opponent...

And there I disagree with you again. No martial art can guarantee you victory, at best it will stack the deck in your favour.

NOW THERE'S A GENERALIZATION, BACKED BY SPECIFICS....

>>>Get my Sherdog coaching contract ready.... haa hah :D

Pass. I see contracts being one of the driving forces of McDojoism.

KarateStylist

***EDIT: No one suggested an answer to my question @ Post #58 {Shogun smashes Lyoto--"knocks" Lyoto's Head "off".} just above. See////[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Contracts keep honest people honest by removing any doubt about how much money you owe, when you owe it, and if you should quit or not. Contracts fight McDojo's because if the instructor knows you are committed to paying, he can teach rather than entertain. If their is no contract, he has to constantly worry that you will stop coming next month if it becomes too hard or whatever. After a year of contracted hard training, you will be accustomed to it. Contracts are good for you. Contracts help pay the bills, so that instructors can focus on their business and be professional martial artists, instead of working day jobs and training on the side. There is no limit to the benefits of contracts for the school, and the contract benefits the student from helping keep him from quitting.

Contracts keep honest people honest by removing any doubt about how much money you owe, when you owe it, and if you should quit or not. Contracts fight McDojo's because if the instructor knows you are committed to paying, he can teach rather than entertain. If their is no contract, he has to constantly worry that you will stop coming next month if it becomes too hard or whatever. After a year of contracted hard training, you will be accustomed to it. Contracts are good for you. Contracts help pay the bills, so that instructors can focus on their business and be professional martial artists, instead of working day jobs and training on the side. There is no limit to the benefits of contracts for the school, and the contract benefits the student from helping keep him from quitting.

well said

And back the other way contracts allow rubbish teachers to keep getting money from people who have realised that they're training under an idiot or in the case of GKR a master who has only trained three months longer than they have.

Pt. 1.
A mental edge will only get you as far as your body and experience will allow it. If your opponent is faster than you and willing to go the extra mile he will remain faster than you no matter how deep you dig. Having conviction isn't going to give you an edge if your opponent or advisary has it too. 'YOU' guys, I find this funny since you seem to be implying that I'm some kind of mixed martial artist or a boxer. I'm a mixed Karateka. A shodan in Goju-ryu and after a move interstate another in Kyokushin. Twelve years of Karate and a bit of Kickboxing for the extra Kumite practice.

Pt. 2.
Kumite is what brings Kata to life, experience gained by trial and error. I'm not saying that Kata is useless, it's through Kumite that students find out that only half of the jodan uke is useful for defending your head against a punch, the rest is wasted energy unless your opponent has also decided to follow up with a kick to the ribs. More to the point if he has decided to follow his punch with a kick to your head defending your ribs is worse than wasted, it's counter-productive. Trial and error to find out how it works effectively. Kata is a guide, like the bible - You can swear by it all you want but at the end of the day it's someone else's take on the world, not yours.

4. Trail & error.... this is not the system of the karate curriculum.... You'll never get karate.... it's mental >>> not physical do this, try that....

Fierce_RED Belt steps in right throws right cross.... WHAT DO YOU DO? He's also ready to do follow up / left as combo.... What do you do?

I step in Left fighting stance (inside--now by boxer's lingo--Southpaw)... Where is his Right.... to my left....

What do I do? Block {do I block with my Left which is on that side or do I block with my Right which is away from that side...?}.... time is ticking---it's a free sparring test to win.... What about his left ready to punch my face as I step in? What do I do? If I block with my Left v. his Right {thrown} I still have my Right to protect against his Left--or should I strike with my Right {wait, did I SAFELY defend against his Right...?} If I block with my Left--fierce Red-Belt has a wide open shot to my head or body.... what should I do...?

PT. 3.
So you get it right first time every time eh?
Funny, even the genious fighters don't manage that. Maybe you've transcended the very notion of martial arts altogether?
Pfft.
No matter how correct the technique may be you learn to use it by getting it wrong until you do it right and even then you might encounter someone who is so damn fast that it becomes wrong all over again.

Pt. 4.
A. Riiiiigggghhht. Because no boxer has ever countered a move before, they jsut swing for the stands and hope for the best.

B. That depends entirely on his ability to judge and react. He might be sharp enough to counter with an elbow, he might just continue on through and knock you over with a shoulder charge or he might over-extend and open himself up the way you predicted.

