How do all these college graduates not know what a HDMI/Cat V cable is?

mb23100

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Our front desk agents are all fresh out of college and one request we always get from guests is for a catV / HDMI cable. So many of them have never heard of either of them. How is this possible? I only went to college for a year then went to a trade school but I'm pretty sure I knew what both were well before that. Have they never hooked a computer to a TV or hooked up a printer or modem? Aren't basic computer classes required to get a degree nowadays? Or am I simply old and everything is wireless nowadays?

I’m 25, never been to college (except to sell weed a few times) and I know what those are.

Maybe HDMI cords are too problematic

I wouldn't expect the typical person to know what a cat 5 cable is, more would know it if you include other alternative terms (internet cable, ethernet cable, network cable). Strictly speaking anyone graduating from college now is unlikely to have interacted with a cat 5 cable as cat 5e was introduced all the back in 2001.

Not knowing about a HDMI cable is a bit more strange but again maybe more would know of it if referred to it by more generic means.

Useful basic computer skills are considered to be those related to its operation and not the hardware itself. Much like how you can drive without knowing how to fix or maintain a car.

I wouldn't expect the typical person to know what a cat 5 cable is, more would know it if you include other alternative terms (internet cable, ethernet cable, network cable). Strictly speaking anyone graduating from college now is unlikely to have interacted with a cat 5 cable as cat 5e was introduced all the back in 2001.

Not knowing about a HDMI cable is a bit more strange but again maybe more would know of it if referred to it by more generic means.

Useful basic computer skills are considered to be those related to its operation and not the hardware itself. Much like how you can drive without knowing how to fix or maintain a car.
Yeah makes sense about the cat 5 but they don't seem to know the other terms either. In fact that was the call that inspired this thread. It was "guest wants computer cable".I said "Ethernet cable?" and she didn't know what that was. Then she said "they want to plug into the internet" so I knew it was.

apple-college-kids.png

Yeah makes sense about the cat 5 but they don't seem to know the other terms either. In fact that was the call that inspired this thread was "guest wants computer cable".I said "Ethernet cable?" After she said "computer cable" and she didn't know what that was. Then she said "they want to plug into the internet" so I knew it was.

The dominant forms of online access for people growing up now would be tablets phones and laptops. Basically all mobile type devices that use wifi.

The desktop is dead for consumers other than for people who have some specific computer related hobby the most mainstream of which would be PC gaming. Even then the growth in laptop gaming has been huge over the last 5 years or so.

The dominant forms of online access for people growing up now would be tablets phones and laptops. Basically all mobile type devices that use wifi.

The desktop is dead for consumers other than for people who have some specific computer related hobby the most mainstream of which would be PC gaming. Even then the growth in laptop gaming has been huge over the last 5 years or so.
But wouldn't college still require a laptop?

But wouldn't college still require a laptop?

Laptops can connect via wifi. Which is almost certainly what type of access would be provided at college.

It might be location dependent but at least here you aren't required to own a laptop or even a computer even with computer courses. Obviously it'd be rather inconvenient, to put it lightly, but all work is technically doable through pen/paper and the computer lab (or equivalent).

Laptops can connect via wifi. Which is almost certainly what type of access would be provided at college.

It might be location dependent but at least here you aren't required to own a laptop or even a computer even with computer courses. Obviously it'd be rather inconvenient, to put it lightly, but all work is technically doable through pen/paper and the computer lab (or equivalent).
Obviously but to not even know what they are? They're always like "guest would like a.....DM.....E?cable?" Lol

Never heard of Cat V.

I know HDMI first from hooking up my PS3.

Our front desk agents are all fresh out of college and one request we always get from guests is for a catV / HDMI cable. So many of them have never heard of either of them. How is this possible? I only went to college for a year then went to a trade school but I'm pretty sure I knew what both were well before that. Have they never hooked a computer to a TV or hooked up a printer or modem? Aren't basic computer classes required to get a degree nowadays? Or am I simply old and everything is wireless nowadays?

Millenials. I can't stand millenials.

To tell you the truth, I don't know what a Cat V/HDMI cable is either. Is that a hybrid cable that sends internet to your TV along with video and audio?

Last edited:
Back