How do you deal with serious depression?

Exercise and alcohol, not at once obviously, but if that doesnt work its always better to get treatment

I'm about to lose my job... Hopefully I dont fall down a dark path again. I also just survived an insane car wreck. Life is throwing me punches and i need to be able to handle it. ( I Hope)..

Why are you gonna lose your job buddy?

That'll fuck with you for sure. The only good thing here is that if you know it's coming you can take steps and put a plan in place that will help keep you from sinking into a depression and keep you motivated.

I had a bad breakup with a girl I was really into a few years ago and I knew it was gonna be a rough patch for me so the first thing I did was let all my close friends and family know that I was down and could use some extra support for a little while. I've found that most people are pretty compassionate and eager to help if you ask for it.

Also, even though job loss, relationship loss, etc all suck, you can always find a silver lining if you look hard enough for it. Even if it hasn't happened yet.

For example, as crazy as I was about that girl, I found an even better one now. And losing that other girl motivated me to do a lot of soul searching and looking for other ways to find enjoyment. I got in probably the best shape in my life, starting competing in sub-grappling, taught myself guitar and started a band, blah blah blah. All things that wouldn't have happened if that relationship hadn't ended.

I also lost what was up to that point the best job I ever had a little over a year ago. I was miserable for a number of reasons. But I kept doing the things I needed to do to find an even better job and guess what? I found one and I'm a million times happier now than I was at my last job.

Once you've persevered enough times and seen things work out it gets easier and easier to look at hardships and set-backs as simply stepping stones and learning experiences.

Keeping a positive attitude and believing in yourself can do wonders.

"Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one." - Ken Florian

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” - Bruce Lee

Sounds like you need to forgive yourself for some things you did or didn't do while your mom was alive. Do you have someone who can talk to you about it?

Why are you gonna lose your job buddy?

That'll fuck with you for sure. The only good thing here is that if you know it's coming you can take steps and put a plan in place that will help keep you from sinking into a depression and keep you motivated.

I had a bad breakup with a girl I was really into a few years ago and I knew it was gonna be a rough patch for me so the first thing I did was let all my close friends and family know that I was down and could use some extra support for a little while. I've found that most people are pretty compassionate and eager to help if you ask for it.

Also, even though job loss, relationship loss, etc all suck, you can always find a silver lining if you look hard enough for it. Even if it hasn't happened yet.

For example, as crazy as I was about that girl, I found an even better one now. And losing that other girl motivated me to do a lot of soul searching and looking for other ways to find enjoyment. I got in probably the best shape in my life, starting competing in sub-grappling, taught myself guitar and started a band, blah blah blah. All things that wouldn't have happened if that relationship hadn't ended.

I also lost what was up to that point the best job I ever had a little over a year ago. I was miserable for a number of reasons. But I kept doing the things I needed to do to find an even better job and guess what? I found one and I'm a million times happier now than I was at my last job.

Once you've persevered enough times and seen things work out it gets easier and easier to look at hardships and set-backs as simply stepping stones and learning experiences.

Keeping a positive attitude and believing in yourself can do wonders.

"Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one." - Ken Florian

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” - Bruce Lee

Thanks, ya they are basically getting rid of my position. Sucks.. But im going to try and stay positive like you said and find something better hopefully. The only problem is this job took me 6 months or more to find... I hate the whole process of job hunting, looking and feeling sharp. interview. references..drug test... but it's life i know. I hope i don't end up taking pills like last time. I just slept all the time and got out of shape. I'm going to make sure i hit the gym and stay active and positive.

Thanks, ya they are basically getting rid of my position. Sucks.. But im going to try and stay positive like you said and find something better hopefully. The only problem is this job took me 6 months or more to find... I hate the whole process of job hunting, looking and feeling sharp. interview. references..drug test... but it's life i know. I hope i don't end up taking pills like last time. I just slept all the time and got out of shape. I'm going to make sure i hit the gym and stay active and positive.

Sorry man that sucks. Good luck. It's almost impossible to never get discouraged, but do your best to stay positive.

One of the things I tell people that has worked for me in situations like yours, is to make a list for yourself of things you need to do. Break it down so it doesn't seem overwhelming (just writing "get a job" on your list isn't going to help, and will likely just add to your anxiety).

Once you have an itemized list, and you know what you need to do to accomplish your goals, put your head down, and just start working towards one thing at a time. Even if it's the smallest little thing, like updating your resume, or even sending out just one job application, reward and congratulate yourself with every little accomplishment. While you're doing that, try as hard as you can to keep anything beyond those one or two goals out of your mind until you've completed them. Take it one small step at a time. When you do this for a long enough period of time, eventually you'll kind of pick your head up to look around, and you'll see how far you've come and it will almost seem like it happened by itself.

You got this buddy!

When mine gets bad I literally just go to bed

Download a shitty app game on my phone and play it till I fall asleep

I use sleep as a reset
Usually works

Sorry man that sucks. Good luck. It's almost impossible to never get discouraged, but do your best to stay positive.

One of the things I tell people that has worked for me in situations like yours, is to make a list for yourself of things you need to do. Break it down so it doesn't seem overwhelming (just writing "get a job" on your list isn't going to help, and will likely just add to your anxiety).

Once you have an itemized list, and you know what you need to do to accomplish your goals, put your head down, and just start working towards one thing at a time. Even if it's the smallest little thing, like updating your resume, or even sending out just one job application, reward and congratulate yourself with every little accomplishment. While you're doing that, try as hard as you can to keep anything beyond those one or two goals out of your mind until you've completed them. Take it one small step at a time. When you do this for a long enough period of time, eventually you'll kind of pick your head up to look around, and you'll see how far you've come and it will almost seem like it happened by itself.

