How Did You Get Over Your Fears? (One Final Question)

G

greenocelot

This will be the last time I ever bother you, with my silly insecurities. I realize that I have a lot of options to teach abroad, but I had to dig down deep to realize my motivation for not leaving yet. It is most definitely fear; fear of the unknown and even more so the fear that it will be a mistake; and also I fear I won't be a good teacher. I FEEL LIKE A BIG CHICKEN! And I also feel stupid for this reason. It has resulted in me passing up some neat offers. This was something I had to address. I have offers, right now, but I realize this is any underpinning why I have not left yet. Something I had to address. I just want to go, start my own life and adventure, and maybe get to studying and training again. I only have one question.
How did you get over your fear of the unknown, and not being a good enough teacher or whatever, and find the courage to go?

I used to be scared of the dark. I thought there was a vampire living in my parents bedroom or underneath the bed.

So I just locked myself into their bedroom in the dark, and waited around until he never showed up. Of course I brought a baseball bat with me in case.

Growing up, my parents, siblings, cousins and friends forced me to do things I was afraid of

For the most part, there were so many times simply wasn't given an option to chicken out or I might've

Then one of two things happened
1) it worked out and everything was great
2) it didn't work out and I was able to deal with the consequences

either way, my confidence to either succeed or endure it anyways, makes me less afraid of risks. It didn't make the unknown smaller, it made me bigger.

You're young and capable, it'll probably be great and if not, you'll get through whatever happens

Give yourself a massage, on your head, using mayo.

Yes, mayo. It has different oils in it that will give your hair moisture and shine. Take it out of the fridge for an hour or so beforehand so that it doesn’t freeze your noggin. Wet your hair and then massage the mayo in. Wrap your head in a warm towel for 30-60 minutes and then rinse. Don’t shampoo right away to let the oils sit in and condition your hair as completely as possible. You’ll feel better and your hair will radiate sexiness. Just like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman. Or Richard Gere in Pretty Woman. You will no longer have a fear of the unknown. Trust me.

Fast forward 20 years , how do you wanna look back at your present self then ?
Being afraid doesnt necessarily mean your insecure, while being confident in taking a risk doesnt mean your being realistic.
One thing you can take for granted, if you dont do it, you´ll never know.

Spoiler alert: I didn't, so they grew to define my life, and eventually to consume it. I don't recommend it.

Spoiler alert: I didn't, so they grew to define my life, and eventually to consume it. I don't recommend it.
So you never got pass your fear of girls? That sucks.

Well, more cooties for us then.

Had a huge fear of heights. My job offered to send me to confined space rescue training. That means if I passed I would be a qualified rope technician (rappelling), first responder. After training the first rapell was from 150 ft in the air. What better way to get over your fears than to climb over a handrail and lower yourself down. Anyhow, that shit didn't work. I did pass and it was amazing. I still have a fear of heights. I now just have respect and trust of my equipment and am more knowledgeable about what to do when up in the air. I guess my point is....It's OK to be scared. Be scared....just don't let it stop you.

I always had a big fear of public speaking, so much so that I almost failed my Speech Class during my Uni days. I was able to minimize it by speaking to small groups of people and joining clubs (in my case I joined a discipleship club in church).

Since I was a kid I was freaked out by heights, I just consciously try and expose myself to them as much as possible. Now most people assume I was born without any fear of them.

Cliffs: don't be a baby and do it

Had a huge fear of heights. My job offered to send me to confined space rescue training. That means if I passed I would be a qualified rope technician (rappelling), first responder. After training the first rapell was from 150 ft in the air. What better way to get over your fears than to climb over a handrail and lower yourself down. Anyhow, that shit didn't work. I did pass and it was amazing. I still have a fear of heights. I now just have respect and trust of my equipment and am more knowledgeable about what to do when up in the air. I guess my point is....It's OK to be scared. Be scared....just don't let it stop you.
Fellow rope tech here. I agree it's all about being logical and accepting hour putting your trust in the equipment. If it fails you die, so no need to stress about it in the meantime.

This will be the last time I ever bother you, with my silly insecurities. I realize that I have a lot of options to teach abroad, but I had to dig down deep to realize my motivation for not leaving yet. It is most definitely fear; fear of the unknown and even more so the fear that it will be a mistake; and also I fear I won't be a good teacher. I FEEL LIKE A BIG CHICKEN! And I also feel stupid for this reason. It has resulted in me passing up some neat offers. This was something I had to address. I have offers, right now, but I realize this is any underpinning why I have not left yet. Something I had to address. I just want to go, start my own life and adventure, and maybe get to studying and training again. I only have one question.
How did you get over your fear of the unknown, and not being a good enough teacher or whatever, and find the courage to go?
Stop stigmatizing fear. It's OK to be scared. My career was as an EFL teacher abroad, and I was scared a lot, from starting a new assignment to every fucking morning before my first class. But I went ahead and did it. The fear at the beginning was counter-balanced by the good feelings from doing a job the best I could do, from helping people, from getting that salary, and every day at the end of my workday...that feeling of I did it!

As for your concern that you're not good enough, well, we all have to start somewhere. There is always a learning curve. You will learn as you go. If you have had offers, this means that the prospective employer has deemed you good enough, assuming that you have not lied about your credentials. Tons of young adults with little to no experience get hired to teach abroad. The employers know exactly what they're doing. They know they're not likely to get a seasoned lecturer...what they're truly hoping for is to get a decent person who likes his students, and shows up every time for class, having prepared for the class as best he could. The rest is gravy.

You gotta do something, and if you don't go abroad, maybe it just wasn't meant to be. It could be more than fear, in other words, that's keeping you back. There could be a voice in your soul telling you that it's not really really what you want to do. But if you can't think of anything better to do, do it anyway. At the very worst you'll have a cool and forever-memorable cultural experience, and you'll feel proud of yourself that you at least tried to ride that horse. You may fall off the horse - I certainly did, several times - and you'll either try again or move onto another endeavor.

Good luck!

Last edited:

you come to terms with failing. only when accepting failure will you be able to take the plunge.

Fellow rope tech here. I agree it's all about being logical and accepting hour putting your trust in the equipment. If it fails you die, so no need to stress about it in the meantime.
That's awesome. I still hate heights but have come to love rappelling. Once I'm over the edge and I have tension on the line I'm good. Doesn't make sense but whatever....

I hate flying but drinking alcohol helps me get over it, booze cures all dude.

Back