C. In this I agree but your methods of getting that precision seem awfully questionable considering there have been no errors.

D. And there I disagree with you again. No martial art can guarantee you victory, at best it will stack the deck in your favour.

PT. 5.

KarateStylist

***EDIT: No one suggested an answer to my question @ Post #58 {Shogun smashes Lyoto--"knocks" Lyoto's Head "off".} just above. See////

Point 1. I addressed this.... reread my musings, awful as they are, closely....

Point 2. Actually, I could agree with you in practical terms....

Thank you....

>>> Trial & error is where you go wrong....
/ * chop of boxing vid * /
2 random guys...from each prospective style...hmmmm
KarateStylist insert:[/QUOTE]

Point 3. Your Pffft is great for 10-year olds who act like your response indicates....

maybe not, but show me another fighter in mms who was doing this before anderson.
/* IMG-CHOP * /G]
23rwzdt.jpg
^^^ AS's opponent--TRIAL & ERROR @ WORK.... LET'S SEE OH MOVE BACK & SEE WHAT'S GOING DOWN--BRO-OH OH OH....

Point 4.

Part A. Shotokan philo of defense only.... now not so strategically dumb.... eh???

Part B. Right, I agree with you & tried to writed that up.... got slammed for trying to discuss the topic you are describing {was that you alterego slamming me just a post or 2 ago???}.

>>> WAKE UP I described the answer to your supposition--YOU ARE

Part C. Are you & Discipulus going to the same law school??? And I have no doubt you'll never have karate precision--as you put it.... too busy with the negative criticism for starters....

Part D. See final comment, Part 3.

PT. 5: Pass to SAAMAG.... and ehr, SummerStriker.... :wink:

KarateStylist

P.S. PLS....Try & try, OH try to do the edit homework assignment....

Last edited:
And back the other way contracts allow rubbish teachers to keep getting money from people who have realised that they're training under an idiot or in the case of GKR a master who has only trained three months longer than they have.

I've never met a rubbish teacher. I've met teachers that have students who can't fight because the material isn't actually helpful for fighting, but even those classes are full of happy people who lost weight and found a way for fitness to be less boring. All most all martial arts instructors teach what they do with conviction because they believe in it.

Fitness less boring + learning how to take a fall = best martial arts school ever.

The only people that will detect that a martial art isn't useful for fighting will never sign up for a fun time school in the first place.

I've never met a rubbish teacher. I've met teachers that have students who can't fight because the material isn't actually helpful for fighting, but even those classes are full of happy people who lost weight and found a way for fitness to be less boring. All most all martial arts instructors teach what they do with conviction because they believe in it.

Fitness less boring + learning how to take a fall = best martial arts school ever.

The only people that will detect that a martial art isn't useful for fighting will never sign up for a fun time school in the first place.

It's the learning how to take a fall, or a punch, or even a bruise part that poor schools miss out on.

1. I've never met a rubbish teacher. I've met teachers that have students who can't fight because the material isn't actually helpful for fighting, but even those classes are full of happy people who lost weight and found a way for fitness to be less boring. All most all martial arts instructors teach what they do with conviction because they believe in it.

2. Fitness less boring + learning how to take a fall = best martial arts school ever.

3. The only people that will detect that a martial art isn't useful for fighting will never sign up for a fun time school in the first place.

1. What world to you live in??? I've met some real karate instructor nitwits.... including in particlular 1 woman @ a tang soo do school....

--- I dared to question her dogma (she a 2nd degree black-belt @ the time). She suggested I would be 'happier' somewhere else....

--- For some, structure means 'brain off,' just the kinda karateka you MMA guys slaughter....

2. Yes Coach.... :wink:

3. Nor a women's prison, see 1.

>>> Oh, and Strucuture = / = monkey-see-monkey-do OR I'm miss little 2nd degree & your are kindergarten so asking questions is for mommy only....

