How do you check a leg kick?

Robear said:
U have to lift the nearest leg to the leg kicking, i.e. his left, your right, and use the outside, the meat mostly with slight bone, bone on bone hurts terribly and an injury could be sustained. dont lift the leg to high

The other reason not lift the leg too high is that your opponent could wise up to that and go for the rear leg.

Avoid bone on bone? You want ONLY your shin bone to connect with your opponent's kicking leg. If you are using mostly your calf muscle to block (not turning the shin outward), you will take damage and negate the whole point of checking the kick to begin with.

pure_awesome said:
Lift the leg, left the leg, blah blah blah. Like that's the only way to check a kick.

Turn your foot towards the kick and lean into it. That's right, lean right the hell in there. Kicking the front of an angled thigh does nothing, that's the first thing Rich taught me. Well, second. Whatever.

And now, you're inside his range, he's off balance, and you've got forward momentum. Just for god's sakes, keep your hands up

i love this technique when my opponent is trying to sweep past my front leg to hit my back leg

SnowBlynd said:
The other reason not lift the leg too high is that your opponent could wise up to that and go for the rear leg.

Avoid bone on bone? You want ONLY your shin bone to connect with your opponent's kicking leg. If you are using mostly your calf muscle to block (not turning the shin outward), you will take damage and negate the whole point of checking the kick to begin with.
^what he said

When the kick is coming, try to absorb the majority of the kick with your head. Your tough skull will absorb the impact.

thought it would be interesting to read this again 6 years later after
what happened last night.

thought it would be interesting to read this again 6 years later after
what happened last night.

gotta love the "block with the meat, not the bone" camp in this thread lol

gotta love the "block with the meat, not the bone" camp in this thread lol

Ha, I was always told to block with the upper shin because you can break your kneecap if you don't turn your knee the entire way in... Weidman has a pretty good counterpoint, tho.

here's how

the only thing he forgot to mention was to turn the checking leg outwards a bit. the further you turn your leg outwards, the lower on the kicker's shin you are going to check against.

ideally, you want the thick upper part of your shin hitting the thinner lower part of the kicker's shin...foot would be even better. lots of small bones to break in the foot.

the only thing he forgot to mention was to turn the checking leg outwards a bit. the further you turn your leg outwards, the lower on the kicker's shin you are going to check against.

ideally, you want the thick upper part of your shin hitting the thinner lower part of the kicker's shin...foot would be even better. lots of small bones to break in the foot.

Just don't tell him about the secret Thai shin destruction technique.:eek:

Just don't tell him about the secret Thai shin destruction technique.:eek:

i believe the correct term is "Long Island Knee Destruction" technique...its a very ancient and obscure technique, known only to native New Yorkers.

until the Anderson Silva incident, that is...

I'm not comfortable with people saying that the check should be performed with the knee.

I think the ideal spot is the top of the shin, below the tuberosity of the tibia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuberosity_of_the_tibia

I just bring this up because I think checking with the point of the knee on purpose only seems like a good idea in sparring where the contact is light or through shin pads, but in a real match, you risk having your knee cap broken off sideways.

I don't believe you should point your knee into a kick. You should raise your knee above it and block with the shin. Blocking with the knee is like rolling dice on the outcome.

I'm not comfortable with people saying that the check should be performed with the knee.

I think the ideal spot is the top of the shin, below the tuberosity of the tibia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuberosity_of_the_tibia

I just bring this up because I think checking with the point of the knee on purpose only seems like a good idea in sparring where the contact is light or through shin pads, but in a real match, you risk having your knee cap broken off sideways.

I don't believe you should point your knee into a kick. You should raise your knee above it and block with the shin. Blocking with the knee is like rolling dice on the outcome.

honestly, im not conviced the patella (kneecap) is a stronger point of contact that the upper tibia (shin)...trying to get ahold of my orthopedic surgeon friend to ask him which is stronger.

you can condition the shin through heavy bag work...can you really make the kneecap stronger???

also...stop making new threads about shins and checking in this subforum for awhile. youre drawing all the idiots from the heavies over here.

honestly, im not conviced the patella (kneecap) is a stronger point of contact that the upper tibia (shin)...trying to get ahold of my orthopedic surgeon friend to ask him which is stronger.

you can condition the shin through heavy bag work...can you really make the kneecap stronger???

