How do you check a leg kick?

Crocop_LHK

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
How do you check a leg kick? What's the technique behind it? I am not training yet (hopefully Muai Thai though real soon) but I've always been curious what is actually happening when you "check" a kick.

Lif the leg that the kick is coming at and point you foot up which makes you leg muscle tight take it right on your shin and hopefully you break their shin (best case scenario)

lift you leg. lot less impact that way and it hurts your opponent just as much if not more as they hurt you.

wrong forum... all the die hard ppl here are gonna bitch btw

Lift the leg, left the leg, blah blah blah. Like that's the only way to check a kick.

Turn your foot towards the kick and lean into it. That's right, lean right the hell in there. Kicking the front of an angled thigh does nothing, that's the first thing Rich taught me. Well, second. Whatever.

And now, you're inside his range, he's off balance, and you've got forward momentum. Just for god's sakes, keep your hands up.

Oh, and post this in the striking forum.

A straight punch to the face is the best way to check a leg kick.

jump like ur playing jump rope i saw matt hughes do it once against GSP

You have to lift up the leg which is being targeted first obviously. Then you have to turn your leg so your shin contacts the kicker's shin. It's important not to block the kick with the soft part of your leg.

jb52190 said:
jump like ur playing jump rope i saw matt hughes do it once against GSP

BJ Penn completely jumped with both legs over one of GSPs leg kicks, that made me laugh.

Also like everyone said, lift your knee and turn it into the kick, stopping it with your shin is fine, stopping it with your knee is better because if you do they won't be throwing many more kicks. Or just step in catch it and elbow them across the jaw. whatever.

U have to lift the nearest leg to the leg kicking, i.e. his left, your right, and use the outside, the meat mostly with slight bone, bone on bone hurts terribly and an injury could be sustained. dont lift the leg to high

captainkirkchop said:
You have to lift up the leg which is being targeted first obviously. Then you have to turn your leg so your shin contacts the kicker's shin. It's important not to block the kick with the soft part of your leg.
maybe you should know what you're talking about before you respond?

if its a front kick you use the same arm that they used to kick to swipe their leg turn them to the side then you kick both their legs out. If they're coming with a round house touch your elbow to your knee but make sure your knee is at exactly 90 degrees.

You dont have to check the kick with a certain shin...if your more comfortable with checking with your lead leg you can cross check kicks coming from the opposite side

Leg at a 45 degree angle, raised up with YOUR HANDS UP and elbows tucked in to protect your body. if you simply lift u your leg you wont go shin to shin which is the point of checking the kick. try to have the point of contact on the upper part of the shin as this is the hardest point.

as pure-awesome said, you can also bend your leg at an angle and step into it. closing the distance minimizes the force as well as spreading it out along the quad which will help with the pain and immediate swelling.

when starting out, always wear shin protection. trust me, dont try to prove you can take kicks straight to the shin, you wouldnt last a full round even if you were kicking at 50%. the best protection is made out of kangaroo hide and cost about $85. i prefer to use dit da jow before and after sparring. its great for pain and really helps with the swelling and bruising. definitely work on shin conditioning (without protection) by kicking the heavy bag. i use a breadroller on my shins, too. not striking with it (of course) just rolling it up and down for about 5 minutes on each shin, 3x per shin. it helps deaden the nerves so i dont feel those fucking splints and little knicks along the bone as much. oh yeah, do whatever your coach tells you. good luck.

Back