How did Mike Tyson become an icon?

He was still very fast....probably the fastest HW I've ever seen. HWs now look sluggish in comparison....just big lumbering mounds of goo
I wasn’t comparing him to valuev or Charles Martin. If you go back to the 70s or when Lennox was the man, you can watch people who can neutralise Tyson. This doesn’t mean Tyson is a bum or anything, but he isn’t winning his fights in shadowboxing. In the ring he isn’t and wasn’t invincible just because the tapes look amazing.

I wasn’t comparing him to valuev or Charles Martin. If you go back to the 70s or when Lennox was the man, you can watch people who can neutralise Tyson. This doesn’t mean Tyson is a bum or anything, but he isn’t winning his fights in shadowboxing. In the ring he isn’t and wasn’t invincible just because the tapes look amazing.

By the time Tyson fought Lewis he was a shell of himself. Those tapes and the speed and movement everyone here is talking about was back in the kevin rooney days when he was at his physical and mental best. If Lewis got KOd by Rahman and Mccall who was pretty much Tysons sparring partner....a prime Tyson would have obliterated him.

By the time Tyson fought Lewis he was a shell of himself. Those tapes and the speed and movement everyone here is talking about was back in the kevin rooney days when he was at his physical and mental best. If Lewis got KOd by Rahman and Mccall who was pretty much Tysons sparring partner....a prime Tyson would have obliterated him.
I’m not going to drag myself through another Tyson argument, Tyson beats anyone in history blah blah blah rape case etc. Rahman and McCall have as much relevance to this fight as Douglas and Williams.

Don’t lower yourself into that conversation.

I’m not going to drag myself through another Tyson argument, Tyson beats anyone in history blah blah blah rape case etc. Rahman and McCall have as much relevance to this fight as Douglas and Williams.

Don’t lower yourself into that conversation.

Just making valid points good sir. History has already written itself out and Lewis beat a way past his prime, run down tyson. No one will deny that.

Just making valid points good sir. History has already written itself out and Lewis beat a way past his prime, run down tyson. No one will deny that.
Neither will I. Prime Tyson is always going to be a what if but put him in the ring with some of the huge guys after him in his prime and he’s going to get tagged hard. Neither of us know what it’s like being in his brain so I understand this is all hypothetical but I think, for example, he would have struggled with a fighter like vitali.

When I look at lewis’ resume I don’t consider the Tyson he fought as a huge plus.

i tend to agree with jack newfield who when asked could tyson beat lewis after three years in prison, he said "tyson could beat lewis after three years in the electric chair" even though that may not have even been true, it speaks volumes to the level of raw talent mike had. yes he was short, but he could have beat anyone who beat him and most of them with ease. Holyfield would be a tought fight for anyone when he was on. I can't see the lewis who was struggling with bruno and mercer and losing to mccall as a guy who inspired any confidence. He happened to prove himself as champion, before that, i thought he was a hype job for good reason.

i tend to agree with jack newfield who when asked could tyson beat lewis after three years in prison, he said "tyson could beat lewis after three years in the electric chair" even though that may not have even been true, it speaks volumes to the level of raw talent mike had. yes he was short, but he could have beat anyone who beat him and most of them with ease. Holyfield would be a tought fight for anyone when he was on. I can't see the lewis who was struggling with bruno and mercer and losing to mccall as a guy who inspired any confidence. He happened to prove himself as champion, before that, i thought he was a hype job for good reason.
Fucking good post and assessment. I’ll just say I said what he said.

Back