DOGMA CHALLENGER ALERT:
It's the learning how to take a fall, or a punch, or even a bruise part that poor schools miss out on.
^^^ hOW MANY??? AND SEE BELOW--REALLY...
Rafael Cordeiro and Sergio Cunha belive that he need to train more wrestling, going to the us or bringing one wrestling coach to Curitiba.
They also said that he need a better gameplan in his fights, that go in there and try to land a big shot isnt the best strategy, they said that shogun is a natural LHW and is impossible to him make the cut to MW, they belive shugun can fight at the same level of the top guys on the LHW division.
They expressed their concerns about the number of strikes shogun received in his past 3 fights a total of 216 without counting 75 from Jones fight.Cunha said that he need to use the clinch and wrestling when fight taller guys and fight then on the ground.
And Cordeiro belive that time of his comeback could possibly come soon.

Toughts?

Source:http://www.tatame.com.br/ex-treinadores-apontam-caminho-para-shogun-voltar-ao-topo-do-ufc/

KarateSTylist

Last edited:

Learning to take a punch is only important for self defense, and not nearly as important as learning to navigate your life. For the idea of fighting off one larger person, which is much more important for women than men (who make up such a small portion of the martial arts community most schools I've been to haven't had any), is still second to personalities improvements and the confidence that is difficult to distinguish from being armed. Most crappy fighting schools raise fitness, confidence, and improve personalities.

To top it off, outside of Ststema that teaches you not to tuck your chin, the worst of the worst schools teach falling and rolling because it is so easy to teach and feels like real martial arts.

Last edited:
1. What world to you live in??? I've met some real karate instructor nitwits.... including in particlular 1 woman @ a tang soo do school....

--- I dared to question her dogma (she a 2nd degree black-belt @ the time). She suggested I would be 'happier' somewhere else.

There is such a thing as willful ignorance. People with especially useless instructors want to be there.

There is such a thing as willful ignorance. People with especially useless instructors want to be there.
^^^ No offense intended....
v---- Obviously in your circles, my criticism wouldn't apply.... :redface:

>>> Great input from you & SAAMAG on the high-kick defense T. I will be re-reading that....

EDIT: Excellent vids there too....

Yours,

KarateStylist

P.S.>
There is such a thing as willful ignorance. People with especially useless mindsets [sic] want to be there.
^^^ don't underestimate me....

Last edited:
Point 1. I addressed this.... reread my musings, awful as they are, closely....

Point 2. Actually, I could agree with you in practical terms.... This was true with me after some time training.... remember the recommended mix re traditional karate curriculum is 1/3 - 1/3 - 1/3 // kihon, kata; kumite.... which i endorse....

>>> On a purest level, kata can do it.... if you really appreciate how deep kata training is.... The purest mindset is not practical for most, even myself, I'll admit.....
Thank you....

>>> Trial & error is where you go wrong.... Karate kumite begins & emphasizes structure over trial & error.... vid-to-come by one of your "ROBUST" LEADERS.... vvvv HERE HE IS vvvv

Point 3. Your Pffft is great for 10-year olds who act like your response indicates....

>>> Trial & error is obvious.... What traditional karate does is provide sound fighting principles upon which to intelligently base your actions.... HERE'S A GREAT ILLUSTRATION OF YOUR GENIUS {LUV THE WEALTH OF RESOURCES HERE....} vvv
^^^ AS's opponent--TRIAL & ERROR @ WORK.... LET'S SEE OH MOVE BACK & SEE WHAT'S GOING DOWN--BRO-OH OH OH....

>>> Karate kumite principles give you an answer... not a guarantee....

Point 4.

Part A. Shotokan philo of defense only.... now not so strategically dumb.... eh???

Part B. Right, I agree with you & tried to writed that up.... got slammed for trying to discuss the topic you are describing {was that you alterego slamming me just a post or 2 ago???}.

>>> WAKE UP I described the answer to your supposition--again, I act on what the opponent did--THEN--I'm not standing passively like A.Silva in the vid.... REPEAT-PLS READ--I'M NOT STANDING MOTIONLESS WAITING FOR MR. FIERCE-RED BELT'S REACTION................ YOU ARE

Part C. Are you & Discipulus going to the same law school??? And I have no doubt you'll never have karate precision--as you put it.... too busy with the negative criticism for starters....

Part D. See final comment, Part 3.

PT. 5: Pass to SAAMAG.... and ehr, SummerStriker.... :wink:

KarateStylist

P.S. PLS....Try & try, OH try to do the edit homework assignment....

Point 1- I understood your musings, I just don't believe that Karate gives you or me or any other Karateka a better mental edge than any other style.