You got this buddy!

That was a beautiful post

never had to
but if it came down to it, id just work out and look at my massive genitals in the mirror, and my beautiful face. Then I would go bang some LA 10s, and throw piles of cash at stuff.

That was a beautiful post

Thank you sir. It's all "much easier said than done" type shit though. I've been through a rollercoaster of heaven and hell the last few years and while I'm far from perfect and have a long way to go myself, I feel I've at least learned some valuable lessons (many of them the hard way) that hopefully can help others. That's my silver lining lol. I can hopefully help keep other people from doing the stupid shit I did/do.

My current goal is to have more likes than posts. My steps are:

1. Make friends with either @Clippy or @.Manhattan./john wang/buns/whateverthefuck (too weird to decide if I like or dislike either, leaning towards clippy for good story telling and liking more of my posts)

2. Post McGregor memes in the heavies (check)

3. Send nudes to @Zer (need to shave and get new eye liner)

like this post

My job is drastically changing. A lot more duties and responsibilities and no more pay. These extra duties will take away from what I enjoy the most from my job. Going from an easy schedule M-F to now having to work weekends and potentially a lot more hours. Problem is that the company I work for pays the most. So if i switch companies, it will be a huge pay cut and my family cannot handle it. Sucks. I am stuck. I get hating your job, but I’ve always loved mine. It is really going to be difficult changing.

Also recently my wife was acting strange. I ended up looking at phone records and found that she had been calling a guy at her work every morning and evening, almost daily. I confronted her but she says it’s just a friend. Idk what to do. I left her for a while but it sucks. She didn’t even get me an iPad. We have 2 kids otherwise I’d definitely move on.

Anyways, I’m super depressed.

Eat healthy. Excercise. Meditate. Get a meaningful hobby. Keep your mind busy. The more idle time you have the more your mind can dwell on bullshit. I also find psychedelics to have a happiness “reboot”, where if I have prolonged stretches of feeling shitty I will feel refreshed mentally afterwords.

My job is drastically changing. A lot more duties and responsibilities and no more pay. These extra duties will take away from what I enjoy the most from my job. Going from an easy schedule M-F to now having to work weekends and potentially a lot more hours. Problem is that the company I work for pays the most. So if i switch companies, it will be a huge pay cut and my family cannot handle it. Sucks. I am stuck. I get hating your job, but I’ve always loved mine. It is really going to be difficult changing.

Also recently my wife was acting strange. I ended up looking at phone records and found that she had been calling a guy at her work every morning and evening, almost daily. I confronted her but she says it’s just a friend. Idk what to do. I left her for a while but it sucks. She didn’t even get me an iPad. We have 2 kids otherwise I’d definitely move on.

Anyways, I’m super depressed.

You need to dole out some Doctor prescribed uppercuts.

I did absolutely nothing and it went away after a few years, but took most of my emotion with it.

I'm kind of a robot now.

Is riding a motorcycle really better than being deepthroated by a hooker ? Or high? Or jumping out of an air plane? The latter being something that can be done via lame duck simulation insides to get a glimmer of the real rush. Not saying I've done any of those. Just saying if you're going to go the route of pursuing adrenaline, I do wonder what the peak of the mountain is.

Racing a motorcycle, (with some skill and self control) lasts way longer than the joys of doing a hooker, without the anxiety of what else you just dipped in after. High? Only had gummies and they were ok, still prefer the motorcycle. Jump out of a plane? Everyone I've discussed that with said its 10 seconds of rush followed by a dull ride down, (if all goes right) Maybe a wingsuit, but that takes a lot of time and investment to not die. And I'm guessing the peak is always relative to the person, but all in all I'd say a motorcycle, (given a little time, skill and self control) is a wonderful thing to keep you mind off bad things. Its the same as meditation but from the opposite end of the spectrum.

I think there's a few more chances to save yourself when things go bad on a motorcycle than jumping out of an airplane of swimming with Sharks too:

giphy.gif

This fellow was not depressed. In fact I'll bet he felt pretty damn good after this save.

Drugs, prescription and recreational. Used to be drinking too, but I can't really drink anymore. None of it really works

<5>

Thank you sir. It's all "much easier said than done" type shit though. I've been through a rollercoaster of heaven and hell the last few years and while I'm far from perfect and have a long way to go myself, I feel I've at least learned some valuable lessons (many of them the hard way) that hopefully can help others. That's my silver lining lol. I can hopefully help keep other people from doing the stupid shit I did/do.

My current goal is to have more likes than posts. My steps are:

1. Make friends with either @Clippy or @.Manhattan./john wang/buns/whateverthefuck (too weird to decide if I like or dislike either, leaning towards clippy for good story telling and liking more of my posts)

2. Post McGregor memes in the heavies (check)

3. Send nudes to @Zer (need to shave and get new eye liner)

like this post

Well there's another like for your count friend

I'm exactly the same way, riddled with depression but forever helping everyone out with theirs, I agree with everything you said about getting out in the world though, makes such a difference

upload_2018-1-18_23-51-44.jpeg
upload_2018-1-18_23-52-9.jpeg

In that order lol. In seriousness, you can speak to a therapist.
I had mild depression and sought out a therapist. I talked out all of my issues. Furthermore, I quit my job and my attitude changed for a while. I was stressing less and feeling better. My job now is cool. Less stress and less headaches.

Back