How do you all feel about young kids watching MMA fights?

5 is way too young but a 12 year old understands what a sport is.

That being said, I would never encourage my future kids to compete or even train MMA/boxing/kickboxing. Punches to the head is never good for you. These martial arts are mostly for people that don't want to do anything else in life and are willing to take the risk of future CTE/dementia.

In a year or two, I'm putting my son in a bjj class (when he turns 6). If he likes it, I will begin to show him great grappling fights and slowly introduce him to mma.

My dad, being a martial artist himself, took me to start training since I was 6. By 8 I had already lost a tooth sparring, and while I tried to pretend to be asleep on the sofa for the subsequent days... I went through with it and knocked down that bigger kid who took a took from me.

Fast forward to high school and NO ONE bullied me, I was the top athlete top jock... dated the chic with the biggest tits in school.

If you stop being a censored pussy for a minute you might actually feel good about yourself for once, without having to pretend.
<GSPWoah><YeahOKJen><DontBelieve1>

It's probably healthy or I hope it is. There shouldn't be a distinction between a kid watching football or MMA. Controlled violence compared to violence intended with malice is probably a good distinction to learn as well. Though I'm not sure a 5 year old would know the difference, but older kids might.

I have been watching mma since UFC 1 when I was 12.I had already been wrestling and doing martial arts all my life and my son has been watching it since he was little and he's 16.If you raise little shits then you probably shouldn't have them watching mma at a super young age.I think it really depends on the child but all that aside kids see 10X worse everyday.

As far as watching parents fight live,it's a little touchy but if the kid knows very well that their parent will be fine no matter what,it's a sport and it's mostly safe etc. basically if they fully understand their parent isn't going to die or something I think it's fine and it can be quite a learning experience.It wouldn't be a good idea if they never saw a fight before of course but if they know what to expect and not get hysterical it should be fine.My son's watched a ton of fights live all growing up.

I think it really depends on the child and it's the parents responsibility to moderate that.

Sanctioned hitting and collisions is pretty much the same across the board. In the NFL, technically the objective is to get the ball in the endzone more than the other guys, but if you ever listened to Lawrence Taylor speak candidly about what these guys are really trying to do towards the opposing ball carriers, you see that at the end of the day, one some level it's all just fast, explosive guys pounding into each other until one side is just not able to.

At first i wanted my kid to get into MMA, but its seems kids nowadays are becoming Conor fans or Mike Perry fans and i would hate to disown him. So i am kinda glad he isn't interested in MMA like his dad.

They shouldn't watch under 11/12 years..the emulation factor is too strong.
They also shouldn't watch it under 16 because MMA is full of douches but this is another story..

It's great. Way more useful and abundant with truth than the shit wwf and mike Tyson fights I grew up with.

During the most recent episode of Dana White's Tuesday Night Contenders Series I noticed quite a few young children (probably ages 5 through 12 years old) in the audience. I assume they were watching their dad fight. Do you all think this is appropriate for young children especially family members? I'm not sure how I feel about it. I don't have children but I remember (vaguely, lol) not being allowed to watch horror movies as a kid (MMA didn't exist back then, lol).
Totally morally wrong

Kids shouldnt be allowed it should be over 18 only

Compare how old you need to be in USA to drink alcohol for example

My son is nearly 8 and he, at times, watches the fights with me. I wouldn't allow him to Youtube street fights but I explain the rules and how its "safe but not safe". Emulation was a concern the first time he watched but I found that communicating with him has made it a non issue. If he had started choking kids out at school then I would have stopped letting him watch. Most of the time he falls asleep on the couch.

My kid(s) will be training in Wrestling or Judo once they're physically capable (around 6-7) until they're teenagers (then they get to decide for themselves of course). MMA is generally on when they're asleep at that age, so I'm not sure why they would see it, but I wouldn't be against it.

the "just bleed" gods demand you indoctrinate them young.

I'm not a bitch about it like some. It helps if someone is there to tell them what is going on. But every superhero has fighting in it. It's the same when people bitch about fighting in hockey or cursing in front of kids. You know you have to be a adult to fight during a hockey game its part of the sport. And you here cursing from tons of avenues act like you dont do it in front of your parents and swear in front of your peers.

5 is way too young but a 12 year old understands what a sport is.

That being said, I would never encourage my future kids to compete or even train MMA/boxing/kickboxing. Punches to the head is never good for you. These martial arts are mostly for people that don't want to do anything else in life and are willing to take the risk of future CTE/dementia.

That's not true at all. Don't want to do anything else in life ? Sounds ds like you want your kid to grow up being a pussy and not know how to ever defend himself ... lol

That's not true at all. Don't want to do anything else in life ? Sounds ds like you want your kid to grow up being a pussy and not know how to ever defend himself ... lol

Of course I will teach my future children to defend themselves if needed, but I also want them to have a functioning brain. Your head is not made for absorbing punches at all.

Of course I will teach my future children to defend themselves if needed, but I also want them to have a functioning brain. Your head is not made for absorbing punches at all.

You don't need to encourage it but if your kid wants to go into boxing, or kickboxing, let them. I would never flat out prevent them, that would just be asking for them to grow up regretting you. I would allow my kid to do whatever sport they want. Just because they join a boxing gym doesn't mean they are going to grow up getting CTE. Lol

The minute UFC comes on any kids in the room will immediately try to kick the other's ass. It's not good for kids without proper supervision as with many other adult things.

During the most recent episode of Dana White's Tuesday Night Contenders Series I noticed quite a few young children (probably ages 5 through 12 years old) in the audience. I assume they were watching their dad fight. Do you all think this is appropriate for young children especially family members? I'm not sure how I feel about it. I don't have children but I remember (vaguely, lol) not being allowed to watch horror movies as a kid (MMA didn't exist back then, lol).

I could see where moms might not want kids watching fight with a lot of blood or brutal strikes, such as elbows, soccer kicks or stomps.

That said, I don't see much difference between MMA and most other combat/contact sports, such as boxing, American football, even soccer.

Back