Point 2- Have you ever seen the documentaries where the historians gather modern experts and try to remake some ancient gadget using an old manual left behind by builders of the period? No matter how precise that manual is there will still be mistakes until they figure it out. Same with an apprentice, no matter how good his master is at his craft or teaching the apprentice will often get it wrong and that's with things that don't fight back. A martial artist will make hundreds of errors before he even begins to understand that structure. That's why martial arts are on a different level to dancing. As for the leaders...I have no idea who that guy is, nor do I particularly care, to use structured patterns you must control the fight and to control the fight you must be MUCH better than your opponent. If the guy you're fighting is on a level with you you're going to be learning as you go.

Point 3- I am human and I will take my leave to be immature whenever I judge it worthy.
Anderson's opponent moved back because he'd never experienced such a thing before. He would have been trying to figure out from past experiences if Anderson was up to something or just dog tired. The ability to be adaptable is still more important than structure and being adaptable comes from trial and error.

Point 4-
a) I miss the part where I said Shotokan was dumb, nor anything else regarding Shotokan for that matter. I was having a sarcastic moment about your seeming belief that boxers have no defence.
b)I have no alter-ego, just a single one...potentially big enough for two but still singular.
Unless your red belt is stiff and stupid or an open book he will react to what you do, changing the variables again and making it a completely different situation. That's what people do. That's why I spend more time focusing on my ability to react and adapt rather than my ability to make plans.
c) I'm not attending any law school, my illustration degree, job and karate simply do not allow me the time.
d)Kumite provides the questions and your chance to apply the answers or make up your own. Just because an answer works for somebody else doesn't guarantee it working for you.

HEY, THANKS FOR TAKING TIME TO MAKE THE REPLY:

Point 1- I understood your musings, I just don't believe that Karate gives you or me or any other Karateka a better mental edge than any other style.

Point 2
- Have you ever seen the documentaries where the historians gather modern experts and try to remake some ancient gadget using an old manual left behind by builders of the period? No matter how precise that manual is there will still be mistakes until they figure it out. Same with an apprentice, no matter how good his master is at his craft or teaching the apprentice will often get it wrong and that's with things that don't fight back.

A martial artist will make hundreds of errors before he even begins to understand that structure. That's why martial arts are on a different level to dancing. As for the leaders...I have no idea who that guy is, nor do I particularly care, to use structured patterns you must control the fight and to control the fight you must be MUCH better than your opponent. If the guy you're fighting is on a level with you you're going to be learning as you go.

Point 3- I am human and I will take my leave to be immature whenever I judge it worthy.

Anderson's opponent moved back because he'd never experienced such a thing before. He would have been trying to figure out from past experiences if Anderson was up to something or just dog tired. The ability to be adaptable is still more important than structure and being adaptable comes from trial and error.

Point 4-
a) I miss the part where I said Shotokan was dumb, nor anything else regarding Shotokan for that matter. I was having a sarcastic moment about your seeming belief that boxers have no defence.
b)I have no alter-ego, just a single one...potentially big enough for two but still singular.
Unless your red belt is stiff and stupid or an open book he will react to what you do, changing the variables again and making it a completely different situation. That's what people do. That's why I spend more time focusing on my ability to react and adapt rather than my ability to make plans.
c) I'm not attending any law school, my illustration degree, job and karate simply do not allow me the time.
d)Kumite provides the questions and your chance to apply the answers or make up your own. Just because an answer works for somebody else doesn't guarantee it working for you.

1. Then you comprehend the material to discuss; no way you "understand."

2. Ah, general sport discussion.... re-read my footnote @ post above.... you underestimate me--by suggesting a bunch of generalities that fail to address karate principles.... Just stuff like, "people make mistakes...."

>> For instance, what martial principles make you better than your opponent?

3. And you fit right in MMA-Man....

>>> On point, really??? It wasn't a focus mitt.... biity-bang---bang--biity-bang exercise.... that's his excuse??? >>>GEt the point... :icon_conf

>>> structure is good for what? And don't say "autisitc." :icon_conf

4. a. I'm sure Gichin Funakoshi would welcome you with open arms.... :icon_chee

4. b. I saw that.... don't underestimate me....

