How do all these college graduates not know what a HDMI/Cat V cable is?

My 8 year old nephew knows what a HDMI cable is because he knows how to hook up a console

Is this an attempt to feel superior to college graduates to make up for your insecurity from not completing college?

You're going to deny that's why you made the thread but we all know the reason.

<36>

What does knowing what a HDMI / Cat 5 cable have to do with graduating college in an age where damn near everything is wireless?
This is not highly technical knowledge we are talking here

You think all these students are bringing a laptop to class and using ethernet cables for internet?
No but we still get asked for wired internet connections all the time. Lots of people still don't like to use wifi for whatever reason

Our front desk agents are all fresh out of college and one request we always get from guests is for a catV / HDMI cable. So many of them have never heard of either of them. How is this possible? I only went to college for a year then went to a trade school but I'm pretty sure I knew what both were well before that. Have they never hooked a computer to a TV or hooked up a printer or modem? Aren't basic computer classes required to get a degree nowadays? Or am I simply old and everything is wireless nowadays?

I know what cat 5 (RJ45, Ethernet) is and I know what HDMI is, but this is the first I've heard of them together.

I also haven't been to college in 20 years though.

So? I never said it was
My point of starting this thread was that it genuinely puzzled me. My point of mentioning college is I assume they have spent a significant amount of time around computers. I've learned that calling it catV probably isn't as common as I thought. So that explains that. Still a little puzzled about the HDMI. They are still used all over.

I know what cat 5 (RJ45, Ethernet) is and I know what HDMI is, but this is the first I've heard of them together.

I also haven't been to college in 20 years though.
I didn't mean to imply it was one cable. We get requests for both quite a bit

I didn't mean to imply it was one cable. We get requests for both quite a bit

I think the combination exists though, check it out.

We might be as dumb as college kids, haha.

But seriously, they are fucking pathetic. Kids can't do anything except YouTube. They've never done anything.

My point of starting this thread was that it genuinely puzzled me. My point of mentioning college is I assume they have spent a significant amount of time around computers. I've learned that calling it catV probably isn't as common as I thought. So that explains that. Still a little puzzled about the HDMI. They are still used all over.
Yea they spend time around computers because they're using them (mostly laptops). But even if they used desktops a lot, why would they care about the cords behind the computer unless they were troubleshooting a problem or putting a desktop together?

Do you know the inner workings of your refrigerator, toaster and microwave just because you use them on a daily basis?

Yea they spend time around computers because they're using them (mostly laptops). But even if they used desktops a lot, why would they care about the cords behind the computer unless they were troubleshooting a problem? Do you know the inner workings of your toaster and microwave just because you use them on a daily basis?
I'm not saying they need to know the specs I'm just surprised they have never even heard the term "HDMI cable"

I'm not saying they need to know the specs I'm just surprised they have never even heard the term "HDMI cable"
You really can't fathom the possibility that such a term would never come up in a person's life?

You really can't fathom the possibility that such a term would never come up in a person's life?
No. It's one of our most requested items from guests so they're obviously still used a lot

No. It's one of our most requested items from guests so they're obviously still used a lot
I didn't know your clientele was an accurate representation of the populace.

Either way, the fact that the college grads in question didn't know these terms means they either came into contact with those terms rarely or not at all in their lives and considering how wireless our society is these days, it's not surprising.

I didn't know your clientele was an accurate representation of the populace.

Either way, the fact that the college grads in question didn't know these terms means they either came into contact with those terms rarely or not at all in their lives and considering how wireless our society is these days, it's not surprising.
Well fuck all you had to say is I was old

Well fuck all you had to say is I was old
Not necessarily have to do with age. I'm 30 and haven't heard the term "HDMI" in over a decade simply because I haven't used a desktop in a long ass times and I'm not a big console player.

Lol at an IT guy trying to put anyone down for not knowing something. You are a glorified computer janitor, its called an ether-net cable dork.

Lol at an IT guy trying to put anyone down for not knowing something. You are a glorified computer janitor, its called an ether-net cable dork.
I'm not even an IT guy I'm an HVAC guy. I just have to field the basic IT calls at night because they are not there

Not necessarily have to do with age. I'm 30 and haven't heard the term "HDMI" in over a decade simply because I haven't used a desktop in a long ass times and I'm not a big console player.
Never selected the input on a TV? Most of our guests use them to hook their laptop up to the tv in the hotel room (or simply steal them)

I can't even guess what this is supposed to mean. What were you shooting for with that insult?

Back