How did Rampage vs Evans UFC 114 do over 1mil PPV buys

Massive build up during the first golden era of the UFC.

Star power, excellent promotion and opportune timing. 2007 - 2011 represents the UFC’s organizational peak insofar as its power to stoke buys simply by attaching its name to a product.

MMA was still on the rise and people still paid attention to TUF.

Not to mention the A-Team movie didn't hurt.

Height of both guys popularity
Rampage was a good draw and Rashad was a decent draw
That together with over a year of build up like the post fight banter "Black on black crime" and a good season of TUF

Too bad the fight sucked and that is where both's popularity peaked.

That was peak UFC.

I remember that fight week in high school we were all pumped up for it and there was a big weekend party for it.

Fight fucking sucked outside of the first and last exchange.

Rampages line

“Black on Black Crime”

People were tuning in to see a slug fest

Woodley could learn a thing or two from Page

Their fight was postponed after TUF, too. The season ended on December, and their fight was in May. That was just a red-hot fight.

Back then, the UFC fans were pumped for this fight because both were former champions who had KO'd Chuck. Also, however many thousands of fans Kimbo brought over were treated to a dozen confrontations and staredowns, so they had to be invested.

On top of all that, The A-Team was coming out just one week later, so Rampage was given a lot of exposure. Perfect storm.

Was it because they were coaches on TUF?

It wasnt even for a title either

Plus not a good co main either..Bisping cake walk over journeyman Dan Miller

Jones vs Evans, which had a more better rivalry only did 700K

Jones vs Rampage only did 520K

That's also significantly more than all (4) of Mighty Mouses PPV totals COMBINED

Other fights on the main card

Todd Duffee vs Mike Russo - sub average HW fight
Lil Nog vs journeyman Jason Brilz
No name John Hathway vs Pre Crazy Diego

Another note

UFC 113, the PPV before with the highly anticipated rematch between Machida & Shogun, a title fight
Also with Kimbo
and Kosheck vs Daley on the card
only did 500K buys

easy they hated each other. fas loved rampage more than they do now.

Rashad really fucked over the fans with that fight. Rampage made it exciting for the first 30 seconds and the last 30 seconds but Rashad was just a snooze fest the rest of the time. It's a shame too because a lot of people regretted buying that PPV. All those months of shit talking and you're just going to go out there and lay on a motherfucker? C'mon Rashad.

iu

Because we were promised a fucking fight! They hype for that match up was awesome and then the fight itself was underwhelming lol. I Remeber near the end of the fight where Rampage rocked Rashad but didn’t follow it up and he ended up losing the decision, shit was brutally disappointing lol.
All day long. I've never been so hyped for a fight ever. But we got a good old point-fight wrestlefucking. I legit jumped up screaming when Rampage almost finished it after over ten minutes of horrendously boring lnp but fat Rampage gassed trying and Rashad won a clear 29-28.

I will never forget that night. Hugely disappointing.

That was peak UFC.

I remember that fight week in high school we were all pumped up for it and there was a big weekend party for it.

Fight fucking sucked outside of the first and last exchange.

This. Watched this fight at a party and what a fucking bust that was. I remember we kept talking the fight up like it was going to be some hagler hearns shit.

sucks it was only 3 rounds lol

That fight was huge at the time and it sucked balls. We had a group at work that would get together for cards. No one cared after that shitfest

The hype was real
Dopest TUF season of all time
A year + build up

“There gonna be some more black on black crime”

RampageJacksonRashadEvans.jpg

I have to agree.

TUF 10 was a great fucking season. My favourite out of all of them.

The season of TUF that Rampage and Rashad coached on was the most popular in TUF history.

It brought in a lot of great characters into the UFC like Roy, Kimbo, Schaub, and Mitrione.

During the season Rampage and Rashad basically sold wolf tickets all through with their "bad blood" and "beef" that turned into one of the biggest letdowns in UFC history.

Rampage was charismatic enough to sell it though and people bought it as a result.

Their fight was postponed after TUF, too. The season ended on December, and their fight was in May. That was just a red-hot fight.

Back then, the UFC fans were pumped for this fight because both were former champions who had KO'd Chuck. Also, however many thousands of fans Kimbo brought over were treated to a dozen confrontations and staredowns, so they had to be invested.

On top of all that, The A-Team was coming out just one week later, so Rampage was given a lot of exposure. Perfect storm.

The whole season was fucking great.

Not just the Rampage/Rashad stuff, but there was lots of drama between contestants, and most the fights were finishes.

Titties!! Meathead!! Big Baby! James McSweeney being a cunt to everyone!

Best season, imo.

Back