---Hold on Kimo Sabe.... You just said (what#-pt.3.-?) that "A.Silva's oppponent moved back because he had never seen anything like that.... and he reacted again the same way on A.Silva's 2nd try??? Oh, when my opponent reacts poorly it's his fault--when you MMA boy reacts poorly, it's as a professional, he's surprised / dumbfounded by a feinting 'move.' Again, you understand.... truly....

4. c. Good. Too many lawyers anyway.... thumbs up....

4. d. Granted. It's just traditional karate takes a disciplined approach.... rather than build the house on trial & error. SAAMAG's Shotokan vid... though sport karate.... painted a very good illustration {pun for you-ha ha)....

>>> iF the trial & error of sparring appeals to you.... then we have another 'stylistic' distinction.... makes the board more interesting & substative {lawyer-talk-sorry} than, "you hater, you;" AND, "nuthugger" {really catchy-forced to admit.}.

Best of Luck with TRial & errur, ***

KarateStylist

*** typos in honor of your position.....

Last edited:
HEY, THANKS FOR TAKING TIME TO MAKE THE REPLY:

1. Then you comprehend the material to discuss; no way you "understand."

2. Ah, general sport discussion.... re-read my footnote @ post above.... you underestimate me--by suggesting a bunch of generalities that fail to address karate principles.... Just stuff like, "people make mistakes...."

>> For instance, what martial principles make you better than your opponent?

3. And you fit right in MMA-Man....

>>> On point, really??? It wasn't a focus mitt.... biity-bang---bang--biity-bang exercise.... that's his excuse??? >>>GEt the point... :icon_conf

>>> structure is good for what? And don't say "autisitc." :icon_conf

4. a. I'm sure Gichin Funakoshi would welcome you with open arms.... :icon_chee

4. b. I saw that.... don't underestimate me....

---Hold on Kimo Sabe.... You just said (what#-pt.3.-?) that "A.Silva's oppponent moved back because he had never seen anything like that.... and he reacted again the same way on A.Silva's 2nd try??? Oh, when my opponent reacts poorly it's his fault--when you MMA boy reacts poorly, it's as a professional, he's surprised / dumbfounded by a feinting 'move.' Again, you understand.... truly....

4. c. Good. Too many lawyers anyway.... thumbs up....

4. d. Granted. It's just traditional karate takes a disciplined approach.... rather than build the house on trial & error. SAAMAG's Shotokan vid... though sport karate.... painted a very good illustration {pun for you-ha ha)....

>>> iF the trial & error of sparring appeals to you.... then we have another 'stylistic' distinction.... makes the board more interesting & substative {lawyer-talk-sorry} than, "you hater, you;" AND, "nuthugger" {really catchy-forced to admit.}.

Best of Luck with TRial & errur, ***

KarateStylist

*** typos in honor of your position.....

1. Not understanding and not agreeing are two different things. The Okinawans did not add any special mental ingredient to what they picked up from Chinese and Japanese martial arts when they merged them with the local style.

2. Professional and general sports and the people who study them have added to Martial Arts every bit as much as doctors did when they started targeting nerve clusters.
Experience and ability are the factors that decide the outcome of any fight. Martial Artists put the odds in their favour by training for superior ability and sparring for superior experience over the average person, but not every martial artist is equal and not all great martial artists are nice guys, if I manage to cross one of them no amount of wanting is going to make me his equal. That's a fact on the street or in a ring.
Your style doesn't do the fighting for you, you fight using your style, therefore your style is subject to every single one of your personal shortcomings. If you make a mistake your style isn't going to erase that and give you the time over, you're going to have to find a way to survive and correct that mistake.

3. Karate is a mixed martial art that was developed by mixed martial artists. Better get used to that club sunshine.
Having structured attacks is all good and well but if the guy you're fighting can interrupt that pattern, rhythmn or structure you're going to have to recover and like it or not that usually means winging it for a few moments.
Structure is good for holding things together, an autistic mind actually IS a good example because when their structure is upset they don't know how to cope, they rely soley on structure. People who can deal with life without structure seldom have the same problems when things don't go their way, like in the chaos of a fight for example.

a) I'm sure he would have been an interesting person to meet.
b)So based on one guy falling for the same trick twice you're going to completely write off the human ability to learn?
Have you ever done a Kata at the beginning of class, trained yourself ragged then done the Kata again? Even the best students will make mistakes when they're tired, they'll think too hard and lose their balance or forget what comes next. The same is true in a fight that lasts beyond your endurance, your brain and everything stored in it will be effected by you being tired.
c) They do make a lot of money...
d)I'm not saying build the house on trial and error I'm saying keep it standing with trial and error.
You use the same mocking typos you use on everyone to pay homage to me?
I'm flattered.

