How Do the Pros Train Conditioning?

A.S. Deep

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Road work (basic running) is popular in boxing for increasing stamina and seems like the obvious way one would condition themselves, but from getting input from pro fighters it seems many prefer to simply train longer instead. As in they train BJJ for 3 hours instead of two, since doing so would build stamina specific for BJJ versus just running. This makes sense to me, as I learned while boxing that running doesn't translate perfectly to the conditioning required for boxing.

So then, besides simple warm ups, is there even a point in running when it comes to combat training? Anyone know what UFC pros do for their conditioning?

Swimming - good cardio, low impact workout.

MMA requires both anaerobic and aerobic stamina so my guess would be long distance running and wrestling/grappling alot

They don't. Have you not seen Yolo Roidmero fight?

Cardio (roadwork) is purely to maintain basic fitness, raise the heart rate for a sustained period and develop lung capacity / recovery.

Afaik the only way to train for a specific event (fight, tennis match, football game) is to mimic the conditions you'd be in and push hard.

Spar hard and fast for a round longer than your bout. Push yourself.

The pay someone qualified to design a specific training regimen and some guys just wing it.

Road work (basic running) is popular in boxing for increasing stamina and seems like the obvious way one would condition themselves, but from getting input from pro fighters it seems many prefer to simply train longer instead. As in they train BJJ for 3 hours instead of two, since doing so would build stamina specific for BJJ versus just running. This makes sense to me, as I learned while boxing that running doesn't translate perfectly to the conditioning required for boxing.

So then, besides simple warm ups, is there even a point in running when it comes to combat training? Anyone know what UFC pros do for their conditioning?

They should train or do sparring just grappling or striking for five rounds each day, two times per day

in the shower after doing a rinse and repeat with the shampoo

wella-2598-59867-1-detail.jpg

Like this.

running is used to train the heart and lungs to be more efficient and is a great way to keep the weight down. There will always be a place for running due to the repetitive long term nature of it makes it one of the most direct and efficient ways to train your heart and lungs. As you mentioned some athletes skip the teadmill/running shoes and simply train for longer like GSP. Look as long as you are able to do what you planned to win the fight in 3-5 rds, your weight is where it needs to be and your heart rate is low your are doing the right thing on the "conditioning" side of things.

Crazy that more of them don't swim on a regular basis. 100 times better than running.

Lower impact, but swimming generally takes more volume to get the same adaptation. If you look at training volume of elite swimmers vs similarly elite runners, it's 2-3 times more.

The upside is that since there's no eccentric forces, you get significantly less fucked up.

Lower impact, but swimming generally takes more volume to get the same adaptation. If you look at training volume of elite swimmers vs similarly elite runners, it's 2-3 times more.

The upside is that since there's no eccentric forces, you get significantly less fucked up.
Good points. I suppose, for an MMA fighter, staggering cardio days with swimming and running would be ideal...would you agree? Obviously it depends on the athlete.

They do a lot of rowing (less impact), sprints (for anaerobic work), biking (for aerobic work), ski erg, airedyne, etc. There are so many ways to skin that cat that you don't need either long distance running or swimming though both can be great tools.

Good points. I suppose, for an MMA fighter, staggering cardio days with swimming and running would be ideal...would you agree? Obviously it depends on the athlete.

I would disagree. Swimming can be good, but it takes a lot of time to get good enough at it to the point that you'll be able to use it for LISS work. That's a shit-tonne of hours put into skill work just to be able to get the fitness work you want out of it, when you can get the same adaptations in terms of cardiovascular development out of any number of less skill-driven work- running, rowing, cycling, etc. Another means of getting the same whole-body, zero impact, no eccentric phase training would be using an Airdyne or Assault bike- and there's no extended period of becoming technically proficient enough to do it.

Fighters in general, even pros, work fulltime jobs and have to fit in strength work, hours of skill training, etc. Swimming is a massive time-sink; the return would simply not be worth the investment for most.

I would disagree. Swimming can be good, but it takes a lot of time to get good enough at it to the point that you'll be able to use it for LISS work. That's a shit-tonne of hours put into skill work just to be able to get the fitness work you want out of it, when you can get the same adaptations in terms of cardiovascular development out of any number of less skill-driven work- running, rowing, cycling, etc. Another means of getting the same whole-body, zero impact, no eccentric phase training would be using an Airdyne or Assault bike- and there's no extended period of becoming technically proficient enough to do it.

Fighters in general, even pros, work fulltime jobs and have to fit in strength work, hours of skill training, etc. Swimming is a massive time-sink; the return would simply not be worth the investment for most.
Interesting...I didn't think about the fact that a lot of athletes would need to invest significant time to learn how to swim well/effectively. My cardio has always been better when I'm swimming/surfing 4-5 times per week, as opposed to running. Never used any of the equipment you mentioned, but definitely interested if they are time efficient.

Less rehab, but a lot more massage work. The conditioning they have is insane.

Back