How do we bring back the free spirit and energy of the 80's music scene ?

Start off by actually paying for music, support local bands by actually going to shows. Don't support djs and edm tripe. Put the power back into the musicians hands.

I don't know, what are Huey Lewis, Billy Ocean, and Michael McDonald up to?

Free spirit? You mean souless corporate cock-sucking praising conformity and superficial trends while playing shitty presets on a casio keyboard and awful, cheesy guitars drenched in chorus and reverb while rocking ridiculous haircuts and clothes?

no thanks

Last edited:
The funny thing is that hair metal or more accurately pop metal kept imitating itself over and over. Pop metal--a more accurate way to describe the music--was created in the 70s. Kiss, Aerosmith, Van Halen and others really started the genre. By the 80s, it was kind of just imitating itself. The music in the 90s was much more creative than the 80s

I wouldn't say so necessarily...I agree about the hair metal/pop metal bands, to be honest that stuff bores me, but the 80s saw the rise of some really creative post-punk, new-wave/art-rock bands. Some seriously good stuff.

And why does Poison keep getting mentioned as a great band in this thread? Bret Michaels even said in an interview that he was making burgers, not art.

Yeah that stuff sucks tbh.

I wouldn't say so necessarily...I agree about the hair metal/pop metal bands, to be honest that stuff bores me, but the 80s saw the rise of some really creative post-punk, new-wave/art-rock bands. Some seriously good stuff.

Yeah, the Pixies and the Meat Puppets had a huge influence on Nirvana. Trash metal was really good in the 80s. Two of the most underrated rock albums came out in the 80s; Operation Mindcrime and Nothing Shocking, but they didn't really fit into pop metal or thrash, so they were never that popular. A lot of the really good music in the 80s was underground. Metallica was not that popular in the 80s, even though their best work was in the 80s

God i hate grunge with a passion. Worst subgenre of music ever created.Kurt Cobain was a proto hipster
Wasn't really into Nirvana,but I think Soundgarden and STP had some great songs,and Alice in chains was consistently excellent.

The 80's produced some of the, if not the, best music. Life before PC, life before whatever the hell exists today in the music world which is making the cookie cutter bull we're told is music but is utter garbage ?

Hell, a band like Twisted Sister, Van Halen would never make it in today's world. They were fun, high energy. Motley Crew, Poison, etc .... There's no risk in music anymore.

Cocaine

Free spirit and energy?
In the DECADE of corporate rock, are you kidding me.
It was a decade of fad music.

Free spirit and energy?
In the DECADE of corporate rock, are you kidding me.
It was a decade of fad music.
There was alot of great music in the 80s. I just feel like the bands that started in the 70s sounded better in the 70s than they did in the 80s. Still. There was still great metal,punk,hardcore and early raw nasty new york rap towards the end of the 80s as well.

Almost all genres and eras of music are great until they become mainstream. Someone said earlier about musicians just copying each other is right.

Death metal before it became as popular as today was more unique in the 90's. Now it almost all sounds the same and cookie cutter to apeal to a larger aidience.

HAIM, bands like On And On, Madi Diaz and others are still doing synth pop echo chamber 80s homages

It's definitely a style that still finds its way into modern music

American 80s rock/synth pop is absolutely still huge as f*ck back home in scotland

You guys might not still listen to Billy Idol, but there is guarenteed 50 kids playing something of his at any given moment in the UK

Last edited:
The 80's produced some of the, if not the, best music. Life before PC, life before whatever the hell exists today in the music world which is making the cookie cutter bull we're told is music but is utter garbage ?

Hell, a band like Twisted Sister, Van Halen would never make it in today's world. They were fun, high energy. Motley Crew, Poison, etc .... There's no risk in music anymore.

you have shit taste in music if you think that glam bs is good music. I mean fucking come on it's the '80s where's the Thrash instead you list a bunch of gender confused bands who played the same cookie cutter BS. The only decent "Glam" band to come out in that era was GN'R and that mainly due to them not trying to be glam.

I've read a few times that it isn't as easy to make money in the music business for new acts. If that is the case, a new support system for musicians is needed. If one is looking to promote music it is likely viewed as being safer to get behind the cookie cutter musicians. Someone outside of the current norm would be a risky investment.

I suspect thought that would be difficult, with the ease it is to quickly copy music.

That's the big problem, is the pirating.

Supporting yourself by "selling a moderate number of albums" isn't a thing anymore.

Back