How come Howard of HCK hates modern BJJ guys?

kenpeters8

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Anyone know how come Howard Liu, owner of Howard Combat Kimonos, hates modern BJJ guys so much? He's always posting funny post and memes on his Facebook making fun of modern BJJ guys, calling them scissor bangers, butt scooters, dorks that rather wants a fancy gi over using BJJ to survive a real fight, etc. And he's a BJJ black belt him. Everything he posted actually makes sense and is funny, but I'm just wondering why he hates modern BJJ guys so much.

Here's his FB pages:
https://www.facebook.com/Howard-Combat-Kimonos-174962565879355/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED&fref=nf

https://www.facebook.com/HOWARDCOMBATKIMONOS?fref=ts

Last edited:
Maybe the Howard gis are slow quality they get shredded to pieces when you get caught in worm guard?

Maybe the Howard gis are slow quality they get shredded to pieces when you get caught in worm guard?
You're joking right? LOL! Howard's gis are the most durable gis I've ever owned. I guess maybe Howard is mad cause majority of the modern BJJ players don't want to buy his thick and tough durable gis, and rather buy the new cheaply made shits that's overly expensive.

BJJ players don't want to buy his thick and tough durable gis

Just joking.
The IBJJF in the gi rule doesn't encourage thick and durable.
It's weird that someone who makes bjj gi seems to hate the sport.

HCK has a website from 1997 and the gi looks really ugly (looking at the photos) they shouldn't be surprised that it's not cool.

Last edited:
I liked the HCK gis and owned several.

That being said, there's a reason they pretty much dropped off. The IBJJF weigh in system is a major one. But there's also the fact that it's just a very old school constructed gi. There are better modern options.

The super heaviness of the gi didn't really prolong the life compared to lighter weight gis in my experience. I wore out three different HCKs. They all lasted a couple of years, but so do even my lightest weight comp gis. It just didn't matter in durability.

I don't think the thickness of the material does much increase durability. Washing and mechanical friction wears away at the outer fibers. Once they get frayed enough, the whole weave starts to unravel into a hole despite how thick it is.

The super thick material seems to shrink more (maybe more cotton fibers per square inch to shrink?). So sizing was difficult due to the massive shrinkage first wash.

They're more of a pain to pack because they take up more room and weigh more. It doesn't matter so much packing one gi. Packing four gis for an extended trip it really starts to matter.

The biggest everyday downside is that it simply takes forever to dry them out after washing. If you hang dry, it takes several days. If you use the dryer, it has to stay in longer which wears it out faster.

Thinner weaves, ripstop pants, and rubber in the gi collar just makes life easier. I'd go with that if available at the same price point (and it is nowadays).

Anyone know how come Howard Liu, owner of Howard Combat Kimonos, hates modern BJJ guys so much? He's always posting funny post and memes on his Facebook making fun of modern BJJ guys, calling them scissor bangers, butt scooters, dorks that rather wants a fancy gi over using BJJ to survive a real fight, etc. And he's a BJJ black belt him. Everything he posted actually makes sense and is funny, but I'm just wondering why he hates modern BJJ guys so much.

Here's his FB pages:
https://www.facebook.com/Howard-Combat-Kimonos-174962565879355/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED&fref=nf

https://www.facebook.com/HOWARDCOMBATKIMONOS?fref=ts

so you were on his facebook page and didn't just fucking ask him???

He posts on the UG (or used to) and is an incredibly curmudgeonly fellow. Gives off harder "get off my lawn" old man vibes than almost anybody I've seen online that wasn't joking. Honestly to the point that he seems kinda miserable, and it's a little sad.

Howard and his gis and his game are stuck in the 90's.

Respeck to a pioneer, but damn dude.

A little contrast stitching and he could be back on top.

Back