How did Rampage vs Evans UFC 114 do over 1mil PPV buys

They were both recent champs in the popular LHW division
Grudge matches sell
Their TUF is the biggest one ever, featuring Kimbo
Rampage was coming off A-Team
UFC was at a general high point in terms of PPV; their floor was 250k buys

That season of TUF was one of the best. They got many great fighters out of it, and the coaches and crew were full of personality. Its actually suprising they havent had a HW season of TUF since. I know it has the thinnest talent pool, but I would love a season with all experienced HWs. Get a bunch of ex football, rugby, hockey, basketball ect players, and create a new star.

Was a lot of hype and bad blood between them. Big names at the time .and I recall being hyped for every fight on the card .Diego still had a lot of name value being fresh off a title fight Todd duffee just set a record for fastest ko lil nog was a name to be excited for back then ( but brilz was robbed ) bisping was always a big draw back then so I say was an all around good card at the time

Was it because they were coaches on TUF?

It wasnt even for a title either

Plus not a good co main either..Bisping cake walk over journeyman Dan Miller

Jones vs Evans, which had a more better rivalry only did 700K

Jones vs Rampage only did 520K

That's also significantly more than all (4) of Mighty Mouses PPV totals COMBINED

Other fights on the main card

Todd Duffee vs Mike Russo - sub average HW fight
Lil Nog vs journeyman Jason Brilz
No name John Hathway vs Pre Crazy Diego

Another note

UFC 113, the PPV before with the highly anticipated rematch between Machida & Shogun, a title fight
Also with Kimbo
and Kosheck vs Daley on the card
only did 500K buys

Rampage was going on talk shows and pretty mainstream at the time because of the A Team movie, TUF and they were both in their prime.

MV5BMTc4ODc4NTQ1N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDUxODUyMw@@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Sadly the fight didnt live up to it because Rampage even then had gotten lazy and was on a clear downside in his career. Prime Rampage would have made a fantastic fight out of it and imo knocked Rashad out.

It was a great season of TUF. Second to last one I followed too. It was an epic build up, that’s why it sold. If the fight had lived up to the hype you wouldn’t ask this question. No mma fan at the time wanted to miss this one

Was it because they were coaches on TUF?

It wasnt even for a title either

Plus not a good co main either..Bisping cake walk over journeyman Dan Miller

Jones vs Evans, which had a more better rivalry only did 700K

Jones vs Rampage only did 520K

That's also significantly more than all (4) of Mighty Mouses PPV totals COMBINED

Other fights on the main card

Todd Duffee vs Mike Russo - sub average HW fight
Lil Nog vs journeyman Jason Brilz
No name John Hathway vs Pre Crazy Diego

Another note

UFC 113, the PPV before with the highly anticipated rematch between Machida & Shogun, a title fight
Also with Kimbo
and Kosheck vs Daley on the card
only did 500K buys
I think it was mainly due to the fact that their TUF season had Kimbo on it. Kimbo brought the viewers to TUF and got them invested in the rivalry between the two.

Back