How Do Pro MMA Fighters Find Time to Train?

who said I just do BJJ and Yoga? I was telling OP to START a good basic training program so he doesn't show up to the gym out of shape. I started BJJ 8 yrs ago but started martial arts 10 years ago. You may not realize this but you're admitting Rugby is a weakness to your martial arts training. Martial arts is so demanding that you can't become great unless you sacrifice other things. Your philosophy towards martial arts makes all the difference.
Ah my bad, I saw the point about not going to the gym and assumed it was part of the same context.

And not really, there are good and bad things to all kinds of training and there are a lot of transferable parts of the sports. I've managed to out-wrestle guys with credible wrestling backgrounds just because I'm used to tackling guys who weight twice as much as me every week and I tend to deal with injuries better than most other fighters because they're a lot more common to me. On top of that I do a lot more weight training than most fighters do so I'm quite strong in comparison to guys my own weight and my fitness levels are still pretty decent for MMA despite the fact I don't focus on cardio at all but sprinting around a pitch for 80 minutes levels it out.

Regardless, I enjoy rugby more than MMA so I would never give it up.

Also, Sonny Bill disagrees
rugby-union-qbe-international-2014-england-v-new-zealand-twickenham-13-752x501.jpg
sonnybillwilliams-boxing.jpg

I hear if you join a UFC brand gym it only takes a quarter of the time and dedication to turn pro.

It's really simple. Stop being a lazy ass who makes excuses. You work 40 hours a week.

You have 168 hours in a week.

168-40 = 128 hours of free time.

I hate when people start with that "It's easy if you aren't a lazy ass"

I work 120h and go to the gym 3-5 times a week... answer is, you're a pussy

No need to be rude. And 120h is excessive for anybody...esp physical labor.

Ah my bad, I saw the point about not going to the gym and assumed it was part of the same context.

And not really, there are good and bad things to all kinds of training and there are a lot of transferable parts of the sports. I've managed to out-wrestle guys with credible wrestling backgrounds just because I'm used to tackling guys who weight twice as much as me every week and I tend to deal with injuries better than most other fighters because they're a lot more common to me. On top of that I do a lot more weight training than most fighters do so I'm quite strong in comparison to guys my own weight and my fitness levels are still pretty decent for MMA despite the fact I don't focus on cardio at all but sprinting around a pitch for 80 minutes levels it out.

Regardless, I enjoy rugby more than MMA so I would never give it up.

Also, Sonny Bill disagrees
rugby-union-qbe-international-2014-england-v-new-zealand-twickenham-13-752x501.jpg
sonnybillwilliams-boxing.jpg
Nothing wrong with what you're doing. Im just referring to the OP and the original question about "finding time to train." OP talks about wanting to be a fighter and I know people who are fighters (amateur, pro, UFC) and I train more than most of them, except the UFC guys of course. Im lucky that I dont need to sacrifice or use discipline because I genuinely enjoy training and working on moves. Ive been a good athlete my whole life and Ive my strength and conditioning has always been evolving.

Thank god I don't have a morning job. I get about 65 hours of sleep a week (but to be fair, with my training schedule I have to or else my body will shut down).

Shut up no one believes you.

You can work 20-30 hours a week, still get in two a days and still be able to compete. Not every day has to be 100% effort, if you are you probably are slacking on your technique.

i'm thinking of becoming an semi-pro basketball player. i work full time and i've never played before. any advice for me to accelerate my timeline? if basketball doesn't work I'd like to try baseball.

thanks in advance.

Plenty of UFC fighters don't train even once a week. Look at BJ Penn.

more fighters live in their parents basements than sherdoggers and are funded by mummy and daddy. the married ones get their wives to work two jobs and live off the tit.

Here's some advice I have for you.

1. MMA fighters are like baby sea turtles, most of them never make it to the Ocean no matter how talented they are. Injuries are serious, they can end your career and they can be extremely expensive to recover from. Financially, you will lose money fighting for the first year or two before you can establish a record impressive enough for organizations like Bellator, RFA and other smaller but still decently known promotions to consider signing you ( assuming you are in the U.S.). From there the ability to find sponsors that will pay you somewhat well becomes a real possibility, starting out sponsors are hard to come by and rarely pay the bills.

