How different would the landscape of boxing be with MMA or 4oz gloves?

One thing I've noticed with MMA is that flash KOs happen so much more frequently. You can basically reach the top of the division if you have an overhand right. In HW bouts, its basically boiled down to who can land the first hit (ie Overeem vs JDS, Stipe)

I can't help but think this is the result of the smaller gloves. Even though people say the padding is the same on the knuckles or that you can hit just as hard with the bigger gloves, it still feels like boxing gloves are pillows in comparison.

Also, I'd imagine the stances would change dramatically. I doubt people could come in with that high guard earmuff style and survive for long. Examples below:

TalkativeEnviousAmbushbug.gif

2hftekw.jpg

Notice how Mayweather's guard is a lot tighter, and he has the ability to stay defensive for longer. If anything, that Tito gif shows that earmuffing can work well, he just stayed there too long and couldn't keep it up. He let Liddell's right hands through with holes big enough for any sized glove.

Notice how Mayweather's guard is a lot tighter, and he has the ability to stay defensive for longer. If anything, that Tito gif shows that earmuffing can work well, he just stayed there too long and couldn't keep it up. He let Liddell's right hands through with holes big enough for any sized glove.

Tito's head is too far down for his eyes to be up at the end too. He was just covering up. Mayweather is actively catching shots, he's never letting Pac overwhelm him. He's seeing all those shots coming.

I have read before on this forum that boxing gloves allow you to defend differently. Like how though? I read that no gloves mean you have to parry more instead of coverup, but how so? 10oz gloves are not that big.

It's big enough to make a difference, and don't forget, you are wearing 10oz, but also your opponent... so it doubles the fun...

Back