How do you deal with serious depression?

WorldofWarcraft

Holy Paladin
Banned
Reaction score
How do you deal with debilitating depression? The usual just don't cut it.

I had a problem with it for years until I got help. I thought I could 'Man-up" and gut it out, but (I was military then) I had to get help for my issues.
Now that it's done, I make a conscious choice to be positive every single day.

Good luck brother and I'm here if you need me.

I don't have it myself, but the folks I know who have it, I try to be as positive as I can around them without being overly optimistic.

For the folks that just bask in misery, I try to avoid them.

Medication helps, and if it's serious enough you could try to enroll in an out-patient or in-patient treatment program. That works for some people.

Talk to a doctor and form a plan. Have faith that it can get better. Remember that often times when you feel great, it's like you've always felt great and that you can't imagine feeling like shit, but when you feel down, it's like you've always felt down and you can't imagine feeling good. Point being, your emotional state is never permanent.

I've been spacing out a lot. For hours sometimes. Having a tough time trying to force myself to eat, too.

I don't ever get debilitating depression. Every once in a while I get down. Where I don't want to do anything and nothing is fun to me. I look at my life I have. Beautiful wife and family. My house is fantastic. I don't have to worry to much about money and other needs. All that doesn't matter when I'm down.

I usually keep moving forward. I still do shit I need too. I keep going to jiu jitsu. I keep running. I still work. Even though I don't want to do shit. I snap out of it after a while. I know that is not the way to do it. I can't take drugs though. If I am diagnosed with depression I will probably get fired from my job.

I hope you get better man.

i try to focus on keeping busy and doing positive stuff rather then just sit and stare at the wall / PC.

One of these threads pops up every week in the betaberry lounge.

All I can suggest is hookers and blow in Mexico.

I've been spacing out a lot. For hours sometimes. Having a tough time trying to force myself to eat, too.

That is something you need to tell your doctor about as soon as possible. This is a medical illness, it is not just about "changing your attitude", go see a doctor and tell them you want to get treatment. If you are feeling very very down try to find a friend to spend time with. I believe you said you have a daughter and she is an adult? Perhaps tell her how you are feeling and that you would perfer not to be alone.

I tried drinking, tried exercising and taking fights, smashing everything on tinder, tried different challenges to distract me like running marathons and ultra running, it's all just distractions though. If you push through the bad shit, a week, a month, two months you'll start to feel better agin, but it will come back.
The thing that worked for me is drastic life style change. I was fucking rotting in my little rut, but I was comfortable. Getting paid well, decent truck, my own property, but I was miserable.
I quit my job, moved, started dating girls instead of just fucking randoms and now I'm genuinely happy. It still comes back, particularly in winter, but nowhere near as bad, and nowhere near as long.

If you don't have a family doctor, go get one. I tried to get help when I was ta my lowest from a walk in clinic, told them I was drinking a bottle a day and couldn't find reason to get out of bed. They told me to go find a family doctor or to go to ER if I was suicidle, otherwise I could go fuck myself they weren't interested. Problem was there was a waiting list to get a family doctor 6-8week. I took vacation from work, drank for a few more day and managed to get my shit together. If you can get one now they might be able to help you before you hit the bottom

Keep busy would be my advice. Tho, I don't have much experience with depression so I'm not really sure.

See a professional. Get therapy.

If you haven't, you're making an enormous mistake. It's better to talk to someone if you don't need it then it is to fail to do so if you do.

Stunning amounts of precarious SPEED!

marco-melandri-honda-motogp-drift.gif

rhss3vbubxrcpyug2xey.gif

tumblr_npn6c7ITt71sncaa3o1_400.gif

Come to the light Homie:
9845392_ride-along-on-the-fastest-ever-lap-at-the_53149bfc_m.gif

seriously, find something to do, that you can't do without 100% being in that moment, and you'll feel better for doing it.

Either that, or stop making shaddy deals with the Wizard:

photo-19717.gif

Last edited:
i try to focus on keeping busy and doing positive stuff rather then just sit and stare at the wall / PC.
This plus getting in the sun. Go for a walk in it. Dont listen to sad/angry music.
Open windows and cook good foods. I also dont reminisce on bad memories anymore.
There was a time when i drank my sorrows in university away and i treated a very special lady like shit. My best friend wouldnt give me a shot with her until i smartened up. Then i met a permanent girl who changed my life. We split on good terms but that period brougjt me back to life and forced me to remember who i was. Now im happy, motivated, have a good job and a fiance and a house. I cant contain my happiness some days.

Hope you pull through OP.

I usually make threads about black people being criminals in order to make myself feel better about not being black.

That or repetitive videogames that force me not to think about stuff.

I was pretty good. Felt good enough I tampered off my 262.5mg of effexor. Been feeling kinda down lately. Really down. Feels like everything is in stasis, which it is kinda due to injury. On the fence about whether I should go back on. It's funny because I finally got the weight off I gained from the pills. Not to mention I've jerked my cycle to normal again. Nonetheless, I dunno, I find it tempting to feel the numb pseudo happiness the pills give via general fugue of crtical thinking. If the side effects and withdrawal weren't so annoying, I'd go back on. Too much of a pain in the assessment to ask the doctor to give me something different. Tis just a GP I see anyway nowadays.

Back