How did the alt-right became more popular than the tea party | Page 5

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by slivercord, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Contra-dictator Purple Belt

Contra-dictator
    If you have been in a poker game for a while, and you still don’t know who the patsy is, you’re the patsy.

2. MasterSeagal Brown Belt

MasterSeagal
    There appears to be a lot confusion/disagreement on what the definition of "alt-right" even is.

As far as I can tell there are two different groups who have both referred to themselves as alt right.

One group is an anti-semetic white seperatist movement, the other group: socially/fiscally conservative libertarians who hate muslims, love israel, say rude things... they don't differ all that much from mainstream republicans other than their presentation and the issue of immigration.

This had led to some strange situations, like Ben Shapiro (orthodox jew) being called anti-semetic.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  3. Happiness Silver Belt

Happiness
    I'm sure that tired cliche made sense to you in context of our posts. Me, however, has no idea what you are trying to say.

4. Madmick Stop Spoiling My TV Life (it's the one I like)

Madmick
    Which fucking "Alt-Right"?

This is the most poorly defined and deliberately obfuscated political term I can recall in my entire life. Just a week or two ago they were trying to paint this Tennis star Tennys Sandgren as a member of the "Alt-Right" for no other reason than the fact that he tweeted something about pizzagate being legitimate and also had the audacity to re-tweet some right-wing favorites like Paul Joseph Watson, Joseph Peterson, Ben Shapiro and Mike Cernovich.

Stop trying to weaponize a term against people who don't espouse its beliefs. Fuck the liberal media. Trump broke their minds, and now they don't even feel the need to pretend, anymore.

5. EZShrimpn It, this is.

EZShrimpn
    Steve Bannon is and always has been basic bitch Sarah Palin tier conservative.

6. EZShrimpn It, this is.

EZShrimpn

According to this thread the Gay Marriage advocating Orthodox Jews who read Breitbart and voted for Trump.

Contra-dictator likes this.
  7. TheGreatA Black Belt

TheGreatA
    Alt-right is every angry white (or white-looking) dude venting about women or minorities on the internet. Atleast based on SPLC's standards.

https://www.splcenter.org/20180205/alt-right-killing-people

If you've ever made a criticism about feminism, or LGBT, or minority groups, then you're alt-right, and a menace to society. Regardless of anything else that you say. Once you've been boxed in, you're alt-right for life.

8. hillelslovak87 Silver Belt

hillelslovak87
    Tea Party was a movement by older, lazier Fox News consumers. Alt right is a movement of younger, lazier Fox News consumers. By it's very nature, it won't literally die out as a quick.

9. fonzob1 Red Belt

fonzob1
    The reason the Alt Right is "more popular" is because the media gives them the coverage. If the media didn't cover the Alt Right, they wouldn't get all the attention they are craving. The media shows the Alt Right as often as they can though, so they can perpetuate the Alt Right movements are more widespread in Republican circles than they really are.

10. Your Salad Orange Belt

Your Salad

The Tea Party couldn't meme.

slivercord likes this.
  11. PrinceOfPain Silver Belt

PrinceOfPain
    Lol. It became popular because certain disingenuous political and social groups had overused the terms "racist" and "nazi" to such an extent that they required a new, ill-defined bogeyman term that could be used to imply guilt and silence or undermine their political adversaries.

In other words, the "alt-right" is largely kept alive by those who claim to oppose it, and by those too stupid to realise that they now constitute little more than a live action strawman.

12. Phelly2 Purple Belt

Phelly2
    Alt right became popular when identity politics became popular.

People rightly see ideas like "white privilege" and organizations like "black lives matter" as inherently racist. So the thought process goes, if it's race against race, I guess I have to join the white equivalent of "black lives matter" which is the alt right. I see the racist alt-right as the equal and opposite reaction to the reverse racism of the mainstream left.

With that said, I also agree that "alt right" is a very vague, boogeyman term which social justice warriors like to use to slander anyone they disagree with.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  13. InternetHero Steel Belt

InternetHero
    First off. I highly doubt the alt-right is "more popular" in terms of polling, sympathetic former members/current members/potential members, or poised to do more than the Tea Party's pushing the GOP to the right.

Second off. While the alt-right has a disproportionate political impact thanks to Trump and Trump playing footsie with the figures, encourages more foolish people to join, play lip service to them et al.

Finding living, breathing alt-right members in the real world is a bit difficult. The few hundred people (or few dozen depending on the count) at most are not generating a tidal wave of tiki torch enthusiasts.

Third off.

America has always been very resistant to fascism. The Nazi's, as well as anti-antisemitism had marginal success in the USA before WWII and have understandably and rightly been politically verboten ever since.

I think we can gladly expect the alt-right to remain a marginal clique of misanthropes, and that polite society such as it still exists in America should make sure they stay on the fringes and beyond.

My two cents, anyway.

slivercord likes this.