How come Silva, GSP, Fedor, Jones etc proved they were GOATS and now we call Conor a GOAT so early??

Who is calling Conor the GOAT ? It's clearly Jon Jones at this point in time it's not even debatable, I wanted to see Cormier win the last one but you got to give Jon his props he is the man.

Last edited:
Because of his beard

maxresdefault.jpg

Don't know exactly, but Anderson has never had a win as good as Jose Aldo.
Did you see his title winning fight vs Rich Franklin? or the rematch? KO-ing Aldo was impressive and you can't call it lucky since he meant to do it but it was extremely fortunate. Aldo KO'd Cub in 8 seconds so its not like Conor is the only one to ever score a KO in the first strike of the fight. Anderson rematched Franklin which is the difference. He then defended a record number of times. GSP has the record for WW title defenses. Jones has the record for LHW defenses. Fedor went 10 years undefeated and despite fighting some cans he also fought top level guys and fought the consensus #2 HW 3 times.

I appreciate Conor's talent, I dislike the antics very much. There are many who hate Conor and with good reason. He and his fans are incredibly annoying. However, he earned his spot at the top of the 145 division although he was generally given favorable matchups. The UFC helped McGregor avoid top fighters with wrestling credentials with the exception of Mendes who only had 2 weeks notice to get in shape for a 5-round title fight. But he beat a young Holloway (as did Poirier), Poirier, Mendes and Aldo. Then no defenses at 145. Zero.

Next he gets choked out by 10-day notice Nate "Cabo" Diaz. Conor flat out quit. As soon as the fight turned bad, he gave up his back and made no effort to defend against the RNC. He simply wanted to avoid the punishment and the humbling position.

He wins a decision rematch vs. Nate Diaz who is a gate keeper at 155 and his reward is to jump over a long line of worthy title contenders at 155 and fight Alvarez who in hind sight was very fortunate to be fighting Dos Anjos at that moment in time. Dos Anjos had entered a period of great difficulty making weight at 155 as an older fighter. Dos Anjos became a very weakened fighter at 155 including black-outs leading up to weigh-ins and he had to move up to 170. Conor's thank you for the gifted Alvarez title shot is to never defend the 155 belt.

In summary, zero title defenses which means you can't call him a great champion. I think he was a talented and over-sized 145 fighter (much bigger and longer reach). I think he is a talented 155 fighter which is his natural weight class, but I think there are several fights he would lose at 155 beginning with Ferguson who is waiting for his chance. Unfortunately McGregor isn't interested in defending his belt because he knows that Ferguson is dangerous on the feet and ground with very long reach. Tough as nails too. Bad match up for Conor...hence no hurry to fight Ferguson.

Sherdog gonna Sherdog.
Every new UFC champion is the new divisional GOAT.
Is normal.

Cause the sport has grown so the "stars" get more attention, even if they are mostly talk like mcgregor. Only people who barely follow mma at all consider him the goat. In reality he's not even top 20 ever.

Conor is great but he isn't even the goat fw, his best win at lw is Eddie (which is very good but nothing out of this world)
And like some posters said he is 1-1 against Nate Diaz...
He is far from the goat he has only one great win (Aldo) and few very good ones
Compare his resume to Gsp/Jon/Fedor/Anderson...you can t honestly tell me he is the goat
Ps : 0 ufc title defense,once he defend it a few times against legit top contenders this conversation will be more interesting.

Who is calling Conor the GOAT ? It's clearly Jon Jones at this point in time it's not even debatable, I wanted to see Cormier win the last one but you got to give Jon his props he is the man.

Mighty Mouse has more title defenses and didn't fail any drug tests. GSP beat better comp. Fedor went undefeated for longer. Anderson had success across 3 divisions.

It's very debatable.

We never did this with Fedor and the rest, we waited long enough for them to achieve goat status first. Imagine if we went fucking nuts about Jones when he was still starting his UFC career?

Shouldn't we at least wait to see how Conor stacks up at the end of his career???

Why are we so in on Conor, a man who's never defended a belt?

I would get it if he had already defended like 5 times by now but ....

I just don't get it

I can't even properly say what I'm trying to say right now
Come on man. You post here enough to know it was started as a joke before he was even close to a title shot. The best part is some retards believed it. He has shitty cardio, a terrible ground game, and bad striking defense. He will never be in a serious discussion about GOAT.

We never did this with Fedor and the rest, we waited long enough for them to achieve goat status first. Imagine if we went fucking nuts about Jones when he was still starting his UFC career?