1. Not understanding and not agreeing are two different things. The Okinawans did not add any special mental ingredient to what they picked up from Chinese and Japanese martial arts when they merged them with the local style.

2. Professional and general sports and the people who study them have added to Martial Arts every bit as much as doctors did when they started targeting nerve clusters.
Experience and ability are the factors that decide the outcome of any fight. Martial Artists put the odds in their favour by training for superior ability and sparring for superior experience over the average person, but not every martial artist is equal and not all great martial artists are nice guys, if I manage to cross one of them no amount of wanting is going to make me his equal. That's a fact on the street or in a ring.
Your style doesn't do the fighting for you, you fight using your style, therefore your style is subject to every single one of your personal shortcomings. If you make a mistake your style isn't going to erase that and give you the time over, you're going to have to find a way to survive and correct that mistake.

3. Karate is a mixed martial art that was developed by mixed martial artists. Better get used to that club sunshine.
Having structured attacks is all good and well but if the guy you're fighting can interrupt that pattern, rhythmn or structure you're going to have to recover and like it or not that usually means winging it for a few moments.
Structure is good for holding things together, an autistic mind actually IS a good example because when their structure is upset they don't know how to cope, they rely soley on structure. People who can deal with life without structure seldom have the same problems when things don't go their way, like in the chaos of a fight for example.

a) I'm sure he would have been an interesting person to meet.
b)So based on one guy falling for the same trick twice you're going to completely write off the human ability to learn?
Have you ever done a Kata at the beginning of class, trained yourself ragged then done the Kata again? Even the best students will make mistakes when they're tired, they'll think too hard and lose their balance or forget what comes next. The same is true in a fight that lasts beyond your endurance, your brain and everything stored in it will be effected by you being tired.
c) They do make a lot of money...
d)I'm not saying build the house on trial and error I'm saying keep it standing with trial and error.
You use the same mocking typos you use on everyone to pay homage to me?
I'm flattered.

1. You added the stuff about Okinawan v. other eastern TMA's. I agree you don't understand traditional karate.... You agree I don't agree....

2. Now we're on the same page.... Was it me off the page or you???? :icon_lol:

3. "Club Sunshine...." how sweet.... :p The content of your reply confirms you DO NOT comprehend the purpose & principles behind karate training.... RElax, "MoonGlow," you've got oodles of company.... :wink:

4. SEE HIGHLIGHT; No, that's what you're saying.... I'm acting on what the opponent does.... I don't count on the element of surprise.... but leverage off of it where I can....

Calling SummerStriker.... you know the "lifeline" phonecall I'n entitled to once per episode....

>> Summer... pls explain it's not a trick, it's a counter... Summer, pls explain as I have to you that should Fierce Red-Belt pull back his straight after striking--more of a speed shot, my gambit is weakened from the way it happened..., what about how I would change it?

Finally on the typo.... aren't we touchy.... Sometimes I just make a mistake typing---how's that???

KarateStylist

KarateStylist said:
Pop quiz:
^^^ sUMMER, which fighter is doing the 1-step here????

^^^ The Machida fights, despite the slowing of Shogun from MMA 'wear & tear,' were the apex of his UFC career.... all time favorites, esp. 'cause of the MT v. karate style battle.... decisively won by Rua....

>>> Especially since @ the time, everyone was chanting the "Machida Era..." and hadn't a clue on how to handle the enigma {Lyoto....}.

KarateStylist
^^^ Echoing your point, here's where structure fails....
Point 2- Have you ever seen the documentaries where the historians gather modern experts and try to remake some ancient gadget using an old manual left behind by builders of the period? No matter how precise that manual is there will still be mistakes until they figure it out. Same with an apprentice, no matter how good his master is at his craft or teaching the apprentice will often get it wrong and that's with things that don't fight back. A martial artist will make hundreds of errors before he even begins to understand that structure. That's why martial arts are on a different level to dancing. As for the leaders...I have no idea who that guy is, nor do I particularly care, to use structured patterns you must control the fight and to control the fight you must be MUCH better than your opponent. If the guy you're fighting is on a level with you you're going to be learning as you go.

