How did you guys fix your Anterior Pelvic Tilt & Strengthen your Hips, Glutes, Lower Back & Core?

Savant21

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Title says it all for anyone who had an APT. How long did it take for you to fix it & outside of doing various stretches, did you incorporate a ton of assistance lifts into your workouts in order to strengthen your hips, glutes, lower-back and core?

I went to the chiropractor about a month ago (after having extremely annoying lower-back pain from squats & DLs) and discovered I have an APT. The chiropractor showed me at least 3 exercises (which I've been doing daily) to remediate my APT. Thankfully my lower-back hasn't been as aggravated as it was when I started lifting last year, however I still get lower-back pain occasionally when doing DLs (the chiropractor said to ensure that I have my shoulders back when in the starting position for the DL so that's been helping).

I haven't been seeing a lot of success with my lifts mostly because I had shitty form at first & now I'm just paranoid about lower-back pain. I read this stronglifts article that states what exercises to perform in order to increase your squat http://stronglifts.com/50-ways-to-increase-your-squat/ I plan on doing a few of them (i.e. Front Squats, Good Mornings, Romanian DLs & situps) however I don't want to be in the gym forever doing these exercises.

So my question is, did you guys (who had APT) perform a bunch of additional exercises/lifts to strengthen your hips, glutes, lower-back & core to remediate APT & squat more or did you guys just perform various exercises/stretches to fix it & basically did your regular program? I know this is very subjective but I wanna get a feel of what has worked for most people regarding increasing their squat (& fixing APT) since anyone who has APT has weak Hips, Glutes, Lower-Back & Core.

It really depens on whether it's an functional anterior tilt or an anatomical one. Most of the time, it's functional. Meaning, it's caused by weak glutes, weak hamstrings, tight hip flexors, tight lower back and weak abs. Some of these things may be more dominant than others.

I would start working on your hamstrings and glutes (Deadlifts, RDLs, Hip Extensions, Glute Bridges, Reverse Lunges, Glute Ham Raises are all good ones) and then start stretching your hip flexors after each workout. Just a nice lunge stretch, but instead of going too deep, focus on pulling the tail bone under you and squeeze your glutes. You'll feel the stretch pretty quickly.

Besides that, holding a plank while focusing on squeezing your glutes and pulling your tail bone under you as well is an excellent accessory. It both strenghten your glutes and stretches your hip flexors in one.

When you squat, try tightening your glutes and remember to take a big breath in and brace your core before going down. Pause squats are good too. Feel dem glutes and hamstrings when pausing.

It's all a lot of squeezing of abs and glutes lol, while working on hamstring strenght and stretching hips flexors.

Last edited:
I did Neanderthal No More last Fall and it helped. See the S&P FAQ for links. It's basically stretches and corrective exercises and they are pretty easy to incorporate into a more strength-based program when you're done.

Didn't read the whole post... should I squeeze mine, or someone else's? I am fine with either. Or both.
Preferably both! If someone gives you attitude just let them know that you were given the go ahead from a guy on the internet!

Definitely hip thrusts. What also worked for me were Bulgarian split squats & zercher squats as a work around for backsquats, and a semi sumo stance for deadlift to help take pressure off the lower back.

Pilates, don't write it off just because lots of older ladies or soccer mums do it. Joseph Pilates was a interesting guy who boxed and even taught self defense in the military apparently. I have seen good improvements since implementing it.

I use a Reformer tho not just the floor routine so checkout if you have any classes near you if you ever feel like you're out of options, not many men seem to give it a try so I thought I would mention it.

The best way.. IMO, is to figure out what is causing you to have a "passive" APT and figuring out what you can do to change that.

Movement posture F'd up during exercise? Sitting? Maybe you just DONT KNOW how to brace the spine? Repetitive movement patterns?

for me, learning how to properly brace the core and activating the glutes so that i wasnt constantly over extending during exercise. then implementing that into hip hinge movments like light GM, RDL, pull throughs

Last edited:
Back