Shouldn't we at least wait to see how Conor stacks up at the end of his career???

I just don't get it

THE UFC HYPE MACHINE = MORE MONEY MORE VIEWERS

Did you see his title winning fight vs Rich Franklin? or the rematch? KO-ing Aldo was impressive and you can't call it lucky since he meant to do it but it was extremely fortunate. Aldo KO'd Cub in 8 seconds so its not like Conor is the only one to ever score a KO in the first strike of the fight. Anderson rematched Franklin which is the difference. He then defended a record number of times. GSP has the record for WW title defenses. Jones has the record for LHW defenses. Fedor went 10 years undefeated and despite fighting some cans he also fought top level guys and fought the consensus #2 HW 3 times.
Aldo is another level opponent then Rich Franklin.

Aldo is another level opponent then Rich Franklin.
What Anderson did to Franklin was on another level compared to a first shot KO. Conor won't rematch Aldo because he is afraid he can't beat him again or at least not as impressively. Anderson wasn't afraid of the same thing with Rich and he actually did beat him again.

What Anderson did to Franklin was on another level compared to a first shot KO. Conor won't rematch Aldo because he is afraid he can't beat him again or at least not as impressively. Anderson wasn't afraid of the same thing with Rich and he actually did beat him again.
Still I'm trying to answer TS's question. Beating a GOAT like Aldo in 13 seconds is going to make people think you're a GOAT. Beating Rich isn't quite the same. Although he's a awesome opponent. Prime Aldo is probably top 5 best opponent beaten in history of MMA.

Still I'm trying to answer TS's question. Beating a GOAT like Aldo in 13 seconds is going to make people think you're a GOAT. Beating Rich isn't quite the same. Although he's a awesome opponent. Prime Aldo is probably top 5 best opponent beaten in history of MMA.
The answer to the TS's question is anyone who knows anything about MMA and isn't biased ie paid by the UFC or has a show or podcast etc doesn't call Conor GOAT. Connor McDavid just had an amazing season in the NHL but he isn't called the GOAT. He has the potential to be but time will tell. McGregor has the potential to be GOAT but quite frankly he will only be GOAT of the box office. I am sure he is very happy with that.

I just don't get it

The only people that mention McGregor among the greatest of all time are 13 year old kids that don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

I just don't get it

champ champ

<SelenaWow> This ^^^ from a 2001 account? So to be GOAT for you, you only need to have a mad amount of twitter followers. You must have won that account when they still were doing account bets.
LOL I was on here when you were still drinking breast milk. Im one of the original members and have watched a 100,000 trolls like yourself come and go on Sherdog.

If you cant grasp the concept that fame determines Greatness not skill, you cannot be helped. Conor has that. More people know who he is worldwide than any other fighter and more people worldwide want to see him fight than Jones, Miocic, Woodley, Bisping or any other fighter in the sport.

Deal with it.

LOL I was on here when you were still drinking breast milk. Im one of the original members and have watched a 100,000 trolls like yourself come and go on Sherdog.

If you cant grasp the concept that fame determines Greatness not skill, you cannot be helped. Conor has that. More people know who he is worldwide than any other fighter and more people worldwide want to see him fight than Jones, Miocic, Woodley, Bisping or any other fighter in the sport.

Deal with it.

If I was on breast milk you must have been on the other tit. I really don't give a f*k how famous you are "I'm a fight fan" I care how good you fight. I'll leave the popularity contest to fanboyz/girlz like you.

Just because someone is famous don't make them good, just known. You go right ahead and keep following Conor's fame hopefully out the door to his next sport maybe baseball. I'll be here waiting on the next great fighter, and not giving a sh!t to how many twitter followers he/she may have.

I have seen very, very few calling McGregor the GOAT. Most of the ones that do, do it as a joke. A bit like Platinum Mike being the GOAT (there were several of these threads a while back). Of course there are some that think McGregor is the GOAT, but I think you might be exaggerating this and don't understand sarcasm, irony and trolling. As soon as we have a new champ in any weightclass, there are multiple threads started that discuss if fighter X is already the GOAT or if fighter X beats Y and Z, will he be that GOAT? We've seen multiple threads discussing this in regards to Weidman, Rockhold, Miocic and Woodley. The question is, why are you so hung up about McGregor? Any sane person knows he's not the GOAT as he still has plenty to prove, same goes for the for other fighters I mentioned previously.

Back