^^^ Point 2. Structure for structure sake is sport-fighting, not traditional karate.... Referring to the highlight above....

ON POINT: I posted a challenge @ the NicK Diaz Appreciation T. on what's wrong with the structure in SAAMAG'S SHOTOKAN KARATE KUMITE vid.... I guess I should do a T. 'cause anyone can reply with Point 3 like stuff. :(

Point 3. The Fierce Red-Belt had a temper.... so emotional immaturity only clouds the mind & works to my advantage.... is that 'worthy' of consideration?

KarateStylist

EDIT: see final post...
folow-on summary to follow-on....
KarateStylist

Last edited:
KS, I'm slow and am having a hard time sorting the question out. What are you asking?

Looks like Machida is getting his head broken off by a good one step counter.

As for the red belt pulling his hand back faster: countering a punch that is pulled back slowly is easy provided it isn't cover for a simultaneous kick. If it is, despite the arm moving slow the body is moving quickly, so you still see it. If the person is just slow, you can hit over or under the arm however you like. If the arm is pulled back quickly, the same counter is still there - you just have to be faster yourself. That's possible without speed if you commit to the motion during their hit, but assumes your motion will move you out of harms way. If they are drawing a punch back fast, and aren't moving away too fast to counter, then they are probably punching with the other arm.

Feint a clinch and elbow.
Step to my right and left kick his liver.
Step to my left and right kick his ribs.
Clinch and try to shut him down/impose my will on him.

1. KS, I'm slow and am having a hard time sorting the question out. What are you asking?

2. Looks like Machida is getting his head broken off by a good one step counter.

3. As for the red belt pulling his hand back faster: countering a punch that is pulled back slowly is easy provided it isn't cover for a simultaneous kick. If it is, despite the arm moving slow the body is moving quickly, so you still see it. If the person is just slow, you can hit over or under the arm however you like. If the arm is pulled back quickly, the same counter is still there - you just have to be faster yourself. That's possible without speed if you commit to the motion during their hit, but assumes your motion will move you out of harms way. If they are drawing a punch back fast, and aren't moving away too fast to counter, then they are probably punching with the other arm.

1. I threw up a thoughT question.... "slows" the word... Checked out your MT kick T, interesting.... those MT experts through mean round kicks... they even had the diminutive girl in the one vid doing mean kicks.... YOU'RE BEHIND!

2. I though it was kinda, "fight fire with fire," myself.... R Rear Overhand / Looping Hook {boxing form} trumps reverse left "karate" punch. Could add more descriptive, but that only seems to happen @ your T's. ****

3. I can't follow easily what you're saying here.... I posted the 1-steps of the 2 older TSD guys & attempted to illustrate this.... We also have the reality of the Sinister TILE vid of the strong rear cross in amongst much faster punches problematic to block....

You were constantly complaining in that T on a myriad of levels and points.... at least you didn't do this:
He's literally the worst person on all of Sherdog. If you post any worse, you just get banned.
^^^ I think it's pretty obvious there's a circle of 'influence' here....

On Point 3., let me close that saying an active defense is possibly a good idea....

Enjoyed watching all the MT round kick vids in your MT Kick T, including yours.... you're definitely an applied-fighter.... so you're in the right house, I guess....

"Fist of Nothingness...." I had fun busting on that, the circle certainly takes itself too serious.... not the karate tradition mentality @ all.... unless you count those BULLY KYO WHO CRUSHED NLM.... At least, you refrained from this....
No , he's not a bad person. He's just extraordinarily weird.
Yes he is. He is worse than hitler.
He is kind of douchey, but aint hurtin nobodies. I think anyways.
^^^ kINDA strikes me as the news coming out of Steubenville.... very indicative of success.... :confused: One of the tactics used there was your's, complaining about the position of the 'odd man' out.

Keep up the good MT work,,, and congratulate Disciplus, he's slimming down...

KarateStylist

****Very disappointed, upon seeing the excellent MT KIck T, @ your vague depiction....
LOL. You necroed a 3 month old thread just to reply to a guy who no longer posts here anymore?
^^^ Now I'm a "Necro-monger," for asking a THINK question.... OPPPs my name isn't SINISTER....

^^^ Summer, thx for stopping by........

Last edited:
Back