2. This isn't something you want to do unless you have a real level of belief in yourself pertaining to fighting. You'll need to find a job that's hours accommodate your ability to train as much as possible. I went 5-1 as an amateur and I'm currently considering going pro, I'm getting my security license because you can find night shifts and flexible hours and it pays a lot better than most menial jobs do. Other ideas are bouncing at clubs and being a waiter if you have the face for it. Starting out, figuring out ways to support yourself while training full time is crucial because in reality, the people you'll be fighting probably won't have made these kind of life adjustments yet in most cases.

3. Do everything you can to be the best fighter you can be. That sounds obvious, but it's not. Even many UFC champions are idiots who cut corners and do things the wrong way...look at Johnny Hendricks for fucks sake. That means eat the best possible food you can, prepare your own meals, learn about nutrition, have the right supplements. I would cook a weeks worth of meals every Monday evening and then just freeze them, this saves you A LOT of time and money. You need to be willing to wake up an hour early every morning and go on those 3-5 mile runs. Be a true student of the game.

4. You need to network, be on social media, most importantly instagram but things like youtube and facebook help too. This will help you meet other fighters, coaches, cross train at other gyms It will help you find sponsors and market yourself too. You need reach out to as many skilled bodies and minds as possible, look at how GSP was flying into New York when he was 19-20 to train with Renzo and Phil Nurse are two different gyms, even if you're going to Judo Dojo's or Brazilian Jiu Jitsu gyms and working with the black belts. You also want to either find a strength and conditioning coach, or do your due diligence and devise a strength training program for yourself, a lot of MMA gyms don't offer this or not to the extent you will want to be doing it.

you in the uk??? just asking because if you are then security is a terrible idea if you want to train a lot.

I know, that's for housewives, and I guess in some cases on here, househusbands.
that's a healthy nights sleep. Maybe you personally require less sleep, maybe you're sleep deprived, maybe you're just trying to start an argument, I dunno what your goal is here, nor do I care. Lol, you're trying to insult me for getting a good nights sleep? the recommended amount of sleep? Go away man. Or rather, let me....I won't be responding again.

Pro's are pro, they get paid and training is their job. In theory.

Mostly though, it's simply getting up early & going to bed late. I work 40 hours and have two kids, and I hope to get some amateur kickboxing & mma fights under my belt this year, so I'm also struggling to find where I can fit in the time to train as much as I need to; currently I visit my gym three times a week for classes, 2 evenings and 1 afternoon, which totals about 8 hours, and I've slowly been able to find the holes in my routine for fitting in time to work on strength/cardio etc outside of their class schedule.

Now I'm talking with other gym members who have plans on fighting, to find time and make plans to work on skills/drills with eachother outside of class schedule.

I'm considering joining a gym and was looking at the schedule with the intention of becoming an amateur fighter. In between that and just working even part time to support myself, there's not a lot of time to be able to meet class schedules. And you know 99% of fighters aren't making enough to live.

I work just 20-30 hours a week and might be able to fit in like 4-5 classes a week that don't fuck with my work schedule. There's no way you're going to become a pro taking 5 classes a week.

How are guys in amateur and 90% of pro fighters doing this?

It almost seems like the biggest advantage in MMA isn't athleticism or natural ability but just somehow having enough money to train full time.

What kinds of jobs do these guys work?
I wrestled in college with a part time job, work full time now and train for Powerlifting 4xs a week for 2-3 per session, get 7-9 hours sleep every night, cook my own meals to hit my macros, and have time to be with my wife.

There's no such thing as not having time, you make time if you really want to do something.

that's a healthy nights sleep. Maybe you personally require less sleep, maybe you're sleep deprived, maybe you're just trying to start an argument, I dunno what your goal is here, nor do I care. Lol, you're trying to insult me for getting a good nights sleep? the recommended amount of sleep? Go away man. Or rather, let me....I won't be responding again.

KAJCag.gif

I've never seen someone so sensitive about their sleep! Funny considering I get less sleep and I'm still less sensitive! Maybe that "Average" is a myth! Maybe deep down you know you agree with me and think that is too much sleep!

Back