You don't want to make it stronger to impact. You can make it more stable by weight training, but what exactly would impact conditioning be improving? Toughening the cartledge so that the knee cap can't move as much? Building up scar tissue? Do you really want that for the knee?

With the knee being so strong, there is a good chance that you can bust someone's shin with it, but if their shin hits at any sort of angle, or even straight on an skips, or maybe even just straight on, and you get some sort of movement of the knee cap, you are going to be really unhappy.

About a year ago, a fighter / teacher I know got messed up. He was one of those guys pro fighters run from. 235 pounds. Thumb pushups. Black belt level Judo, TKD and years and years of Muay Thai. He could jump in the air and triple kick. Just crazy. I've seen him corkscrew jump in between a full speed spinning hook kick and land in a scissor take down. I've heard about him man handling a BJJ black belt. The guy is just on a whole-nother level. I can't emphasize that enough.

He got put in front of a new guy at a gym who had been hurting people, but no one warned him. This guy hauls off with a full power round house to the leg. The super fighter points his knee at it, the way he always checks kicks, in my opinion under the false security of light sparring where pain compliance works well, and ran into the actual mechanical issue.

The new guy busts his shin, hits the ground almost crying, can't walk, has to be driven home, quits, no one sees him again. Probably he fractured his shin.

The established guy finishes sparring, goes home, his knee swells up, and is forced to go to the hospital. He ripped some ligaments or something and had to rehabilitate his knee for 6 months.

You don't want to make it stronger to impact. You can make it more stable by weight training, but what exactly would impact conditioning be improving? Toughening the cartledge so that the knee cap can't move as much? Building up scar tissue? Do you really want that for the knee?

With the knee being so strong, there is a good chance that you can bust someone's shin with it, but if their shin hits at any sort of angle, or even straight on an skips, or maybe even just straight on, and you get some sort of movement of the knee cap, you are going to be really unhappy.

About a year ago, a fighter / teacher I know got messed up. He was one of those guys pro fighters run from. 235 pounds. Thumb pushups. Black belt level Judo, TKD and years and years of Muay Thai. He could jump in the air and triple kick. Just crazy. I've seen him corkscrew jump in between a full speed spinning hook kick and land in a scissor take down. I've heard about him man handling a BJJ black belt. The guy is just on a whole-nother level. I can't emphasize that enough.

He got put in front of a new guy at a gym who had been hurting people, but no one warned him. This guy hauls off with a full power round house to the leg. The super fighter points his knee at it, the way he always checks kicks, in my opinion under the false security of light sparring where pain compliance works well, and ran into the actual mechanical issue.

The new guy busts his shin, hits the ground almost crying, can't walk, has to be driven home, quits, no one sees him again. Probably he fractured his shin.

The established guy finishes sparring, goes home, his knee swells up, and is forced to go to the hospital. He ripped some ligaments or something and had to rehabilitate his knee for 6 months.

Interesting. Thanks.

also...stop making new threads about shins and checking in this subforum for awhile. youre drawing all the idiots from the heavies over here.

You're correct in your understanding that the proximal tibia is a stronger, more durable point of contact than a patella. Heavy impact on the patella can shatter it.

I think the term knee is getting a bit confused. When you throw a knee you are actually throwing the end of your femur at your opponent, not your kneecap. When you check a kick or block with a knee it's the end of the tibia not the kneecap. The kneecap should never be used.

I think the term knee is getting a bit confused. When you throw a knee you are actually throwing the end of your femur at your opponent, not your kneecap. When you check a kick or block with a knee it's the end of the tibia not the kneecap. The kneecap should never be used.

Indeed, no one has ever advocated using the kneecap for checking. The idea is so palpably inviable it's silly to consider anyone that trains and spars would.

i guess i was confused myself. kept wondering why everyone was was referring to the knee.

wait...so if its at the of the tibia, its still the shin being used. egg on the face of all the guys asking for "knee checks" to be banned lol.

Indeed, no one has ever advocated using the kneecap for checking. The idea is so palpably inviable it's silly to consider anyone that trains and spars would.

oh, ive taken a couple shins to the kneecap and never thought it was fun...not even close. go read the heavies and see what theyre talking about. or maybe its better that you dont...

Back