How do hands down fighters avoid the counter left hook coming in?

ReasonableMMAFan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So, how do guys who blitz in(like Wonderboy)avoid always getting countered by a left hook? It seems to me there only defense is a knockout/hurting there opponent with the first punch of the blitz, but other than that, what's stopping a counter hook? It's not like you can even feint, if you do one blitz your opponent will be ready for the next blitz.

So, how do guys who blitz in(like Wonderboy)avoid always getting countered by a left hook? It seems to me there only defense is a knockout/hurting there opponent with the first punch of the blitz, but other than that, what's stopping a counter hook? It's not like you can even feint, if you do one blitz your opponent will be ready for the next blitz.
Hm, maybe catch them throwing the right or blitz in following their left hand back inside. You can't just mindlessly blitz in and expect it to work on people of equal skill more than once. Using it sparingly is good for keeping them from getting used to it. Especially for me since I'm not that good at it. I think it's better if you have longer reach or superior distance control.

They catch it with their chin, most of them.

Unless they're the part of the .0019% of the talent pool that can actually manage having their hands down against someone with any skill at all. You basically have to be miles ahead of the other guy in all-around skill, every time you face someone. Even Mayweather doesn't keep his hands down unless he's too far away to hit or facing someone like MacGregor

Changing elevation, distance, or angle > hands up

The fighter (Jimmy Beech) in orange gloves is considered the journeyman here and the one in yellow, Rcky Eccleston is the undefeated home town favourite, watch at 2:35 after the count, how Beech with his hands down feints with a punch, leading Ecclestone to react with a left hook and leave himself commited and off-balance, leading to the finish

Hands down fighters are the ones who counters, hands down is only the bait to turn the opponent in offensive mode

Back