How do illegal immigrants get work in the US?

GuanoApes

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I’ve worked numerous warehouse jobs with many Mexicans. Many speak little English, some of them have even admitted to me they were illegals.

My question is, how do these illegal immigrants get work? I thought you needed a social security number to be employed? Are these illegals doing identity theft?

Cash in hand in many cases I'm sure

A lot of them get paid under the table, a lot of them use fake or stolen SS numbers
Employers arent super eager to do diligent background checks on hard working people that break their back for little wages

Thats also why its dangerous for Americans with Mexican last names to travel in some parts of Mexico
You'll be targeted for your passport and US identification papers and then 47 people will be in this country using your name by next Tuesday

A guy I know just had his work visa run out, and even though he has filed all the correct paperwork and has a lawyer, he is still waiting on the government. I guess he is working at a restaurant for cash until his visa is renewed.

I didn't even know he wasn't a citizen, good guy, speaks great English, hard worker etc. It's a shame this process is so difficult slow and cumbersome.

Employers want people who will work for low wages that they don't have to pay Social Security or unemployment compensation. Many are hired through agencies that are supposedly their actual employers. The temp agencies have many identities they can use. Companies don't really want to know the details.

Employers hire them so they can pay below minimum wage, no benefits, and avoid payroll tax by paying in cash.

Employers give them fake or stolen names+social security numbers(destroys the myth that they don't pay taxes).

Always bugs me that people are quick to shit on others making below minimum wage when they wouldn't even be here if not for these asshole employers suppressing American wages to the point where only desperate folks like them will come work these jobs.

cash under the table. Very easy to do with construction, home improvement, or any other on-hand labor industry.

My question is, how do these illegal immigrants get work? I thought you needed a social security number to be employed? Are these illegals doing identity theft?

I've worked for a construction company in Texas for many years so I have a good insight how this occurs. The answer is that basically there is a black market for identity documents, same as there is a black market for drugs. When you hear about millions of social security numbers hacked and stolen where do you thin many of those numbers go? Every year we have to report a list of employee social security numbers to the government to check and see if any of them are fraudulent and we find that there are always fake social security cards.

The problem is that by the time you figure out which employee is illegal, they have already moved on to the next job and are gone. I've seen this play out literally 100's of times over the years.

Employers hire them so they can pay below minimum wage, no benefits, and avoid payroll tax by paying in cash.

I can tell you in our case that isn't true. We hire illegals every year but have no idea they are illegals until the government gives us a list based on the social security numbers we reported for our employees. Many of these guys are making 15 or even 20+ dollars an hour. The problem is by the time we figure out they are illegal they have already moved on to a different job.

I've worked for a construction company in Texas for many years so I have a good insight how this occurs. The answer is that basically there is a black market for identity documents, same as there is a black market for drugs. When you hear about millions of social security numbers hacked and stolen where do you thin many of those numbers go? Every year we have to report a list of employee social security numbers to the government to check and see if any of them are fraudulent and we find that there are always fake social security cards.

The problem is that by the time you figure out which employee is illegal, they have already moved on to the next job and are gone. I've seen this play out literally 100's of times over the years.
I can tell you in our case that isn't true. We hire illegals every year but have no idea they are illegals until the government gives us a list based on the social security numbers we reported for our employees. Many of these guys are making 15 or even 20+ dollars an hour. The problem is by the time we figure out they are illegal they have already moved on to a different job.

As an electrician, i've seen this happen over many years. You would never guess either, as a lot of these guys speak perfect english and are normal family men, they went to school here and everything. It sucks that it's like that, but like omar from the wire says "it's all in the game yo".

The only way that companies can make it stop (somewhat) is to have new hires apply to get a state electrician license. Most of them don't bother and don't come back.

I'm in the union now, and i'm sure it happens. But it's a bit more rare i think.

Employers can check SS numbers with the IRS before hiring. The companies who don't know, don't want to know.
https://www.ssa.gov/employer/verifySSN.htm

Usually with their hands like most people.

1. Sit at designated spot on sidewalk with other's.

2. Wait for construction or farmer's truck to pull up.

3. Fight for spot on truck.

4. Work all day.

5. Get paid in cash, at end of day.

6. Repeat next day...

Employers can check SS numbers with the IRS before hiring. The companies who don't know, don't want to know.
https://www.ssa.gov/employer/verifySSN.htm

Most employers don't want to do the job of law enforcement or ICE. That and these social security numbers are not fake most of the time, they are actual social security numbers. As @MMA since 1993 said, you would never suspect anything from many of these guys. They speak English and show up to work.

Back